Calypso’s Ogygia .. the Odyssey of the P42

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a link to the generator and solar panel I got through REI, they are shipping it up, no charge.
It was the only solar I could find here, or could be shipped, without having $350 shipping charge (no joke).
Most generators here are gas or duel fuel, and I’m trying not to have to carry too much.

I hope it will work for using it at the worksite, and hopefully after as well.

https://www.rei.com/product/206377/ecoflow-delta-max-portable-power-station
https://www.rei.com/product/206376/ecoflow-160w-solar-panel
I’m not exactly sure what the panel will give me or what I can run or for how long with these units. The step down did not allow for extra batteries, the other model that did I thought too small. I wanted to have the option to add extra batteries just in case.

I’m only posting this for my own record, and for my friends/folks to follow along.
I’ve decided to just start making my choices, my own decisions and do what’s best for me, as I’m the only one who knows my story… and I need to realize I no longer have to wait for the approval and blessing from some man, nor do I have to justify my whys. I am free to make my own choices and I accept the consequences, as I’m the one who will live with them. I used to be a very adventure person, traveling the globe with only a backpack, moving to a countries without knowing the language, being off the grid, even before there was a grid. It’s just a matter of remembering that girl from decades ago.

I appreciate the information others provide to help me move ahead with decisions I’ve made. I gain much from others.

On the subject of an insulated curtain... I used to drive a 3/4 ton Dodge van to work when I lived in Massachusetts. On a cold morning, I would still be shivering by the time I drove the 24 miles to work, even though the heater had been blasting hot air that entire time. One day, after a particularly chilly ride home I decided to devise a way to hang a blanket behind the front seats. I ended up just stringing a rope between two eyebolts and draping a blanket over that. It wasn't even insulated, didn't go all the way to the ceiling, but it made all the difference in the world! I was comfortable on my commute after that.

What is more readily available to you as an auxiliary fuel, diesel or propane? If having no bulkhead, I would look into insulating the cab as best you can. Insulating will help with all the noise too. Anyone who drives a step van knows about the noise. Will be difficult to seal all the air gaps. But a curtain will help. And definitely insulated window covers. If you can make good use out of a hydronic system, go for it. But if you just need air heat, don't bother with the extra cost and complexity of a hydronic setup. I'd still recommend going light on the floor stuff, and pack more insulation in your ceiling. I like the suggestion of wearing socks, haha.

Oh and on battery powered tools, stick to one battery brand/system, no matter how tempting a deal could be on some other brand that isn't compatible with your current battery system. The bulk of your battery tool system is the batteries! Have two batteries that work with all your tools.
re -- battery-operated tools
[shifts uncomfortably in seat]
We started with Black&Decker 20v tools.
Saws, drills, hammer, jigs, a bunch of handy light-duty gizmos.
We especially like their square 20v flashlights... we probably have twenty of them.
And probably forty batteries...
One day, at our local-owned family-operated home-improvement center, we saw a Craftsman 20v chain-saw [wipes drool from chin].
Natch, it needs a half-dozen batteries... and a 20v impact driver.
No way around it.
Then, one day, on a fine day a lot like today, we acquired a DeWalt router for some 80% lowers... but it was 'tool without battery'...
... requiring the acquisition of a DeWalt drill with two batteries... because the kit was cheaper than the batteries individually.
[drops telephone in crazed dash as nail-biting hyper-obsessive compulsion to verify all batteries are topped kicks-in]

Calypso....I am VERY HAPPY to hear you say this things... many try to live for approval of others but it is impossible to do so!...You go Girl! and do what you want!

Looking into skylights and windows.

I’ve looked for used RV ones. Have found a few from backs of pickups or from shells, but not sure how they’d work.. the ones I had of those sorts never seemed to close right, there was always wind coming in and I’m sure if they’re coming off a banged up shell or cab they aren’t in tip,top shape to begin.
Buying new RV ones get pretty spendy, and most I’ve found are that dark grey which I don’t want. There are a ton of residential windows for sale much cheaper, even new ones from ReStore. Some people have put put those in. I’d obviously not put in wooden ones. But is there a big reason why not to use them? Or can I use a house frame and put thick plexiglass? But I guess that wouldn’t work if I wanted a slider, a awning window maybe?

I’ve seen single sheets of skylights, just the bubble, not the whole inside outside contraption… and watched a few videos on putting those in. It seems you just make a frame and stick her on top and seal it in. They sure are a lot cheaper than getting the whole kit. I don’t want the skylight to open, that seems more risk of leaks. I’d like one long skylight 4-6’ down the center. Could someone direct me on how to do this without spending $1000 on 2 windows and a skylight?

