Calypso’s Ogygia .. the Odyssey of the P42

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calypso

Reaction score
It was recommended that I start my own story tread … which feels a bit like doing a biography and I’ve never understood why anyone would read mine. 🤣. But I think i
l do this more for me (as suggested) for my own personal documentation. Which makes sense, I’m more apt to write to “others” than to my own diary.

So, if you’re reading this … welcome but realize this is just ramblings and babblings of my whirlwind mind. I am new to van conversion, and well automobile mechanic, so I may sound like a silly ding-—ling. I’m hard headed but soft skinned, so if you leave any comments I ask that you take that into consideration. If you can give advice or comments without being snarky, I would appreciated it.

Part of this is just me thinking through things, possibilities, learning. I may have over the top ideas and just wondering how to execute them only for the sake of figuring out if it’s possible, but then decide it’s too big or complicated. If someone tells me it can’t be done, or I shouldn’t do it … I tend to dig my heels in and defend my idea. If it’s something I want, I want to explore how it CAN be done not be told it’s a stupid idea. Maybe there’s another at around it and still reaching the same goal. In doing this I gain information, which then educates my decisions better. I may end up going “your way”, but I want to learn why mine may not be best practice, and the advantages of a better choice.

We all have different ideas, judgements, experience, priorities and situations. There are reasons for why I need something other than a composting toilet, or that I need 4‘ of desk space or that the sink needs to be to the left of me, or that I want to avoid having to use propane. Or whatever.

I love reading about others experiences and advice and tams on things… I love other perspectives, I rely on them, they provide insight on things that I would of never thought to of considered.

So .. here it goes. The beginning of the Odyssey of Ogygia, the island of Calypso.

2001 5.7l gas Workhorse Custom Chassis P42, dually 135,000 miles.
Anchorage, Alaska

Attachments

• 14FBC682-1F2D-4755-A2A9-0EFAB830E6EE.jpeg
    14FBC682-1F2D-4755-A2A9-0EFAB830E6EE.jpeg
    340.6 KB · Views: 22
  • EB04A31A-6434-4679-AA77-BAF164D1DCD2.jpeg
    EB04A31A-6434-4679-AA77-BAF164D1DCD2.jpeg
    327.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 5FF3A380-7654-4EBE-9D0F-C61A40B59A43.jpeg
    5FF3A380-7654-4EBE-9D0F-C61A40B59A43.jpeg
    162.5 KB · Views: 22
  • FB2DAB2A-F44E-4E9A-9D6E-044898C23ACD.jpeg
    FB2DAB2A-F44E-4E9A-9D6E-044898C23ACD.jpeg
    223.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 830A5F7C-E796-4FF3-A748-23FA4A45376B.jpeg
    830A5F7C-E796-4FF3-A748-23FA4A45376B.jpeg
    191.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 5F0478D3-F60F-45DB-956F-7442E5CA9A0B.jpeg
    5F0478D3-F60F-45DB-956F-7442E5CA9A0B.jpeg
    342.2 KB · Views: 24
  • D88BAE3A-106E-4D2C-AF11-D14A0C91BED9.jpeg
    D88BAE3A-106E-4D2C-AF11-D14A0C91BED9.jpeg
    163.8 KB · Views: 23
So much work to do! Good thing spring will be here soon. Maybe? Alaska sounds cold...

I don’t know how to edit that, I do t see the button. But I also want to say that I am working on myself to not take things so personally, and to take a second a give thought to where someone is coming at before getting all butthurt.
Work in process as well.🤪

So much work to do! Good thing spring will be here soon. Maybe? Alaska sounds cold...

We’ve had over a foot of heavy snow within the past 3 days, another 8” due tonight and there are ❄️ in the forecast for several days. It’s not the light fluff, it’s the heavy back braking stuff. It’s 32 right now… but it can easily get down to 15 below in a few days. I’m in Anchorage where it’s pretty mild. I could not live up north in Fairbanks where they have tunnels as it’s often 45 below.

But when it’s that cold, it’s clear … and the Aurora borealis are Amazing … and you can hear them.

Today all the schools and university are closed due to road conditions. Every small plane owner is out shoveling their wings. Lol. Not spring for a while.

