Getting my tiny home/ cabin Thursday!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, thanks for the information, I'll definitely go a different route. This site is great, I'd have been lost without it the last few years :)

For the rustic look, just use some stain on the existing wood.

There's not a lot of exposed wood up there since I have it all covered in insulation. I think I may go with an idea that's pretty out there but I think it will look nice and be very inexpensive and will work fine for wall covering.

I've seen canvas painters clothes used effectively for ceiling and wall coverings. Just stretch it out taunt and use large headed screws or cup washers to hold it in place.

In San Fran I put a shed on cement blocks 2 x 6 runners and 1 1/4 PT plywood those sheets are heavy. 10 years and standing tall and straight. That looks like a great option to a house congrats the kids will love it

There is an inexpensive product called "car siding"

We use luan or paneling for ceiling in basements where drop ceiling tiles are too expensive to be practical. I hate drywall ceilings in basements because cutting into them for access is an eventuality. With the paneling/luan screwed in place, it is only slightly more work for access than drop ceiling tiles, just have to remove a few screws.

The problem, as noted, is sagging. We use furring strips on top of the sheets, perpendicular to the joists(rafters in your case) to support the material, usually 24" on center. It tends to have a rustic look to it, we have done both painted luan/smooth wood styles and paneling/stained rough cut wood styles. You can do just long perpendicular runners, or make a grid pattern for aesthetics, I've found both to look decent. We've never had panel sag once these strips are in place. It's important if you do strips in just one direction to go perpendicular though - the screws into the joists will support the material in one direction, the strips are there to prevent sagging between the ceiling cavities in the other direction. Store bought el-cheapo furring strips are a little too thin for my tastes (and I don't like the rolled edges), so we usually rip ours about 3/4" - 1" thick from dimensional lumber or rough saw planks.

Interesting idea
I'm also considering plywood, heck, you can always paint it

I'm just ready to get it done :) Everything is waiting for everything else to get completed. Oh, and I got a dog, so now the ground floor really needs to get finished so she doesn't decide to 'redecorate' or something.

But I'm house and petsitting as my *wife decided she needed to go out of town so can't do anything  for half the weekend. But the plan is to get it done tomorrow. That's the plan, anyway :)

Lol, I'm roughing in electrical and can't find my wire strippers
everything has to be a pain...

Check the laundry hamper. Blue jeans, back pocket... :D

How about good old tongue and groove 3" or 5" pine strips? Looks dynamite on ceilings, and Would really give you the rustic cabin look.

Unique-Tongue-and-Groove-Ceiling-Wood.jpg

Well, it's been a while. It's been hot. Real hot. And with the new dog and the kids, it's easy to find something else to do rather than melt out side measuring, cutting and then lugging everything inside to put up. 

But, finally got some stuff done and got to work:

cabin%20done_zpsmg6se2rz.jpg

This is from the bathroom area, my bed is to the right (with a sheet of plywood on it). The plan is to put a love seat in front of the bed and another one along the wall by the AC. That gives us plenty of seating. There will be a backwards 'L' shaped counter in the area by the door which will be the kitchen area and with a few bar stool, will also make a nice dinging and then homework area.

It's definitely not perfect but I did it all myself and like it (and purposely overlook the small gaps between panels and slightly too big cut outs for the outlets, etc ) 

This place is really very comfortable and I'm already wondering why I ever thought I needed a huge house.

nicely done, I'm not even done with wiring yet
Mostly due to life drama and a healthy dose of lazy

I love your cabin. This was my dream but I couldn't find land to put it on in west central Florida. I've resigned that I will probably end up staying in my larger house, turn the backyard into an oasis, and go camping every chance I get. It's a happy life so I can't complain.

Thanks, I was lucky to have some available land to put it on. It's really comfortable and is hopefully going to finish up quickly.

Hi Rugster, I think it came out excellent. It looks very comfortable and inviting. Great idea and great job all around. Thanks for sharing this with everyone, it's def giving me some good ideas.