Yes I know it’s better not to put a hole in a perfectly good roof. Why do people jump out of perfectly good airplanes for fun? Because it makes life more enjoyable, I’m guessing. I’m not looking to get talked out of it, just some advice as to how to go about it. I contacted EZ Tops to see if they ship to AK.

Thank you
There's some standards that apply to RVs and Federal motor vehicles standards you need to have safety glass the kind of doesn't make shrapnel when it breaks your house is not going to get into collision at 50 mph. Maybe the kid next door throws a baseball through it ...I'm in the process of converting my van and hopefully getting certified as a motorhome and all glass has to be safety glass . Like tempered glass the kind of breaks in the little diamonds when you shatter it think about it River🏞️

My new power tools, generator and solar panels. (The 10v were my old ones) Sooo excited. My miter saw is a dewalt but not cordless. But now I can use at site. The Delta Max charged super fast and I love all the ports, the different ways to charge and that I can expand with another battery. It’s also much lighter than I thought. But now I’m about at my budget for tools .. generator/solar came out of my electric budget, which I’ve decided to reduce due to recent decisions about systems and redistribute to other areas.

My diesel heater was ordered from Home Depot and should be here soon. Here also I can adjust my budgeted amount for heating as I’m going a different direction than anticipated.

Even thought it’s snowing yet again .. I’ll be able to work on her for a bit longer with batteries that last more than 3 minutes, lights, recharging capability and some warmth… that metal gets cold, baby!

I have decided on an insulation plan, and a building sequence of where to start, and the next 2 steps. Not going beyond that, as it gets based on too many uncertainties and possibilities and it gets me confused.

In the meantime, Ive been Coming up with designs for roof and light issues without having to cut into supports. Even if they are way out there ideas, it’s fun to come up with possibilities and draft them out. So many things I want to try, this could become an addiction. I’ve also adjusted my floor plan to better accommodate the systems components and their required layout, but am still leaving it capable to be rearrangeable with the “furniture” and accommodate future upgrades.

I’m really really glad I’m doing this solo … I couldn’t imagine having to go through this having to consider another person and come to a consensus and compromise and I’m sure I’d drive them nutty with all my ideas. 🤣

Okay, I know this is going slowly. I’m in no rush. And Ive learned the hard way to just let things simmer a bit, instead of charging ahead full of gumption, passion, impatience and impulsiveness.
I go in circles around circles, but I don’t mind being a dizzy Lizzie.

Attachments

• A4C358C6-B53B-47FF-83DC-1F364D8F7D2F.jpeg
    A4C358C6-B53B-47FF-83DC-1F364D8F7D2F.jpeg
    294.2 KB · Views: 5
  • AE4D121B-98B9-4D84-9443-52074A9D7117.jpeg
    AE4D121B-98B9-4D84-9443-52074A9D7117.jpeg
    264.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 8D27D82E-B3FD-4F8A-80F7-A05CE0751528.jpeg
    8D27D82E-B3FD-4F8A-80F7-A05CE0751528.jpeg
    338.6 KB · Views: 5
  • CCDCE5EE-A481-465D-8375-F1A4DE07C488.jpeg
    CCDCE5EE-A481-465D-8375-F1A4DE07C488.jpeg
    154.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 1346B21A-7891-44CF-8C0F-11E98D35FB7F.jpeg
    1346B21A-7891-44CF-8C0F-11E98D35FB7F.jpeg
    353.5 KB · Views: 5
GreetingsI'm a Makita guy too. I purchased extra batteries off Amazon seem to work out pretty well. The diesel heater is going to be a game changer for you. I have two of them just because one is none and two is one and they were I got a good deal on them off of eBay. Still running through my mind where to put the one I want to use do I want him to suck outside air ambient air I'm still a little concerned about having that combustion process going on in my living space.there's so much information out there about the heaters about the air intakes about the exhaust blah blah blah blah blah the motherboards on the glow plugs and the rebuild kits I think the most important thing is is orientating the fuel pump and getting a filter in there. Also hear that if you're running on low they'll carbon up so you need to get them hot once in awhile.. One thing I learned is it with a metal wall on the outside it's kind of backwards thinking about how condensation and insulation and all that stuff works versus a standard house. Sorry to run on but with the way the economy is going my old grumman box is looking pretty good. I truly feel it's the ultimate freedom I wood hate to be stuck in the City if the peanut butter hits the fan.

