for all you introverts - party in OR

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QinReno

Reaction score
jamie posted a video showing what Descend on Bend looks like. FYI.
-

Well that looks like....a lot of swirling humanity. Nice for those who enjoy that sort of thing.

The Dire Wolfess

Nice thing about such events is you can stay until you don't want to anymore. :)

RIght now I'm in the Organ Mountains national monument (NM). I thought there were no other people around me but with binos I found an SUV camper about a mile away. Feeds my spirit right now.

Moxadox said:
Well that looks like....a lot of swirling humanity.  Nice for those who enjoy that sort of thing.
My stomach was getting slightly acidic, looking at all the people. I am beginning to wonder how many people will show up for the caravans. Bob posted the video today.

I'm seriously wondering how much I'll like being at the RTR for the same reason. I'm definitely a loner/introvert type of person. But I'll go give it a try.

I'm an extroverted introvert which is confusing enough, but I find these events conflicting for me.  

I can appreciate most folks for a limited time.  (1-3 hours.)  I'd go to see if there are any like-minded folks to connect with and to satisfy the social part of me that enjoys people.  But, just like my tastes, beliefs and interests aren't in line with many other people's (I'll even say most), there are certain aspects about other people that I just have absolutely no interest in and/or can't relate to, especially in a large group setting.  Combine that with being where people are on top of each other like this... I'd likely be gone in two or three hours.  As for sitting there watching people sing on a stage?  That's torture for me.  I wouldn't even go to my favorite singer's concert if I was given a free VIP ticket.  

I can understand an initial welcome speech with announcements and a schedule for people to refer to throughout their time there, but to sit and listen to singers and lecturers, etc., that's not for me.  I'd have fun roaming around meeting random people and seeing their vehicles though.  If I didn't feel like it was the place for me, I'd just quietly slip out and drive off.

One good thing for an extrovert-introvert, Jack, is that people may be able to hook up with like-minded people to serve as traveling companions. From what I've seen, this usually means 2 or 3 other vehicles, rather than a large group. In your case, you would probably like to find companions with similar beliefs. Ya never know.

travelaround said:
I'm seriously wondering how much I'll like being at the RTR for the same reason.

The RTR is geographically huge and one can camp at or beyond the outskirts where other people are so far away they look like ants.  The only downside would be a longer walk to see other folks, rigs, and the stuff at main camp.

One can also move day to day to adjust to growing/changing crowds.  No rules about staying put or staying the whole time!  Seeing so many rigs and likeminded folks is really valuable.

Jamie's gatherings tend to have more of a party atmosphere, so I wouldn't draw any hard conclusions from the video.

frater secessus said:
Jamie's gatherings tend to have more of a party atmosphere, so I wouldn't draw any hard conclusions from the video.
Descend on Bend has been an ongoing event for several years. Jamie just happened to be there and filmed part of it. Of course, life does seem to be a party to him too, LOL. I'm sure his van build will be a big party. People need to be prepared for everything they may encounter!

I remember last years Build Party had a few "Incidents" not taking any sides but when you mix Guys & Gals Booz and? Something Bad usually happens.

MikesGonenoMAD said:
I remember last years Build Party had a few "Incidents" not taking any sides but when you mix Guys & Gals Booz and? Something Bad usually happens.
I know they had some problems with where they were located and had to move a couple of times, ie on State Trust Land rather than BLM land, but I imagine you can't ever get away from booz and whatnot. C'est la vie. People are people. Human nature hasn't changed in 50,000 years.

Like mentioned above , you can camp as close to someone or as far away as you want . It just depends on how close you want to be to the big tent and other activities. If you park out somewhere by yourself be ready to drive back in for RTR or be in biking distance. Hope to cya there

Very cool to see that video, a place we would never go :) that is not us one bit but I love seeing other's who love those events.

RoamerRV428 said:
Very cool to see that video, a place we would never go :)  that is not us one bit but I love seeing other's who love those events.
If you look at the first minute or so of this video, you can see the RTR sprawl via drone view. So many attendees have real RVs. I'm estimating $100,000,000 worth of RVs there, :). Likewise, I estimate $5-billion worth of RVs around Quartzsite in the winter. Big party.

hahaha, that drone footage shows the big class A stuck in a wash before we got it out. at 49 seconds the class A in the middle of the screen with all the people walking around it. highdesertranger

yeah, that was a mess. It inspired me to store a full size shovel in the van for such emergencies.

On the upside, that was where I met Jim. :)

highdesertranger said:
hahaha,  that drone footage shows the big class A stuck in a wash before we got it out.  at 49 seconds the class A in the middle of the screen with all the people walking around it. highdesertranger
Looks like he was trying to turn around the way he is wedged in there. Oh well, better to drive your 40' rig into the cul de sac rather than walk in and check things out first. Discretion and common sense. Heck, he could have been pulling a 40' trailer.