Last edited:
Sounds an awful lot like here on the northern frontier of NoDak, more like Fairbanks though. My van needs some loving too but will have to wait another month or so as it's too tall to fit in the shop and up to the windows in snow.. Good luck with the build whenever it can start.

So .. here it goes. The beginning of the Odyssey of Ogygia, the island of Calypso.
I'd leave it as it is:) But, I'm pretty broke. Still, with the back doors open there is plenty of light. The shelves could be painted to look newer and brighter. If the top horizontal board could be removed, you would have clearance to a countertop for a Coleman type stop and 5 gallon water jug with spigot. The bed could be where the camping chair is. Maybe you can fit in one of those bunk beds!

I need to read your earlier posts to find out your situation and goals. Maybe you are in no hurry to leave. Maybe you plan on a fancier build.

Nice rig to work with.

I'd leave it as it is:) But, I'm pretty broke. Still, with the back doors open there is plenty of light. The shelves could be painted to look newer and brighter. If the top horizontal board could be removed, you would have clearance to a countertop for a Coleman type stop and 5 gallon water jug with spigot. The bed could be where the camping chair is. Maybe you can fit in one of those bunk beds!

I need to read your earlier posts to find out your situation and goals. Maybe you are in no hurry to leave. Maybe you plan on a fancier build.

Nice rig to work with.
Well, my earlier posts, like my future posts are ramblings… and I’ve probably changed my mind since I wrote it.

I am not in a hurry. I told myself I’d not head south until next summer. This year just would of given me stress, as much as I’d like to, I think if I wait I’ll have a better understanding of the rig and systems and worked out the kinks and saved a bit of money for the actual trip. Mentally it takes a bit to get prepared too.

I started out pretty fancy in my head… and with what I was reading were the best systems. And I needed to get those in first and front load the money. But the more and more I get into this … things are falling off.

Like I was telling myself I had to have a shower stall… I wanted a shower stall using these tiles I’ve saved for 8 years, and I just imagined myself in that. But I don’t like that it takes up so much vertical space in the line of sight. With the ceilings being low already having walls just closes it in more.

Why do I need a walled shower? I’m not going to do the dishpan thing, I do want a designated area, but what would I use the space for when I’m not showering? A closet? Then that means I’ve given myself permission to fill it with clothes I probably don’t need.

Do I really need to have hydronic heated floors? That’s really nice here in AK homes, but is it worth the space? And one reason I’m doing this to get out of cold weather so much .. AK winters are dark and long. I’ll go to snow country sometimes, I love snow, but it is really that often to be needing fancy heated floors?

Part of doing this is to not have bills. Do I want to start going down this path where there’s no return and end up with Credit card debt or unable to take the ferry down. And more complex systems means more complex failures and fixes, and I do not have that knowledge… nor do I care to spend my time learning them.

Do I really need to frame all these things in and have an immovable bed?

Even my plumbing I think I’ve figured out does not need tanks underneath (no holes in the floor) and I can use grey water for my cassette toilet that I decided was the way I wanted to go … as incinerator are too expensive and I can’t do compost separating ones (don’t need to explain that to anyone).

I figured out a transformers shower thing that will give me elbow room and space. Idk why I thought it needed it’s own room .. western mentality and modesty, how I was raised is really showing up in this.

I figured out a Murphy bed/desk for my large research area I need… and I can build it separately, not into the van… which means I can use it later.. or move it to another spot.

I want to get started, but I don’t want to have these “systems” stopping anything from going forward.

She needs insulation and walls floors ceiling. The only thing I really need there is pitting electrical in beforehand. And I could just run conduit with access points/junction boxes and deal with components later. Right?

I do want it “fancier” but I think I’ve gotten seduced by YouTube and people advertising these systems they got for free because they have a bloody hashtag. I don’t have a nice garage with top of the line tools or a crew or any sponsors or subscribers, hell I don’t even have that token “man friend”.

So yes, while I do want a bit nicer than a camp chair and a blue water jug … I don’t need a garbage disposal. I can spend the time and money making a wooden compost bin or something. Idk. I do want more light, but I don’t need a dining table being magically lifted through the roof to dine under starlight. That’s when I use my camp chair and just … go outside.

The best thing has actually been this forum and people here who are so kind and helpful. There is the full range here and I’m learning from all. I like your thinking of how to make it functional. It really can be just that simple. It’s nice having that input as it jerks me out of my modern western mindset, which is not conducive to the life I want to lead.

