Getting my tiny home/ cabin Thursday!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob, what area is your land located? If it takes you a few years to get it set up, I'll buy one :) At that price it would be totally off grid, I assume.

Tjaybird said:
Good evening....I hope you start feeling better soon.  Isn't it aggravating to have something you really want to work on and then get sick?

Concerning bathroom facilities I think I'm going to build a composting toilet following the guidelines in the book "Humanure Handbook", it's basically a  bucket....wood/plywood stand & 2x4 legs so  the bucket fits under...... the stand is made for the bucket size you use .......toilet seat with lid....and uses dry sawdust between uses.

Many moons ago I priced commercially built composting toilets and they were expensive some even needed elec. to work and just seemed very complicated.  I googled the "C Head" composting toilet I've seen and heard about here and I literally have had cars that didn't cost that much!            Be Better!   TJB

Here's a link to the one I use at my cabin:

http://www.cloacina.org/index.php?/pcc-toilets/step-up-composting-toilet/

Bob Dickerson said:
So,how is the house coming along?There are always unexpected problems,but they can be overcome.I have some extra land that I may split into 1 acre lots and build small buildings on and sell them as land with a storage building.Maybe put a small solar system on each one.I'm already commited to work in Mt. this summer so it won't be an immediate thing.Anybody think they might be interested in buying one?

WELL JUST FOR CURIOSITIES SAKE WHERE IN THE WORLD IS YOUR LAND LOCATED.........ANY ZONING RESTRICTIONS.............WATER SOURCE...........SEPTIC/SEWER....GREY WATER POND SYSTEMS ALLOWED.......COMPOSTING TOILETS OK.....TREES.......GARDEN SOIL?   DOES SOUND INTERESTING.

SAFE TRAVELS TO YOU                   TEXAS  JBIRD

I'm in the Ozarks,3 miles from Bull Shoals lake.This is rural property with no restrictions.I'm totally solar and use rainwater for my needs.I'll ponder this some more this summer.

Was very busy today, fixed the coil on my new tiny car, put together a basketball goal for my Son and then went over to the cabin and my Dad and Nephew had pretty much finished building a set of stairs for the cabin.

My Dad's entire career was in construction and he is 82 and unable to do the work anymore and that really makes him feel useless, but if you can get through his cantankerous nature, he has a ton of good knowledge on building. My Cabin has really got him energized and he has been piddling around ever since it got there, figuring out what it would need for this, how much of that it would need, etc. Well, today he started on a set of steps for it with my Nephew, who basically took charge and did the work with Dad advising him. My Nephew is a really good kid (well, he is 30...) and he did a great job. So, here are some pictures:

inside1_zpsbu8emao4.jpg

This is from the inside corner, looking towards the front door porch area. Plenty of room :)

inside2_zpsoqxocu7t.jpg

This is from the porch entrance, looking to the back corner, I have four windows, one on the side opposit the door, two on the side with the door and the window in the door.

inside3_zpskkz0e8ju.jpg

The back loft, 9 X 12, hopefully plenty of room for a bedroom for my nine year old.

inside3_zpskkz0e8ju.jpg

dadsteps_zpssfmucfhk.jpg

My Dad and the new steps. He didn't really want to be in the picture, said my Nephew did all the work but I have a feeling I'm going to really enjoy having this picture. :)

Looks good.I have short legs and like the low rise on the steps.Yeah,us old farts don't move as fast as we used to.

I saved this pic off the web years ago. I've always been drawn to it's simplicity.....

Small cabin int..JPG

KinA

Attachments

• Small cabin int..JPG
    Small cabin int..JPG
    77 KB · Views: 70
Rugster, could you repost the pics plz? Showing as broken links and I wanna see... :)

Did any of them post or have you never been able to see them?

Ken, that's pretty simple, but I'm going to insulate and panel the walls and probably put down carpet, so it will seem like a real home, albeit a lot smaller, for the kids :)

Rugster said:
Was very busy today, fixed the coil on my new tiny car, put together a basketball goal for my Son and then went over to the cabin and my Dad and Nephew had pretty much finished building a set of stairs for the cabin.

My Dad's entire career was in construction and he is 82 and unable to do the work anymore and that really makes him feel useless, but if you can get through his cantankerous nature, he has a ton of good knowledge on building. My Cabin has really got him energized and he has been piddling around ever since it got there, figuring out what it would need for this, how much of that it would need, etc. Well, today he started on a set of steps for it with my Nephew, who basically took charge and did the work with Dad advising him. My Nephew is a really good kid (well, he is 30...) and he did a great job. So, here are some pictures:

inside1_zpsbu8emao4.jpg

This is from the inside corner, looking towards the front door porch area. Plenty of room :)

inside2_zpsoqxocu7t.jpg

This is from the porch entrance, looking to the back corner, I have four windows, one on the side opposit the door, two on the side with the door and the window in the door.

inside3_zpskkz0e8ju.jpg

The back loft, 9 X 12, hopefully plenty of room for a bedroom for my nine year old.

inside3_zpskkz0e8ju.jpg

dadsteps_zpssfmucfhk.jpg

My Dad and the new steps. He didn't really want to be in the picture, said my Nephew did all the work but I have a feeling I'm going to really enjoy having this picture. :)

I missed seeing them...unless it looks different for others, all I see above where pics should be is "Oops! Your image was linked incorrectly, please visit photobucket account"

Weird, they work for me on my computer, my phone and another computer. Anyone else can't see them? Previous posters commented on the pictures, this is strange.

I can see your pics fine. :D I think the loft will be a great bedroom. I really like your tiny house so far. Can't wait to see more pics as you start filling it in. :D

weird, I can see them all now...musta been a gremlin!

Nice pics! be sure to give that OSB some breathing and ventilation room when you insulate.

Looks like a great blank slate to draw on :)

ah OSB my least favorite building material. well maybe 2nd least favorite behind particle board. highdesertranger

I see them all. Firefox 46.0
For those that don't ,,, do you have browser add on like "no script" , "no ads" or "pop up blocker" installed? Sometimes that's the problem . Some browsers play games like that also.