Here's my llittle rig I've had since it was brand new in '94

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, got my canopy for sure, and I've asked Dan to repaint it for me, and he will attach it to my truck with clamps for now.  I want the clamps because I may be able to get the type of think KK has on his DIY that raises his topper 6 inches.  I don't want the canopy bolted on so I can change it up a little later.

So, that would allow me to make at least a bed in back, not tent needed.  Before anyone gives me a hard time about having it repainted :D I don't want an ugly topper on my pretty, little truck, so there!! :p

Wow, ran across this on Youtube, this might work for someone:

Mod edit: video subject is a DIY Truck Camper Shell | Pop Up Top
G0ldengirl, please include a description with any links that you post. Thanks!

Interesting video... I'm a bit surprised that the fiberglass didn't break where he has the gas piston attached.

A couple of decades ago I had a Nissan truck with a cap on it.  

I found some 2x2 foot sofa cushions at a thrift store.  Therefore, I built a 2 foot wide bed that just cleared the wheel well. 

Under the cushions, the slats had 2x2 foot pegboard on them to give access for storage.  

The wood under the cushion nearest to the door could be lifted, turned 90 degrees and set down to a lower level.  I'd put the cushion back in place and put the middle cushion against the side of the canopy.  With the tailgate up and the window open I had an easy chair, with plenty of headroom, an armrest on one side and a coffee table on the other.

Now that's some ingenuity for you ;) I know I could come up with some things, and my canopy will be back on in less than a week. I plan to just go for some camping trips this Summer, and maybe come Fall, I'll be willing to truly venture out ;) I just know it would change my life for the better, and if it didn't work out, I would just have to wait for another low-income apartment to come up for me! I could get out of California too which would make me very grateful ;) Denise

This is something I could do for sure, the more I see people out there in small spaces, the more I learn I can do this too. I'll have my canopy on, and figure I could "maybe" afford the wood, insulation, and I will need a piece of carpet for floor, and I guess another board of some type under that.

The tacoma is a bit bigger than mine, but I can already tell I would not need that wide of bed. I sleep in a Fullsize bed now, and im in the same teenie space all night, lol ;)

Just curious, Denise, what are the measurements of your truck's bed. Usable space in my Ranger is 71x51ish...between the wheel wells it's 39".

Ok, these should be right, had to take 2 snips so you could see column headers:mazda2.JPGmazda.JPG

Attachments

• mazda2.JPG
    mazda2.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 11
  • mazda.JPG
    mazda.JPG
    14.4 KB · Views: 11
Got a freebie, hoping Doug can use it in building a sleeping area into my truck-bed.  Had some holdups from Covid Vaccine (2nd one) made me sick, but better today.  The freebee is a "like new" Futon Frame.  Seat part and back same measurements, 6' X 2.2'.  Just happened to see it same day I heard about wood-prices, go figure ;)

Having an issue getting the guy that has the canopy laying around his place, to put it back on my truck.  Hopefully today as Doug asked me this morning if I was ready for a roadtrip.  I do know the clamps have been bought and ready to hook it up.  If this all comes together, I'll take pics of the project if Doug is ok with that, Denise

Attachments

• solid_sides_futon_frame_basic.jpg
    solid_sides_futon_frame_basic.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 3
Why is he reluctant to put it back on your truck?
That futon probably just saved you some good bucks!

He isn't reluctant, he's not responsible. Beggars can't be choosers I guess, but I did get a good job done. The last time we actually spoke on the phone, he was going to call me yesterday, but didn't so I called him again today, go his voicemail so we'll see.

Finally got my canopy put back on tonight.  Ready to roll on Monday a.m.  Need a few more things from the store, oil change.  Here's a pic of my canopy and I don't think I'll need it raised up any higher.  I'd be sitting anyway, and there's plenty of room as long as we don't put stilts on my bed, LOL!!  Looking forward to meeting Doug and Paulette, and seeing places I grew up around again.  Hope you all are having a nice weekend, Denise

PS I didn't measure yet how much head-room there is and the pic isn't the best, but at least it's not a flat-top type, like the same height as my truck roof ;)

Attachments

• truck w canopy.jpg
    truck w canopy.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 18
Hey that looks good. You will like Doug and Paulette they both are good people. Tell them hey for me. Highdesertranger

Looks great. It's a similar shape to mine, so I expect your inside height is around 41 inches. Mine is about 47 inches with a 5.5 inch riser. If you find you need more room, the risers could be added at any time.

thanks to all, it was nice to read this a.m. and be encouraged  ;) I know once I get my butt out on the highway I'll settle into it.  Really been home more than I had to be. Covid was handy as an excuse not to go anywhere.  Just the grocery stores & walking my dog.  Anyway, you can tell I've missed other's company when I get long-winded on the forum.  Thanks again, and I will take some photos while I'm with Doug and Paulette, Denise

super safe travels and you are gonna be in good company with D and P :) enjoy your new adventures!