We have ingrained values and beliefs that came from our upbringing or life thus far, and I think we’re so unhappy because one doesn’t align with each other or who we really want to be. I am programmed to think color coordinated throw pillows and a hand beaten copper sink with instant climate control at my fingertips is “better” and that if I want the best for myself I’ll have the fancy $7k heating hot water system. But honestly, I don’t … because I don’t want to be just “living” in my van, I’m going to be out exploring and when I get back I’ll just be happy if I have smooshy pillow I can cradle under my head, a way to heat up some cocoa and a dry place to write.

From what I can see of this unit, it looks like it has a lot more miles than 135,000.

Just sayin, be prepared for unexpected repairs.

From what I can see of this unit, it looks like it has a lot more miles than 135,000.

Just sayin, be prepared for unexpected repairs.
Could you be more specific please? What do you see that makes you think that? I’m not sure if you’ve seen the photos in other posts, but I’m interested in what’s jumping out at you. I did have a mechanic look it over. There is one tie rod that needs fix.

I’m not sure how to gage these things. I am having the service records sent to me and that should help a lot. We do use a lot of salt and a lot of unpaved roads, which maybe is a factor?

Thank you.

Sounds an awful lot like here on the northern frontier of NoDak, more like Fairbanks though. My van needs some loving too but will have to wait another month or so as it's too tall to fit in the shop and up to the windows in snow.. Good luck with the build whenever it can start.
You guys have far worse winters than we do in Anchorage… and the wind. It’s melting now, but will freeze at night and the roads will have huge snow ice ruts and berms where all the slushy applesauce freezes solid. Then the ice graters come out and that is a loud process.

I wish I had a shop to work in … it’s hard to wait! But wait we must, eh?

While I wait for the weather to improve and tie rod to be fixed, I’m trying to plan some things out.

Tools needed: I have $750 in my budget for tools. I know that sounds like a lot, but I don’t have that many to begin with… this also includes all the replacement drills,bits and blades, levels, squares, Ts and more tape measures, rental of equipment (insulation/paint), building up a mechanics “garage”, replacement battery/chargers. I believe an oscillating tool will work for a lot of things, I’m not sure if I’ll need a grinder of some sort. I’m hoping the OT will work for the things I need with metal with the right attachments.

Sound deadening / Insulation: there’s no one right way to do this, no matter which route I go there will be plenty calling me a dumbarse. It’s all totally overwhelming. Because sound is a factor (yes I know it’s a step van, and I realize noise is part of their charisma), as well as good insulation and structural considerations. The skins just flap around everywhere and dimensions esp height. I’m thinking spray foam. Per my research it provides all three and has the best R factor to space ratio. Yes it’s basically permanent but that takes me into my next sections.

Framing and “furniture”: I see these builds which have built in furniture to the frame work before any of the plywood in on, so the components are immovable, secure yes, but one can’t change the layout without totally tearing it down. I don’t know exactly how I’ll move in the space. I’ve learned with landscaping and home design it takes actually being in the space and trying things out to find the right functioning flow.

I have some furniture that I want to incorporate .. my Japanese step chest (which can be sorted several ways) and my corner cabinet from Malaysia. I can secure those to the studs through the paneling. I have drafted plans for a morphing Murphy bed/desk, but again that is independent, which I will build off site, and can take out and use or give to my children if need be.

I want to be able to adjust my van… maybe in a few years from now I’ll want to take out my big research desk and put in bunk beds or a sound studio or ??? The only things I need to consider prior to cram out is windows/skylights/vents? The rest of it is going to be finishing it just like I would a house, just a big room. It’ll make laying floor/wall/ceiling finishes much easier (no cutting around components. I’ll then attach what I want to the framing through, just like you would in a kitchen or regular house. But it’ll also be finished and I can just throw in an air mattress and a Rubbermaid set it drawers and call it good to go as well. The only item that I really am going to frame in is the plumbing/bathroom.. or do I?

