Front hitch for turning around?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zork

Reaction score
I went with a 7x16 cargo trailer and realize it's a bit large for off road boondocking.  I plan to use satellite images and unhooking the trailer and exploring ahead with the tow vehicle to scout ahead.  And then mapping out areas that have worked for my rig.  

Would a front hitch be worthwhile to get out of tight spots?  I suspect I will figure this out on my own, but would appreciate any insight from anyone who has been in my position.  Thanks and I'll report back, if able.

Tow vehicle is a 7.3 powerstroke diesel. Mainly concerned about turn around where roads narrow too much, etc. I just purchased the trailer, and almost managed to get stuck at a bank parking lot, lol. I have back-up cams ordered as a crutch. Could mount a front hitch to my truck if it would give me some more options getting into tighter spots.

No, your trailer is not too large for boondocking. That you nearly got stuck in a bank parking lot indicates that you need more time behind the wheel. You don't explore roads while pulling a 16 ft trailer. Take the first campsite you see and explore from there with the tow vehicle. Satellite images are worthless. A front receiver is a waste of money and will most likely never be used once you understand what you are doing.

I would skip the front hitch...it might cause you to become over-confident...and get the entire rig mired in muck or completely stuck. You would be 'blind backing' it to extract it from a bad situation.

Front hitches do serve a purpose in some situations, but this aint one of em.

Just use your brain to keep you out of tight spots that will get you stuck. 

You could add a lift kit or raise the trailer on the existing axle mounts to increase ground clearance. 

Think of your rig as suitable for 'off-pavement', but not 'off-road'.

Agreed with all of the above!

Choose an empty parking lot and learn to back up your trailer both in to parking spots and backwards around corners. A wise suggestion I read for practicing was to back up completely around the parking lot in both a counter and clockwise direction until you are completely comfortable turning corners either way.

And the back up cameras won't do you a bit of good if you've got the trailer on. All you'll see is the front end of the trailer and if ti's changing direction (ie you want straight and it's not) you'll more than likely just confuse yourself with which way to turn the wheel. The camera 'might' only be useful when you're hooking up the trailer but even then you're better off saving the money and learning to do it naturally.

Set up cones in an empty parking lot and practice until you can back through them! I’ve also used large cardboard boxes. Learn to put your trailer within inches of the boxes without hitting them and you should be able to get into and out of all sorts of places!

Oh an skip the front hitch!

SD

Only use I ever had for a front ball was to push boats into a garage bay (not a pull through) for winterizing. I was using a motor home so I had visibility around the boats.

If it has not been mentioned already, always start out slowly with small directional changes, you'll see if the change is the correct way without getting crossed up.

My truck had the front ball hitch. Prior owner was a boat owner . I always wondered about that then poof one day I noticed it was missing. Stupid thieves.

Thank you for all the responses, I had missed them all until just now. Very helpful.

I'll skip the front hitch and get to practicing!