Minivan, Hanging Curtains behind Driver Seat?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boy, you've never lived until you've tried to control a metal needle next to a magnet!
You are so right!! I worked four seasons on high-end ($20K+) costumes for an annual series of debutante events. On one, it was necessary to attach an extremely heavy skirt to a bodice with super strong magnets to facilitate dressing. It was my job to ensure perfect alignment and sew them into casings. Oh... my... gosh...!!

Do you have curtains covering all/most of your walls? How does that work for you?

If you go to the RTR there is likely to once again be a cadre of people with sewing machines there who can help make or modify window coverings. Donations accepted to help HOWA.

The various camp together Van Builds usually have a group of people who do sewing.

You are so right!! I worked four seasons on high-end ($20K+) costumes for an annual series of debutante events. On one, it was necessary to attach an extremely heavy skirt to a bodice with super strong magnets to facilitate dressing. It was my job to ensure perfect alignment and sew them into casings. Oh... my... gosh...!!

Do you have curtains covering all/most of your walls? How does that work for you?
No, the curtains are only for the times when I need to be in the dark or to be not visible, such as at night.

Works just fine for me to not have insulation. While I am sure insulation could improve my heat/cold retention a bit, it has just never seemed worth the hassle. But I don't go/stay where temps get extreme in either direction. Right now, for instance, when the weather in California's Central Valley, where I intended to be traveling, is extremely hot, I am holed up at a friend's place near the coast, and won't leave until the heat wave breaks a bit.

No, the curtains are only for the times when I need to be in the dark or to be not visible, such as at night.

Works just fine for me to not have insulation.
Ah... I have toyed with the idea of hanging curtains instead of insulating on the next van, and was kind of hoping you were doing that.

We missed our moment to head toward cooler weather without too much risk given the heat and storms between us and higher elevations. I'm taking the opportunity to have a few things checked/replaced on the van.

I use an expandable curtain road....you twist it and it expands to hold snugly. Unfortunately, with the vehicle vibration it does fall down from time to time. I too am looking for a way to keep them in place. My curtain slides to one side for storage and allows for me to use my rearview mirror.

I have the same issue with a 2006 Honda Odyssey. I only stealth camped in it one night. I used a pre-made front window cover from Amazon and hand made cut outs for the sides. It took a lot of figitting to get the front completely blacked out but it worked. I wonder why people a curtain cross the backseat instead of doing it this way?
I do both.The curtain behind the seats (driver and passenger) on plasic lightweight tension rod, I keep closed so I can go into stores etc and don"t need to be concerned that people could see into the cargo area. The 2 window covers and windshield cover I put up at night, no one's business what's in my van. Also if I have anything l want to keep in PS I throw a piece of black flannel fabric over it to cover completely. I figure if someone goes to the trouble of making themselves tall enough to look into my Promasterr cargo van, odds are they are probably looking for a crime of opportunity.

Closed circuit for Ccfree (and everyone else!)

Please, when posting links to products, include some type of description or reason for posting the link. We love to see links to products on other websites, which helps our members, but the forum software sees a link without a description, especially from a fairly new member or one who has not posted very often, and flags that as possible spam, and it will be hidden until one of us can manually approve it.

So it helps you and the mods, and everyone else, to include some of your own text in any post that includes a link to third-party websites.

Thanks!

Ah... I have toyed with the idea of hanging curtains instead of insulating on the next van, and was kind of hoping you were doing that.
I've briefly considered it, but like real insulation, it just doesn't seem to me to be worth the work.

I have considered it for looks, however. Kinda like the gypsy tent look...

I have the same issue with a 2006 Honda Odyssey. I only stealth camped in it one night. I used a pre-made front window cover from Amazon and hand made cut outs for the sides. It took a lot of figitting to get the front completely blacked out but it worked. I wonder why people a curtain cross the backseat instead of doing it this way?
I have the same generation minivan as you do. My design preference is one that I can have easy to "set up" front windows need to be clear to roll them down for good air-flow. I eventually want to get two roof hatches installed to help minimize this need. but with a curtain I want to just craw into the back over the seat after rolling down the windows a touch and remove a chip clip pull the curtain into place and be DONE with it.