Attachments

• 00K0K_evbeKbodfKdz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg
    00K0K_evbeKbodfKdz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 1
Well, finally got a day in, for a bit. Didn’t go as planned.

Have about 29 of these stuck bolts, that are holding the crossbars for the racks. Nothing will catch a grip or they just spin. These are strange nuts. Soooo…. I guess I’m going to have to get a grinder and learn how to use it to grind these off. Same with some of the bulkhead bolts.
D42DCCB4-C296-4F7D-AF2D-9A8428427D62.jpeg238C0E89-F30F-49A4-B3EB-C4DFE3BEB8D7.jpeg

Was able to get door and guide rail off, but these bolts.. If get the nuts off the screw bolts just spin, or the socket won’t grab the nut.. if I try to unscrew The whole thing just spins. It seems like I’m being really dumb about this, like I can’t get some bolts off?!? How the F do I think I’m going to be able to do this if I can’t even dismantle and get some bolts out.

Since I was dead in water with the crossbars, I thought I’d try the ceiling panels and insulation. Figured I could slide out the panels from between … that didn’t happen, so I Irish raged and ended up ripping down one panel… but not sure it was the ideal method. But I was able to actually see the roof supports and they aren’t as beefy as I expected, nor attached as I’d expected. So now I’m even more curious about my roof ideas.

BACF8336-7168-4670-9838-2C04864689CE.jpeg8A574EC4-E8DE-417B-BCB3-59A9BEC2F1F3.jpeg
The ceiling was cold, even though it was sunny and 38 out with no snow on top. Makes me realize how important the insulation will be there. The main reason for insulating the floor would be sound, which I can use other products that aren’t as thick. That way it gives me more room on ceiling for insulating leaving the roof as is, where it’s more needed.

In the cab, there’s this massive fan, which I’m not really sure what it’s for, again showing my ignorance of mechanical workings. I haven’t noticed it in pictures of other step vans, and it seems pretty Micky mouse and held together with tape. The hose goes over to pedal area, so guess it’s just a heater fan? But is it needed for something else? Not sure what the red hoses are on the bottom, if it’s a required part or if it can be replaced with another part.
10E7D785-397A-4DFD-9B56-B1B5C13652EA.jpegF7E5E103-B28D-42D4-AC7A-90F9824FED82.jpegFAB57599-CD25-41D1-9710-17ECD2DF81A0.jpeg

So …. That’s as far as I got during my day. I have a paper to write, so wasnt able to return to do anything more, yet. Picking up a grinder to get bolts…the multi tool oscillating tool didn’t do anything or I didn’t have the right blade (it said metal) or I wasn’t doing it in the right place, or I was just scared of the horrible noise it was making and I was going to break the tool and the blade spin out and go flying across the van, or go through the skin.

Don’t even get me started on the rivets that I’m somehow need to deal with… I swear to St. Patrick if I have to get another tool for that I’m going to throw a mini fit. Just feels like it never ends.

I’m more comfortable with wood, nails and screws. I’m more comfortable deconstructing wood structures, but this metal stuff just makes me nervous. I know people say aluminum is easy, but then you’ve got the fasteners and the steel and idk how to right… I’m really hard on myself that I should be an expert. I had a friend who was willing to come help, but I’m very stubborn and feel stupid, and don’t want to admit that I don’t know what I’m doing. Guess I’m trying to prove something. And I hate looking like a dumb girl. I also don’t want to feel obligated to someone offering help, like I then owe them something… it’s akin to accepting a drink at a bar, in some ways.

I’m saying all this knowing that I’m opening myself up to criticism and possible negative talk, or someone who wants to speak down to me, there seems to be many know it all experts, but who cares. This is real experience, and I’m sure others have felt like this.. even men. I have realized that there are some very kind people who offer advice very respectfully and aren’t rolling their eyes. I need to get better at allowing others to help… even men. I didn’t think I was so overly sensitive about the male/female role thing, guess I e always just ignored it, or felt like a crybaby if I called it out. And I’ll admit, I’ve not had many experiences with men who view females as an equal.

