New here to figure out if I'm up for the vanlife

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbase28

Reaction score
Hello all!
After commenting already in a different thread I heard that there is this Newcomer Corner and I apologize for not starting here. 
To myself:
I am not a vandweller yet, but am trying to figure out if I could make it work. It's not a new idea to me as it's been marinating for years in my head. With the current situation it's proven that I'm able to work remotely in my current job from home.  So I'm thinking I may be able to pull it off while following my passion for travel. I have the idea in my head that I may just start by taking it easy and trying to do it for weekends first to understand if I can get all things working (flawless high speed internet connection to remote into my work computer & designated desk area in the van are a must to continue my work). 
I'm no willing to take the full risk for buying an expensive van yet, so I'm trying to find something between 2-3k & furnish the whole thing myself as I consider myself a good handywoman. I have fun doing these things and don't fear the work. I have some experience in maintaining a car (owning a subaru 2015 that will stay my primary vehicle for the time being), but am a little afraid of actually replacing things under the hood. I understand that the risk for things to break is way higher when the budget for a van is as low as mine. 
I believe that the next weeks/month could give me the time to work by myself on a van without anyone around (social/physical distancing). So this may be the time. The second thought is that it may not be the worst idea to have a built-out van in case I loose my job. 

I will mainly need your help here to give me advice on a reliable van and how to set up the internet while on the road. 
I've already researched and watched a video by John or Bob (? forgot the name), who's recommending to not buy any Ford E-250 after 2000 because of issues with the engine (aluminum caps? that were fixed by 2008). He says that after 2000 he would go with a Chevy Express 5.7 (if I remember correctly). I like the GMC Savana for its windows. I rather have a few more windows, because I just need the light mentally.

Okay, hope my intro didn't let you fall asleep as it may have become a bit long. I just wanted you to know that I'm trying to do my research before posting a new thread when the topics have already been there.

Alrighty, looking forward to interesting conversations on here.
mbase28

Welcome mbase to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

that's what we are here for is to help.

highdesertranger

Welcome mbase28 - You will find lots of answers to your questions here but like anywhere else the answers (opinions) vary so you still have to decide for yourself; but if you ask your questions here you will be making an "educated decision". My first opinion to share with you is about windows. I understand needing the light, I am bipolar and have a brain injury. But... in the summer windows become heaters so plan for a way to let in light but cover and insulate when you need to. Best of luck, you can do it, if you want to. If you don't mind, as you keep posting, let us know what region of the country you are in.:)