Planning a test-run to get my Topper-intererior built

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G0ldengirl68

Reaction score
I am planning to meetup with someone that has offered to help me build a sleeping area in my small truck.  I need to figure out how to make it through at least 1 night just in the truck bed alone, and after that, I will have a platform that the man will build in my truck.  I thought about buying another tent since I got rid of it, as well as the rest of my camp-gear, last year.  I really didn't think I'd ever be going camping again.  Teach me for thinking :-/   I don't want to spend the money on a tent though as my money will need to go for wood, and any other supplies he needs me to buy.

I'm kind of excited, but a the same time, I'm kind of scared.  It's just going to be the first time in 6 years I've gone out to camp.  I loved it last time, I mean I loved it!!  I had to haul water from the Elk River to my camp, even washed my clothes and hung them up in camp.  Rigged a shower thingy I bought at Bimart, but just swam mostly in the lovely, little swimming hole. 

This will be 300 miles round-trip so we'll see how my little truck does.  Havin it looked over by my mechanic before I go, and getting new tires on my now empty, credit card but sure glad I can do that!  I don't normally charge anything but I do try to keep a balance so that my credit stays good.  I have savings to buy materials etc.  and still have that cushion for emergencies.  I also have road-side service, always carry that, and full coverage is suprisingley low for my truck but probably because it a '94 and right at 177K miles on it.

I also wanted to mention how neat the meetup on Zoom was with the HOWA ladies.  Some are camped near me right now.  I can't remember who told me about it here on CRVL, but I sure thank them for it.  They had a good topic which was all about how they managed, and felt about having to discard their homes full of belongings etc.  I don't have a lot, but some things would be hard to leave behind.  But I believe I would do it if my truck is pretty road-worthy.  The trip won't be until after the 1st, and actually, I can't go until after the 2nd as I am getting my 2nd Maderna.

I was fine with the first, and hoping the 2nd doesn't make me sick and ruin the plan, but I do know things happen for a reason, and I am very accepting of most things that happen, or don't happen, Denise

Denise - easy peasy. Just ask Doug what wood he will need if he is going to use plywood. If it’s a piece of plywood just by it now and toss it in the truck. You can sleep right on top of it. Or get yourself an air mattress.

True, that is easy, so I will ask him. I didn't know if it was ok to mention who was doing the job for me, but it must be ok ;) Thanks Cammalu!!

Yes Denise. Doug has helped MANY a nomad in their builds over the years. He doesn’t hide and is extremely helpful with everything. He can cook too.

LOL :) Ok Cammalu, I feel better now ;) I'm going over and try to contact KKlowel on where he got his water jug, for his sink. I see some affordable sinks on Amazon and Doug told me to get any items I really like for the build. I need to measure my bed and have all that done as well before I buy anything. I just want simple as I can, so I'll buy some type of insulation, something for a toilet, with liners/bags. Just so much to think about. One thing at a time right :)

Doug's just messaging me now!! I'm so glad I have so many questions and they don't have a signal all the time as you probably know while they are on the road ;)

Doug knows how to do everything. You are in good hands.

Doug and Paulette are both good people. Lots of good karma over in their camp wherever they are. Highdesertranger

tx2sturgis said:
Are we talking about THE Dougie Depot??

Service Geezer Extraordinaire?

:D
Yes we are ;)  I wasn't sure I could say on here, but glad I can.  I am gett'in 'er ready, her is me, my truck and mimmie the dog, all er's ;)

highdesertranger said:
Doug and Paulette are both good people.  Lots of good karma over in their camp wherever they are.  Highdesertranger
I love talking with them, I know I'll be fine.  Now all we need be concerned with is, will they be fine with me ;)

Attachments

• disgusted baby.jpg
    disgusted baby.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 2
This is exciting! I'm glad you're going for it! I got my water jugs at a local supermarket... I'm not sure what's available in your area, but there must be one that has them.
I haven't taken any pictures of my plumbing setup yet...just got back from buying clamps for the hoses, and we're cooking supper now. I'll either get them this evening or in the morning before it gets hot out.
I hope your truck works out as well as mine has!

Hi KK ;)

The one that I see in pic is a water-jug, Ok ;) got it. So you have 2, for fresh and gray water, got it ;) I couldn't get to all the things you bought, but I am going to work on that today to just look at prices. Doug will help me pick out the stuff at a Home depot. I'm just as excited for you, and the travels ahead, Denise :)