No, none of that had to do with a van build. But it has to do with my process. I know I can do this, just wish I felt a bit more comfortable able it, that I felt more competent about my “skills” and how to solve problems like the stupid bolts. You know, people post these videos, and messages and pictures and success stories like it was all so easy, and that they didn’t struggle or feel incapable or admit that they just didn’t know what they were doing, but that they knew it wasn’t the right way. People like to look like they got their poop in a group, I’d like to … but that’s not reality. So here’s me being vulnerable and honest. I’m sure I’m making tons of mistakes, and will continue to do so, but that’s not going to stop me. This is the process of learning and breaking mental limitations, pushing beyond the safety of the known, being unstable.
As a special education teacher, I know that process is not easy, and it’s messy .. but it’s worth it, you just don’t stop.

When you remove the bolts, are you holding the bolt head with one wrench, and unscrewing the nut with another wrench? Yes, an angle grinder with cutoff discs will do wonders for you. Your oscillating tool will not be able to cut through bolts like that. Use that tool for wood and small nails.

The ceiling is very well designed. It doesn't look like much, but its plenty strong to walk up there. The roof panel is attached to those cross supports with adhesive. The rivets are strong, the adhesives and sealants they used at the factory will last 100 years if you don't touch them, hard to get leaks.

That box under the dash is your heater core and heater fan. The hoses underneath are your coolant hoses that run to and from your engine. That equipment is in the same spot in my step van, but the physical heater core and hoses are on the other side of the firewall, in the engine compartment.

Rivets are best removed by either drilling them out or carefully cutting them with angle grinder.

Haha, you're doing great. Learning stuff along the way is the best. Most men actually don't know what they're doing, they just fake it until they make it. You'd be amazed how many of my male peers can't change a tire or drive a manual transmission.

When you remove the bolts, are you holding the bolt head with one wrench, and unscrewing the nut with another wrench? Yes, an angle grinder with cutoff discs will do wonders for you. Your oscillating tool will not be able to cut through bolts like that. Use that tool for wood and small nails.

The ceiling is very well designed. It doesn't look like much, but its plenty strong to walk up there. The roof panel is attached to those cross supports with adhesive. The rivets are strong, the adhesives and sealants they used at the factory will last 100 years if you don't touch them, hard to get leaks.

That box under the dash is your heater core and heater fan. The hoses underneath are your coolant hoses that run to and from your engine. That equipment is in the same spot in my step van, but the physical heater core and hoses are on the other side of the firewall, in the engine compartment.

Rivets are best removed by either drilling them out or carefully cutting them with angle grinder.

Haha, you're doing great. Learning stuff along the way is the best. Most men actually don't know what they're doing, they just fake it until they make it. You'd be amazed how many of my male peers can't change a tire or drive a manual transmission.
When you remove the bolts, are you holding the bolt head with one wrench, and unscrewing the nut with another wrench?
Well.. I would if I have 20 foot arms, seeing as they are on the inside/outside. the others on the bulkhead I was able to reach I could but, I’d need an assistance to do any of the others, or the outside ones. And Cody dog tried his darn best, but kept slipping off the ladder anytime a bird tweeted.

You need child slave labor. Or vice grips on one side with something suction cup like to stop it from spinning. Haha, dags make terrible work partners, possums would fair better with their thumbs. But dags sure are great emotional boosters!

My kids are “adults”.. in theory. But I still have my ways, cookies do still work at times, as do frosties at Wendy’s on the way home. But alas, they seem to have games on the days I go to the worksite. So I think I need to coordinate with them better, or rather my daughter. My son has yet to see it. Girl child is a tough trooper, so smart, and doesn’t complain. She takes after her great G’ma.

I think the grinder will be the best way. I could use that massive magnet that’s suck on the side if I could only manage to pry it off, nothing would move with that thing on it. I think it’s just going to have to stay and be built into the walls. Haha. No idea what it was used for, or could be used for.

Attachments

• D01D2026-D686-4AA1-888B-F293E832A5CB.jpeg
    D01D2026-D686-4AA1-888B-F293E832A5CB.jpeg
    212.5 KB · Views: 5
I guess I’ll have to leave the heater where it is? It’s so freaking huge. But I could build around it… once I fix it up. It’s a mess, as is the whole dash and cowling or dog hut or whatever it’s called. The wiring is a rats nest mess too. I would like to get those all sorted out into a fuse box that’s cleanly labeled and not all these dangling things. There should be a schematic graph that would help me trace them to what they control. This is a other thing I’m unfamiliar with, but I’m going to guess much more straight forward than more modern cars.

I did finally get the maintenance records from the seller, as well as what the owner prior to them did. They go back to 2004, which may not be everything but does document some major work that was done. One good thing about buying a company rig. Although the FedEx one I had looked at before didn’t have any records, which I thought strange.

