Greetings

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willingtorelocate

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

I'm a professional nomad and tech worker. I've been travelling more or less full time for the last 25 years, doing technical and programming work on the internet. I've tried the remote thing, but I feel like I do better in offices, sitting in little cubibles, wowing my city bound co-workers with my tales of adventure and intrigue. I had been renting rooms in every city I land in, but it meant living with a lot of crazy people. I have stories. 

Last year, as I was passing through saint louis, I read this great article about how short term tech workers like me all around the country are picking up RV's and congregating in cities. I thought this was an absolutely fantastic idea. I know it sounds weird, but I had been living pretty light for someone who makes the kind of money I do. When you move every six months, you don't really hold on to a lot. And living in a camper seemed like a way to have a little more freedom and a richer lifestyle. 

So, last summer, after concluding my involvement with the most recent roomate, I bought my first camper trailer and I hitched it to my beautiful old Ford truck that I've had since 2005 (I freaking love my truck). The camper's a 93 Sun Breeze, I think. Nineteen foot. Nothing too exciting, but it was affordable, and I've been living in it ever since. Three months later, i got a new job, this time in new hampshire, and I drove it out. 

Found a guy who owns a vacant lot in a residential neighborhood about a mile from work, and rented the space. 
Learning how to deal with the extreme cold out here has been a challenge, but I'm proud to say that I'm surviving it. And I'm saving like, 90% of my paycheck now, which is nice. 

I was on Youtube the other day, looking for tips and tricks to the RV lifestyle, and I found a channel called CheapRVLiving, and that led me here.  :D So I thought I would pop in and say hi.

Hi! 

I'm truly excited about meeting other fulltimers, and maybe learning something.

Well, welcome aboard willingtorelocate.

I'm a newbie around her myself. For that matter, I'm not even a vandweller. Though I do have some experience living out of a pickup truck back when I was making my living out on the road. My wife and I are newly retired and considering giving up our stationary home and going nomad. We'll start with some exploratory camping trips this summer. Mostly in order to test the rig we're putting together.

It sounds as though you're experienced enough that you're practically on the same level as those folks around here who've gone nomad years ago.

Welcome willing to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

bluegoatwoods said:
Well, welcome aboard willingtorelocate.

I'm a newbie around her myself.  For that matter, I'm not even a vandweller.  Though I do have some experience living out of a pickup truck back when I was making my living out on the road.  

Well thank you for the warm welcome!

I can't really speak for anyone else. I'm in such a weird place in terms of my career choices that all it really took for me was the knowledge that it could be done, and the desire to do it. A lot of people here are interested in living lighter, but I was living light to begin with, and my current state of things feels pretty luxurious by comparison.

The last time I did anything like this, I was in my early 20's. I spent a year camping around the country, in national parks on no budget at all. I lived my first car, a beat up 1974 vw rabbit. But honestly, I don't think I had the mechanics of it worked out anywhere near as well as I do now.

bluegoatwoods said:
My wife and I are newly retired and considering giving up our stationary home and going nomad.  We'll start with some exploratory camping trips this summer. Mostly in order to test the rig we're putting together.

Dude, I am excited for you! There's so much out there to see, so many interesting stops along the way.
Are you planning on doing a lot of travelling? Or staying pretty close to one place for awhile?

bluegoatwoods said:
It sounds as though you're experienced enough that you're practically on the same level as those folks around here who've gone nomad years ago.

I don't know about that, some of these guys are experts. But thanks for the kind words.