Here I am again, a year later.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
moondancer5 said:
.  I am 72 years old

I did not see you or anyone mention this, but are you a Veteran?

If so, you many eligible for benefits.
Edit: There are also benefits for spouse of deceased Veteran.

There is VA Pension, which is based on war time service and income (SS check on most cases are under their limit),
and then there is VA Compensation, which based on service connected disability.

There are also Veterans organizations that will help with your claim for free, many of them inside the VA benefits building on the first floor.

You can ask me anything about VA benefits. If you are not comfortable talking to a stranger, I can find out your nearest benefits offices for you.

Have a read here: http://www.benefits.va.gov/BENEFITS/Applying.asp

sometimesido said:
I did not see you or anyone mention this, but are you a Veteran?

If so, you many eligible for benefits.
Edit: There are also benefits for spouse of deceased Veteran.

There is VA Pension, which is based on war time service and income (SS check on most cases are under their limit),
and then there is VA Compensation, which based on service connected disability.

There are also Veterans organizations that will help with your claim for free, many of them inside the VA benefits building on the first floor.

You can ask me anything about VA benefits. If you are not comfortable talking to a stranger, I can find out your nearest benefits offices for you.

Have a read here: http://www.benefits.va.gov/BENEFITS/Applying.asp

No, I am not a veteran.But thank you.

It appears you could do front desk, retail sales or drive a shuttle, some light duty seasonal job that would furnish housing while you save enough to get you going. Check out coolworks or some of the other seasonal placement that has housing. Where I'm at we have a shuttle driver that is 80 years young.

moondancer5 said:
Well here I am a year later and a year older.  Have gotten rid of a lot of stuff but had to use the money to live on since my SS is so small.  So have not been able to save to get into a van.  Looks like the best I will be able to do is live in my Isuzu Rodeo (rear interior 4 ft x 5 ft x 3 ft in height)  I have done without tv or dinners out or movies for the past 2 years.  As long as I stay in my decaying (unsellable) mobile home I will have to keep selling my things to pay ever increasing electric, water/sewer and lot rent. Now I feel like a dog chasing its tail.  I keep selling and paying and surviving.  But I feel like I am paralyzed.  Just cannot get to the point where I am ready.  I am 72 years old and fear that I will die in this decaying almost 40 year old mobile home which  is crammed in an over 55 park in Sunny, Hot and Humid Florida.  The summer air conditioning bills are so high that I am still paying them off in Spring.  And I must admit it is very kind of the electric company to work with me on this.  I have my a/c set at 86, but I cannot afford it to be cooler, and not afford to turn it off.  I live in an area very dependant on winter visitors so selling things in summer is pretty much not possible.  The summer residents are like I am, retired and living on a very fixed income in small mobile homes with no room for anything else.  I know that this sounds very much like whining but I needed to lay out the problem so that I could ask those on the Forum if there is something that I do not see.  If anyone has any thought, ideas, or suggestions on this situation.  Quite frankly I welcome any input on this situation because I truly seem stuck in the mud here.  I just cannot see and steps that I could take to get myself out of this situation sooner.  I truly want to be as Captain Kirk says, "out there".
Hi Moondancer, I feel your pain. I have had those days when I felt like a "dog chasing his tail". For things are being to turn around when I decided to stop chasing my tail. I'm creating a life that fits me and my budget, and no longer allow others/society to determine what I must have to live (their dream--not mine). I knew once my children were on their own that I no longer need that 3bd+ 2 1/2be house I was struggling to pay. I sold it, rented a 5th wheel trailer on a beautiful ranch--a the Nomad bug hit me. I was happier than I had ever been in my adult life. By the way, I'm 62. I am now starting over to build that same life on my own property in Arizona.

For you, I believe if you can first not look at your situation as destitute, and see the resources (however small) that you have, you will find ways to live comfortably on that fixed income. I took early retirement, so my income is very limited too, however, I have eliminated the fluff and put my money only on things important to me and living life. For me that meant stop paying rent and utilities just for a dwelling place. To beagle to pick and choose the the scenery I love is more important to me than keeping up with society. Are you able to rent your place out, let someone else pay that mortgage (even if you don't make a profit) at least the burden of paying mortgage will be lifted. If you own a car or van you can equip it to live in for a few months (fairly comfortably) while you put money away for a liveable RV.  I personally will be living in a large tent (extreme weather rent) until I purchase my first RV in few months. You can  sell everything you don't need. I hope you find a workable situation for LIVING the rest of your life. 
Peace & blessings,
Pearl

moondancer5, I'm hoping you're safe and sound with the news I'd been reading about FL...

Gardenias said:
moondancer5, I'm hoping you're safe and sound with the news I'd been reading about FL...

