Getting my tiny home/ cabin Thursday!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chrome with adblocker here and I see them just fine. Your dad looks like a great old guy. How fortunate to have him in your life. Love your tiny house, but I would extend the roofline (make a canopy) down the stairs to avoid water damage and slippery steps.

I am interested in doing a Tiny Home in Oregon near Ashland.  How do you get a post office box for Oregon if you are just moving there? Does anyone have info on this?

Thanks
Glenda From Oz :huh:

Well, the insulation is ready to put up. I'm getting that done this weekend!

I believe to get a P.O. box in Oregon you need a residential address. several of my friends in Oregon have P.O. boxes because the mail doesn't deliver to their house. highdesertranger

Nice build so far Rugster, I'll be interested to see what you do re insulation / vapor barrier, I'm pretty out of my depth with my own build and get all sorts of conflicting info
My tiny is a 10x16 utility so it'll have to be pretty basic
I hear you on the tiny house thing, I joined one such forum and there is like no traffic going on, which is why I came here, because tiny is tiny, and a building isn't all that different than an RV, aside form better construction
as far as carpet, I plan on not using that, I like to be able to just sweep and mop or use a shopvac
OTOH, there is a lot to be said for carpet when it's cold outside

Got most of the insulation completed today and added the AC

cabinac_zpsb7bw5wt3.jpg

Have you Caulked? Everything?? Where clear doesn't work, get some cans of the ?? kind that enlarges (it's yellow.. and in a Red can)
My daughter had a shed/home a few years back and Ithought she was a little over the top doing all that. BUT...
When I got mine I wasn't going to caulk.. BUT after working in it for several months, the ant's started in, so I decided to caulk it ALL, not just the double studs. Once I got up on the ladder meticulously going over it all, I was SOOOO glad I did. There are a lot of little holes you don't see unless you're looking (while caulking.) ;)

I apologize I didn't read the entire thread, and I see that you've got insulation already.. so.. I hope ya did that already!!! If one is having the yellow blow in/up stuff done, you can skip my way. (the slow cheap way!! LOL :)

I looked into spray foam insulation for mine
$800 to have a pro do it, ad DIY kits not much cheaper
Sheesh

If you can get someone to do it for $800 that's a good price. Our minimum is $1200 just to show up basically....

I believe it's a very good price, having priced the DIY kits at 350 or so for 1" (R6or7 value) I dunno what thickness he's talking, because we didn't discus that
I also dunno if that includes the ceiling, oops, forgot to ask
Still, bats would run me about $150 by my estimate, plus whatever for caulking / sealing for R 13
then there's the question of ridgeline + gable vents, which I've heard might not be so good

Made it over and finished up the insulation on the lofts.....except the end walls uses much small boards than the 2 by 4's so the R13 insulation will not work. Will have to figure something out, but will focus on getting the downstairs area finished and then finish the lofts.

Have you thought about adding furring strips vertically on each non 2x4 to make them thick enough so the R13 will fit?  Seems like an easy fix.

wow, mine uses 2x4s throughout, one reason I bought the Derksen
the furring strip idea sounds like a good solution

Ok, decided that for flooring I'm going to stain the lower level and coat it with polyurethane. My Dad did this to an old farmhouse we lived in and it looked awesome, so hopefully it will look decent in my tiny home.

Got into another stupid 'conversation' with my wife and said screw it. I'll be in the cabin as of Friday. Got my bed yesterday and the frame will be here Thursday. What else do I need? :) Well, a couple of things but I can get them this weekend.

Put on the second coat of stain, it looks good. FYI, when the can says it will cover 150 square feet, that's complete hogwash. At least, in normal circumstances. Will do the polyurethane tomorrow. Haven't been able to get the wall coverings yet so may not be able to make the move this weekend after all. I don't think it would be too smart to sleep in the cabin with the insulation open...

I did get the mattress and frame and can not wait to try it out. I'm hoping I'll get good sleep in the cabin on the new memory foam bed.

yeah staying in it with the walls open might not be so smart, lungs wise
*sigh* I wish i even had money to start my build

Ok, three coats of stain and 5 coats of polyurethane. Ordered the wall coverings so they should be in by this weekend I hope. Have my bed frame and mattress. I am so ready to go!

Tonight is my first night in the cabin. It's not done, but I got the floors done and the bed assembled and decided to try it out. So, I have the AC on, the new Vizio TV and Xbox360 and two lamps on :) And have fairly decent internet.

It's going to be weird but I think this is going to be a pretty nice tiny home for me and the kids. Pictures tomorrow :)

Well, this will be my third night at the tiny cabin and the kids will be with me this week. If I think that I'm now living in a storage shed, I have a split second of negative thought but then realize I have slept better the last two nights than I have in years. I wake up and almost jump out of bed. It is like someone took a hundred pound weight off my shoulders.

The foam mattresses on Amazon are an excellent deal and that's part of the reason I wake up content and hopeful. I know it won't be roses and rainbows all the time but I know this was the right decision for me at this point. I get paid next week and 20% of my income that was going to rent will be going into savings. I'll also give another 20% to my parents to defray the tiny amount of electricity I use and to help them do whatever they need it for. So, it is a win win on that account.

So, looking good so far! And buying the rest of the stuff I need this week :)