Plumbing Needs (wants): This is one area where I’ve really changed my thinking. I have all my water needs to a 3’x3’ area, bath/kitchen including on demand water heater and decided to put fresh water tanks inside, with grey underneath. The toilet is cassette and will be self contained so not part of the plumbing (it’s also in its own “closet”.. that’s just me. The shower I’ve decided will be a transformer one where I unfold the stall from the kitchen counter (this allows me to use the same area for kitchen so it’s footprint is smaller. The grey water will be underneath for the sake of gravity. When I’m in freezing temps, I will have it empty, the fresh will be inside. I can reuse the grey water for my cassette toilet, thus reducing water usage and weight. This will be the only area that I need to have access to the undercarriage for plumbing to grey tank.

Electrical Needs (wants): I am not someone who is predictable, so I’m not sure where I’ll need to plug in this or that and I figured it’s too much to decide. Before insulation i will layout conduit and junction boxes at set intervals, for outlets and lights. I have a designated area near front door as “command central” for solar charging, battery management ect. I’ll need to make sure that I have the right room for my battery bank and the wiring I need as well as any prep for future access such as with adding more solar or …??

This is one area that I’ll need to get some expert advice on as it will be fixed once insulation goes in. Running conduit will allow me to made adjustments later, I can just run lines through. (I believe that’s right… I may sound really stupid here, but that’s why I’m working it out now and finding out the right way).

So… I think my sequence once she’s been stripped bare (close your eyes don’t peek)… Frame, place shower pan, run electrical, spray insulation. Put down sub flooring and enclose walls and ceiling. Then depending on budget, I can work on inside. I plan to use as much from ReStore as possible (I promised my kids I’d only go when I was in need of something .. but fingers were crossed). So I’m leaving things a bit open to see what comes to me… it might be a whole hodge podge of random things or I might come across a whole kitchen cabinet set, or some crazy bowl I’ll turn into.. something.

So that’s my thought process at the moment. Again, this is more just me documenting all of this for myself… well and for my parents to read, especially my Dad. (Hi Papa) I’m not expecting anyone to read it but, you're welcome to comment.

Cheers ~
Caly

Here’s my little notebook. I have it all tabbed off .. Budget, Systems, Spaces, Dreams/Ideas/Paces. Each of those are broken down into subcategories.

When I have ideas or doing research or see something I want to learn more about or a website … I jot it down… I just flip to the section and scribble it all down.
I note dimensions of all sorts of things. Even the smallest detail I think of or the most outlandish price of items, I don’t try and make it neat or exact, I don’t think about anything really, just write it down as soon as a thought comes in my head or I see a bit of info. I don’t have the best memory and sometimes my head goes really fast, so this way I’ve got it down … there are times I go back and see something I don’t even remember putting down, but it was useful, even if it was to confirm why I rejected it. Sometimes there are really over the top or unrealistic ideas, but it doesn’t matter.

And No, I am not an organized person… in fact I am very very disorganized and am scattered brained. It’s why I took the 30 mins to set this up in a way that would help me keep track. (Can you tell I was a special education teacher?)

Anyway… I also take it with me when going to store, or try to remember. I jot down prices of things so later I can compare which had the better price. I also take pictures of the product specs/price.

Attachments

• A56670CD-4F3B-409C-AAEC-96B6C38B30EB.jpeg
    A56670CD-4F3B-409C-AAEC-96B6C38B30EB.jpeg
    250.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 2D72E9AC-D25A-487A-83DD-DB721B4C045D.jpeg
    2D72E9AC-D25A-487A-83DD-DB721B4C045D.jpeg
    147.4 KB · Views: 8
  • A3BF1F61-ADEE-46F3-9E37-82163DCD49E6.jpeg
    A3BF1F61-ADEE-46F3-9E37-82163DCD49E6.jpeg
    235.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
You are way more organized than I am... I think you're going to be just fine doing this.

this is my plan on how I will build my rig
1. pick out the RV, Box Truck, Van, or Trailer. This should now be in your possession

2. This step will include Doing the Big 4 wiring upgrade for stereo's on vehicles. Then add a NoCo 130 amp 12-48 v dc Battery isolater. or a solenoid, then a battery disconnect switch ($25.00) amazon, A Minn kota Circuit Breaker 12-24-36 v dc 60 amp for the battery going from isolater or solenoid to a house battery. Add a 2nd battery (house battery) that charges from the vehicle. Then add a 12v volt plug in and an a Microwave capeable inverter. The inverter this size will allow you to run what ever you want to run. Note if large current draws are needed also run the vehicle motor during and for at least 10 minutes after the large amp draw has finished. No solar power needed at this time.