The diesel heater is ready for pickup at Home Depot.. $180. Which is good as the temp has dropped down to the low teens again… Mother Nature fooled us again having us think spring had sprung.

I’m continuing research on the roof. It probably won’t happen, but it’s a good distraction from my schoolwork, and drawing up yet another floor plan. It could be something that I do down the line if I feel like a new challenge. For now I’ll focus on sound dampening and getting floor in, deciding on windows and planning out electrical work. The ceiling/roof will be last. I have come up with a way to build my own double walled domed skylights, which would help with retaining heat. But I do still need to keep budget in mind. Increasing costs will be more of a factor now.

I had figured for truck repairs, so the tie rods and steering fix wasn’t a total blow, but it was more than what I had planned for at this stage. Haven’t even gotten into any of the systems or engine. I imagine I can sell the 6 studded tires for something in the fall, they’re in good shape. Won’t the price of tires go up as well with all of this craziness? I also need to start selling off things from my household. I have a lot from my “married life” that I’ve lugged around long enough. Like how many longerberger baskets and pottery does one need? Ummmm none. (They sell for about $100 each, and I have a lot) I have furniture and fancy dinnerware and such that will have no place in a 112 sq foot van. I also have a buttloads of Japanese glass floats of all sizes, like over 100. The big ones can go for $200 each and I have some rare colors and stamps. Once you start seeing items as “things” and not memory capsules it becomes easier.

I have totes and totes of my children’s artwork, going back nearly 20 years. I have boxes upon boxes of their schoolwork, which makes little sense as it was mostly online, so it must be just worksheets or something. My Mom gave me boxes of my artwork and papers and ribbons and whatever starting from when I was in preschool. Birthday cards and letters and postcards from the grandparents and such. All of it has been in boxes for more than 35 years. I have moved these items well over a dozen times. It’s time to unload. I can take pictures of the artwork and create a digital file.

But … if my grandmother had done all of that, I would never have her journal and pictures of her adventure and I would of never known. I don’t think my life has been very unusual but I have had lots of adventures around the world, which has changed, and maybe my grandchildren would find them interesting as I do my G’ma’s. We are making the history of our decedents. I traveled Europe prior to EU, I have coins that will never be a currency ever again. I have books that were published in 1886, these things should be kept. How do I do that and live in 112sq feet van?

This isn’t just about fixing things, and building things, and systems, and insulation. It’s a total mental shift. I’m going from a mindset of establishing a 3500 sq foot family homestead on acres of land to a van with no address at all. It’s been a ten year adjustment process, but now we’re at the actual application. This is the part where I unload the “stuff” that’s held me back.

I do hate garage sales… I normally just donate things. But now we’re getting into things that could fund the build. The whole process of purging takes an emotional toll. It’s hard, esp when it’s my childrens items, or of a lost dream.. and I wonder if this new step will be just another lost unrealized dream that will be left in dead on the roadside, and then I’ll have nothing. Oh well … I’ve never lived a safe life, why start now.

Last edited:
You could clamp the vice grip down on the inside nut then use a clamp to attach the vice grip to a board that is long enough for the other end to hit the floor at about the 5'oclock position. Then go outside with a wrench or socket and loosen the bolt. Grinders work, but they are noisy, cumbersome and can be dangerous. Plus, sparks, lots and lots of sparks.

I just want to take a second to say that I like reading what you write. It's quite well written.
And, that a big magnet!

Darn, should have done this project when your kids were younger and still your legal property!

51216261367_0eabe2d762_c.jpg

Yes I think you have to leave your heater box where it is. Depends on how it's setup on the firewall. Mine has the heater core and coolant hoses here in that black box, under the hood.

50568884483_967cf1a43b_c.jpg

My heater blower unbolts and there is a giant hole in the firewall for air to blow through the heater core and into all the duct work in the dash. Be glad your heater core and fan is easily accessible! On more modern cars it could take a mechanic two whole days to change out the heater core. You van you can change it in about 30 minutes. How well does your heat work? Any issues? I had to take my whole system out and clean out several mouse nests!

50668089101_f96473bcb1_c.jpg

Grind away, make lots of sparks! Be mindful that aluminum is soft and has a low melting point. Regular cutting and grinding disks tend to glaze and get clogged when used with aluminum and become useless. The sandpaper flapper discs work very well on aluminum. Wear glasses and gloves! Sometimes gloves don't help all the way, especially when you remove the safety guard...

I also enjoy reading your entries. Very entertaining, keep up the good work!

