Ford Ranger

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wagoneer

Reaction score
Any thoughts? 80's 90's 4 banger /6 banger 2Wd 4Wd please be somewhat familiar. Extended cab? Manual/automatic? What does your favorite look like.

Ford Ranger with the 4.0 V6 is what you want, the 2.3 4 bangers can't get themselves out their own way and drink oil it's mystery where it goes and the 3.0 is problematic. Anything 95 and newer is best bet due to OBD II port of being able to read them easier and diagnose any problems. Manual is what you want extended cab yes cause it sucks driving and not being able to lean seat back or stopping to take cat nap with seat upright. As for looks I don't care but a 4x4 is nice too.

Attachments

• 0406171557.jpg
    0406171557.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
wagoneer said:
Any thoughts? 80's 90's 4 banger /6 banger 2Wd 4Wd please be somewhat familiar. Extended cab? Manual/automatic? What does your favorite look like.

I've had an '89 and a '91 in the past 15 years and loved 'em both. Both were 2WD 4 cylinder manual. No extended cab, no extra long bed, just straight up trucks. Both under $1000 on Craigslist, and with the CA "gross polluters" buyback of older vehicles, I turned the first one in to buy the second one, drove it for 3 years then made a $500 profit selling it to the state. The second one was unfortunately wrecked or I'm sure it would still be going.  I never lived out of either one, though, so I'm not sure how they are from that standpoint.

Thank you , not a huge fan of sensors or those plug in code readers or aluminum heads, extended cab is on the list,manual is on the list,i will look at the 4.0, older 4 banger still in my thoughts as I will primarily be using it to offload my clutter. I like simple and have been a motor wrench-er a long long time. I had a Toyota cast iron R18 with a Chinook camper 1977 a real dog but very very reliable getting up to 5 MPH on the east side of 120. wow. keep them coming. The last Ranger I had was a 1997 4 cyl 10 years ago.

I have a 2000 3.0 Six that I've had since new, now about 500 miles short of 300k. 2wd. It could use a lower first gear, but other than that the most reliable thing in my life.

IMG_20170422_105051.jpgIMG_20170422_105051.jpgI have a Ford Ranger- back in the 70s they were full size trucks,  Mine is a 1970 3/4 ton Camper Special with a huge V8 engine manual transmission and an oil bath air cleaner. I just wished it got more than 12 MPG. I once had a Isuzu pick up I loved. It was a 91, regular cab 5 speed. Super gas mileage, simple no computer engine.  The seat was uncomfortable for long drives.  I hit a giant mule deer in OR and thought it was totaled.  The boys in auto shop at the high school I worked at got it running again with just 140.00 in parts but the hood wouldn't close so I had to chain it to the new front bumper they welded for me.

Attachments

• IMG_20170422_105051.jpg
    IMG_20170422_105051.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
My only experience with that body style was an 88 Bronco II with the 4.0L V6 I had a long time ago. It had plenty of power, and easily towed a large popup camper to Florida through the mountains from Ohio.

I don't think any of the versions had a bed longer than 6.5' so if you were thinking of a camper style conversion, they are short on room.

I have an '04 4L automatic, extended cab, 4X4 Offroad. The offroad package included 4X4, 4.10 rearend, and transmission cooler.
I pulled my 18' 3500# Jayco TT from central Pa as far as Joshua Tree NP.
My dog and I boondocked for 110 days and logged 7,900 miles.
My best milage not towing and strictly highway has been 17-18. Around town, 14+, towing 12.5 consistently.
On windy days driving I-10 across TX, I did wish it were heavier. I towed with OD off and maintained 60mph at about 2700 rpm.
It runs steady and smooth, didn't use a drop of oil since I've owned it. I bought it with 130K, and it currently has151K.
I love this truck and won't replace it until it needs major repairs... or I win the lottery. It's payed for and does what I need.
I've never named a vehicle, but this one is named Little Big Red, (and I love talking about him, ?).

Late 90's Ford 4.0l is not a fuel efficient motor... son's Explorer might get at best 14mpg, downhill, with a tailwind, if you coast half-way, on a good day, only if the tide is going out, and the tires are aired to the max.  The 2.3l Fords are good but under-powered.  Later 2.3l dual-plug high-swirl heads are more efficient and better torque.  Unfortunately, the T5 manual trans they paired it with is a super whimpy version of the world-class T5, and prone to bearing problems.  If looking for a small-ish truck, I'd do a Toyota 22r or 21re.  Both dead reliable as long as coolant and oil are regularly changed.  Toyota late '80s onward 4X4's are very impressive machines if you need off-road capability.  Stepping up to to a 6 cylinder...wife's '08 4-Runner with a 3.0l pulls like a small V8, and still knocks down 20-24mpg, even with her lead foot.  Also had some good experiences with a 90' Nissan Pathfinder, but super weak CV-joints in front on the 4X4, and the fit and finish wasn't real good inside.

The 3.0 V6 is a good engine. Not as powerful as the 4.0 but a very reliable engine.  A friend of mine has a ranger with the 3.0 that has over 350,000 miles that still runs good.