3. Solar Power on the roof and Wiring panel- back board inside, for the complete solar install package.

4. Add Ventilation on roof or rear door (window frame)

5. Add Lights and Insulation in roof, then the floor, then finishing the walls last.

6. Add A heat source for cold days/nights. Like a diesel heater and fuel tank

7. Add a Toilet and Shower. Even if it’s outside to start.

8. Add a Bed.

9. Add a Garage area.

10. Add a Kitchen and Fridge.

11. Add a Desk/ Work Space.

Add each piece of this puzzle one job at a time completing each task before moving on to the next.
Build out items that you want or are needed.
A help Sign for breakdowns
2 walki Talkie’s and cb/ham radio for communations to fellow travelers when together and traveling.

To start Use 35in brown builders paper from Home Depot. For the layout
Build templates of where you want your things to layout. And of course some power tools will be needed. Just before fathers day every year home depot puts on sale great deals for the Roybi power tool sets. Also check black Friday sales on-line and in store.
pick up some 2 sided carpet tape, for Roof and Walls for the insulation seems, use the carpet tape on the joints, alum side to metal, for the floor insulation use the tape with alum side up.
use some radiant barrier or sound deadening insulation.
Use remax foam board insulation for walls and roof.
Add the wire run Protective Wire Wrap tubing. To lights, fans, switches, devices and outlets. From Harbor freight tools.

and you may want to look into a hula hoop shower for indoor use.

Looking into skylights and windows.

I’ve looked for used RV ones. Have found a few from backs of pickups or from shells, but not sure how they’d work.. the ones I had of those sorts never seemed to close right, there was always wind coming in and I’m sure if they’re coming off a banged up shell or cab they aren’t in tip,top shape to begin.
Buying new RV ones get pretty spendy, and most I’ve found are that dark grey which I don’t want. There are a ton of residential windows for sale much cheaper, even new ones from ReStore. Some people have put put those in. I’d obviously not put in wooden ones. But is there a big reason why not to use them? Or can I use a house frame and put thick plexiglass? But I guess that wouldn’t work if I wanted a slider, a awning window maybe?

I’ve seen single sheets of skylights, just the bubble, not the whole inside outside contraption… and watched a few videos on putting those in. It seems you just make a frame and stick her on top and seal it in. They sure are a lot cheaper than getting the whole kit. I don’t want the skylight to open, that seems more risk of leaks. I’d like one long skylight 4-6’ down the center. Could someone direct me on how to do this without spending $1000 on 2 windows and a skylight?

Yes I know it’s better not to put a hole in a perfectly good roof. Why do people jump out of perfectly good airplanes for fun? Because it makes life more enjoyable, I’m guessing. I’m not looking to get talked out of it, just some advice as to how to go about it. I contacted EZ Tops to see if they ship to AK.

Thank you

I think you might find that residential windows don't hold up to being in a moving house on rough roads, but I honestly have never tired it.

re -- stand-still house windows 'cannot possibly, will not ever, worst'
2003, we converted a 1996 Ford CF8000 commercial truck to our concept of an ExpeditionVehicle.
For windows, we mounted 3612 -- three feet wide by a foot tall -- dual-pane sliders designed for a stand-still house.
We mounted these at our eye-level standing inside, about eight feet above pavement.
Twenty-four months twenty-four thousand miles around South America.
Alaska, Panama, all over North and Central America.
Summers up rough logger tracks to remote mountain lakes.
Winters on isolated Baja beaches.
We glued our windows into the GRP walls using Vulcum 116 adhesive sealant.
After all this time, the Vulcum 116 remains soft and pliable.
Nearly two decades full-time live-aboard, our windows are going strong.
My new signature tag-line:
* Doing it, no guessing about it.
* Real World, no classroom book-learning theories.
* First-hand experience, no second-hand gossip nor rumor.

That Vulcrum 116 sounds great! I'll have to looking into it. But making holes shouldn't make anyone all that nervous. Done properly, you won't ever have an issue with quality material. Skip a step though, you're asking for trouble. Proper support and clean clean clean your surfaces! If you want skylights that don't open, I would suggest cutting and framing the standard 14" hole and getting skylights to fit that. That way, if one day you want a roof fan, no worries, easy replacement. Don't cut out your roof supports! Position holes between those supports. Fans are great for cooking and climate control.