For the sentimental things, maybe go thro them and put them in totes, keeping the most precious things. and asking the kids what they might want from the rest. Can you rent a very small weatherproof storage unit? Keep that stuff there and reevaluate in a year or two.

Scan some pics/artwork for the road too.

For the sentimental things, maybe go thro them and put them in totes, keeping the most precious things. and asking the kids what they might want from the rest. Can you rent a very small weatherproof storage unit? Keep that stuff there and reevaluate in a year or two.

Scan some pics/artwork for the road too.
Yes, I’m planning to rent storage for my family antiques and heirlooms (at the time of my divorce my ex new woman threw away everything that she could get her hands on that had been in the kids room (including all their baby things) I had put most of the family heirlooms in their rooms - still gut wrenching 10 years later, so I’m very protective of what I have left and had gotten out of there prior… TMI probably).

I have items going back generations, dolls, furniture, books, photos, journals such as my Gpa traveling to Alaska on a steamship in 1910-teens… he even has the menus. It’s my duty to protect them, as I am merely the custodian of them during this time. They not only share my families history, but give insight to life in those times. That being said, I want to keep things of my children's generation to be past down to my great grandchildren. So little is actually tangible these days, so easily altered, and too much in excess. Imagine what our ancestors are going to have to deal with everyone’s, FB or insta or TT or whatever. Or will it all just get lost (albeit, much really needs to get wiped).

I’ve just keep adding totes upon totes, there are some from my years in Japan that have never been open since shipped back. Full of stuff like receipts and my kids school newsletters (they went to the Japanese National schools). Same with their time when we lived in Thailand and they went to the states school there. I need to go through them, and like you said find the items that hold meaning. I also don’t want to do to my children what my mother has done to me.. passing down just stuff that they then feel guilty to purge. Like all the postcards my grandma sent to me that are just “how are you? It rained today” … the guilt, I’ve dug them out of the bin more than once.

I’m not a scrapbooker, never got into that money hole trend. But in typing this I’ve thought of something. I could sort through and box up certain timeframes or events, label them and put them in storage. Then while I’m driving around over the next few years, have my kids send me a box at a time and I can compile “books” or volumes. Something to do on rainy days in the van. Then the pressure of having to do something right now with it all is lightened a little.

I’m curious how others address these issues, living in a small mobile home, keeping of family history.

I can tell you how my wife deals with it.... she threw a lot of my stuff away when we first were married (37 years today) and when she helped my father and stepmother move she tossed just about everything. I don't recommend that approach.

Darn, should have done this project when your kids were younger and still your legal property!

51216261367_0eabe2d762_c.jpg

Yes I think you have to leave your heater box where it is. Depends on how it's setup on the firewall. Mine has the heater core and coolant hoses here in that black box, under the hood.

50568884483_967cf1a43b_c.jpg

My heater blower unbolts and there is a giant hole in the firewall for air to blow through the heater core and into all the duct work in the dash. Be glad your heater core and fan is easily accessible! On more modern cars it could take a mechanic two whole days to change out the heater core. You van you can change it in about 30 minutes. How well does your heat work? Any issues? I had to take my whole system out and clean out several mouse nests!

50668089101_f96473bcb1_c.jpg

Grind away, make lots of sparks! Be mindful that aluminum is soft and has a low melting point. Regular cutting and grinding disks tend to glaze and get clogged when used with aluminum and become useless. The sandpaper flapper discs work very well on aluminum. Wear glasses and gloves! Sometimes gloves don't help all the way, especially when you remove the safety guard...

I also enjoy reading your entries. Very entertaining, keep up the good work!
Ahhhh … I see now the fan and housing. Thanks for the pictures! You make a good point about access. idk about heat much, seems good. There’s also another box heater under the drivers seat. In all honesty I haven’t spent much time in her, and still need to learn how to drive her better. Once the front end is fixed I’ll do more now that the ice esp the black ice is clearing from the streets. I’ll be going on trips this summer… will be much easier and nicer going to music festivals in her, no wet tent camping in the woods with wackos.

Added to my list are thicker gloves and safety glasses … maybe I’ll have to wear a snowmachine helmet and hockey keeper gloves. 🤣. If I do, I’ll defiantly take a picture for you. Good to note about the softness of aluminum. I am worried about it hopping off the bolts and I end up slicing through the skin. But I guess it’s better to be too cautious than go in with inflated aires and blazzae approach. Maybe I’ll sink some of the old bolts in wood and practice a bit first.

Thank you.