Thank you. Yes, I am safe. Just got home phone and internet back on today. Its been out since Hurricane Irma came thru on the 10th of this month.  My dog and I are fine. My car has some more scratches and a couple of small dents courtesy of Irma. My mobile home is slightly altered. Like missing some roof, lots of roof leaking where roof still is, and experiencing some electrical problems now.  Things interesting to say the least. We were without power for at least 9 days.  But life goes on. I have been told the mobile home park I live in was 75 % destroyed. So, I am not sure what happens next.  I guess I just take one step at a time.  Again, thank you for caring.

Juanitalee and Willow

Holy crap!  ..I can't imagine what a mess that must be.  Maybe... as you see' what happens next, you'll see a way to totally revamp your
lifestyle...  I'm hoping anyway.   Bless you.  :heart:

JustACarSoFar said:
Holy crap!  ..I can't imagine what a mess that must be.  Maybe... as you see' what happens next, you'll see a way to totally revamp your
lifestyle...  I'm hoping anyway.   Bless you.  :heart:

Yes, its a mess for sure.  But my little dog and I are alive.  Have thrown out lots of ruined stuff already, including furniture.  Still have more to throw out and its still pouring every day.  Lost and am losing a lot that I thought I might be able to sell for something.  But, its ok.  It has to be.  Am taking one step at a time and throwing out, sorting anything that I can salvage to sell off at a yard sale I am hoping to have next month.  And then we will see what has to happen. Maybe it God's way of hurrying me along.  Anyway, thanks for caring. :)

moondancer5 said:
Well here I am a year later and a year older.  Have gotten rid of a lot of stuff but had to use the money to live on since my SS is so small.  So have not been able to save to get into a van.  Looks like the best I will be able to do is live in my Isuzu Rodeo (rear interior 4 ft x 5 ft x 3 ft in height)  I have done without tv or dinners out or movies for the past 2 years.  As long as I stay in my decaying (unsellable) mobile home I will have to keep selling my things to pay ever increasing electric, water/sewer and lot rent. Now I feel like a dog chasing its tail.  I keep selling and paying and surviving.  But I feel like I am paralyzed.  Just cannot get to the point where I am ready.  I am 72 years old and fear that I will die in this decaying almost 40 year old mobile home which  is crammed in an over 55 park in Sunny, Hot and Humid Florida.  The summer air conditioning bills are so high that I am still paying them off in Spring.  And I must admit it is very kind of the electric company to work with me on this.  I have my a/c set at 86, but I cannot afford it to be cooler, and not afford to turn it off.  I live in an area very dependant on winter visitors so selling things in summer is pretty much not possible.  The summer residents are like I am, retired and living on a very fixed income in small mobile homes with no room for anything else.  I know that this sounds very much like whining but I needed to lay out the problem so that I could ask those on the Forum if there is something that I do not see.  If anyone has any thought, ideas, or suggestions on this situation.  Quite frankly I welcome any input on this situation because I truly seem stuck in the mud here.  I just cannot see and steps that I could take to get myself out of this situation sooner.  I truly want to be as Captain Kirk says, "out there".

Hi first time posting here so hope this gets to you.  I am 73 years old a nd have a 2004 Rav4. I live in Bradenton!.  Christmas or right after I am packing that car along with my old dog and heading for Quartzite, AZ.  Going to Bob's RTR.  I am assuming you have a car soooooooo you have two months to sell your stuff including the trailer, get ready to head out to Ariizona.  You can do this.  Nothing will ever get better for you so let's make it happen.  You will follow me out and we will go.
How does that sound?  You have time to get this done. We will have our own space but can share meals and be protection too.  I am having a yardsale next weekend and I am selling everything and leaving with what I can take. WE can stop on the way when you know your financial situation and I know mine and get supplies. Please contact me. No excuses.

Could probably sell what's left of the mobile for scrap and either use that for a truck cap or truck bed tent. Might take a little while but you could save up for a cheap vintage camper to fix up as your finances allow. Stop at a thrift store and look for coleman stuff (stove, lanterns, etc) and get a nice warm sleeping bag with a comfy mat to put under it. Shouldn't be much but it'll get you on the road to independence.

;)

moondancer5 said:

[font="Helvetica Neue",Helvetica,sans-serif]Save[/font]

Hi, not sure if you got my message so if you get this, please let me know you received it. Thanks.  Hi first time posting here so hope this gets to you.  I am 73 years old a nd have a 2004 Rav4. I live in Bradenton!.  Christmas or right after I am packing that car along with my old dog and heading for Quartzite, AZ.  Going to Bob's RTR.  I am assuming you have a car soooooooo you have two months to sell your stuff including the trailer, get ready to head out to Ariizona.  You can do this.  Nothing will ever get better for you so let's make it happen.  You will follow me out and we will go.

How does that sound?  You have time to get this done. We will have our own space but can share meals and be protection too.  I am having a yardsale next weekend and I am selling everything and leaving with what I can take. WE can stop on the way when you know your financial situation and I know mine and get supplies. Please contact me. No excuses.
grace and ferris

Grace and moondancer5, are you seeing your private messages.

Latest posts