TX Gulf beach camping during summer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand that deflating tires somewhat will help to drive on sand without getting stuck, but I have not tried it.

Wandering Rose, I believe you're right about Bolivar. It's a little hard to get to -- easiest way is to take the ferry over from Galveston -- but it's definitely party central and run-what-you-brung several times a year, like during Jeep Week and a couple of other hard-core party events. The Galveston County Sheriff's Department is way too busy during those things to bother folks quietly camping on the beach.

I haven't been to Padre for a few years, so they may still allow camping out there on the seashore. Sorry for including them in what I said.

I love beach camping. Just gotta pay attention to the soft stuff and the high tide line .

Johnny

If you get down to those Texas beaches, you will see a large expanse of packed sand on which vans, cars, RV’s can and do park safely.

The areas closer to the dunes, not so much, and someone told us our very first trip down there in 2008 or so that pulling one off the sand is considered “recovery”, not “towing”.

As I recall, south Padre Island was an area we did not and would not drive onto, because the sand was not packed.

PINS and the area on the Bolivar Peninsula are a completely different environment, and the times I was down there there were vehicles of all sizes parked safely on the sand (and well in from high tide) as far as the eye could see.

One other caution about the remote areas down there is the possibility that bad actors can access you/your rig and you are too far from anyone else to receive help.

It happens. Safety in numbers, being where you can see others and they can see you.

Last edited:
I believe you're right about Bolivar. It's a little hard to get to -- easiest way is to take the ferry over from Galveston
I drove down there from Winnie, much easier than going thru Galveston, and have usually been there on weekdays.

The last time was a Friday and Saturday, two years ago, and while it was busier and more families with kids, there was no trouble I was aware of and the beach was shared very cordially.

I distinctly remember families staggering setting up camp so that they were not blocking views of the ocean for others.

South of Corpus Christy Tx is PINS, (Padre Island National Seashore) There is Malaquite Park you can stay at for a reduced fee with National Parks Pass (I have the Lifetime, it has paid for itself) Showers, restroom. (water, dump, garbage no power ). There is also Bird Island Park you can camp at across the road but on the bay side. (vault toilets) have to drive over to Malaquite for the rest of amenities, a mile away. Little cheaper also. You can also camp on the beach, 65 miles of stretch to camp on, all the way to the land cut. That is what I do, have to be totally self-sufficient as the bathroom is at the entrance to the beach. Totally free with a National Pass.
After researching some more, I'm leaning towards this for a summer (rotating Malaquite, Bird, beach), if I don't workamp. Affordable with my Senior Pass. I was there last March and enjoyed it but the beach had a warning re: storm surge so didn't do the beach camping (no 4WD).