You mentioned you only stealth camped in it one night. If you get to where I'm at "stealth-ish" camping some 400+ days and STILL don't mind wasting 30-60 seconds fussing with your window coverings each night and morning then you have far more patients than I have ever had!

Just an update...

Wanted to note that I have a minivan and I gutted most of the inside already so I'm not concerned about damage to inside compartments TO MUCH.

I am thinking I will try running either paracord or a bungy across the front and THEN I will use a two thin wooden dowel in the shape of a T the top one to apply stiff pressure from the bottom dowel that will be anchored into place via the passage seat. Might be a bit more off set so I can pass through the front so not quite in the middle. Plus since I never move the passage seat it should work fine. It would be farther away from the air bags so it should be safer at least... might still flip out the top dowel with something even less dangerous such Maybe even just zip ties over the ceiling vents just to help hold up the paracord with the lightweight curtains.

I have some time, but I'm glad others shared their negative long term experience with velcro and the stick stuff. As for driving with the side windows covered I still might try to chip clip the curtains and pull off the front two side windows but the back two and the back back coverings will be sealed into place. I done it before and didn't have issues.

I tried various materials and methods for a curtain behind a van's seats. Thin, black plastic sheeting has been the handiest for me. Lightweight enough to suspend with punched holes and hooks. Also small spring clips. Oversize cut with excess borders to help hide inside lights. Black plastic Amazon link:

https://www.amazon.com/Sheeting-Con...ack+polyethylene+sheeting,aps,93&sr=8-34&th=1
Also a custom fit white outside windshield and side windows curtain, although the black plastic gets used more often and doesn't require going outside.

Hot sun gets the white wraparound treatment.

I think I could sew them...
I have a class C Motor Home and wanted to separate the cab from the camper portion so the A/C or heater will work more efficiently when I'm driving.

I used heavy duty Velcro to hang mine. I measured the entire opening I wanted to cover, without a split, because I want my cat to stay in the camper portion while I drive, then went to the fabric store and got a medium weight cotton blend fabric in dark blue. I placed the toothy part of the velcro on the camper, and sewed the other half to the fabric. This curtain is affixed to my cab over area behind my seats, so I was able to stick the velcro to the vinyl, then used tiny screws in two corners of the velcro to make sure it stays put when I take the curtain down, which I do frequently.

When I'm on road trips and stop for gas and to use my bathroom, I just duck under the curtain, and have complete privacy in the camper portion of the rig. :)

I also used the peel and stick velcro to keep sheets of reflective material in my windows. I just cut them to extend below the window several inches, and placed the velcro on the excess insulation and camper wall so they line up . . . I spent several hot months in Arizona, and so far the velcro has remained on the wall. I bought extra for when it decides to peel off, but it's been working very well for 8 months.

I am in the high desert now and the days have all been 90 plus degrees. The curtain remains in place between the cab and the camper, which helps to keep the entire rig cool for hours. There is no shade and I don't have to power the AC on until about 1pm. :)

When I'm on road trips and stop for gas and to use my bathroom, I just duck under the curtain, and have complete privacy in the camper portion of the rig. :)

I am in the high desert now and the days have all been 90 plus degrees. The curtain remains in place between the cab and the camper, which helps to keep the entire rig cool for hours. There is no shade and I don't have to power the AC on until about 1pm. :)
LOL. The private privy is one of my favorite things about curtains: pull & go.

It is amazing what a difference curtains and other window coverings make! We are in a 100+ pattern now, and the van interior is surprisingly cool without any sun heating up objects inside. (I'm not traveling. Back issues + high temps + old van = no. I realize not everyone has the option. Stay as safe as you can.)

Oh, I recently added a few tiny screws to my velcro'd bug screen installation, too. Works well.

As for filling in the curved space above a straight rod, I found that leaving a top "ruffle" a few inches thick above the casing that the rod goes through does the trick. Hope that makes sense/helps some.
Yes. I agree. If you sew across, several inches down from the top, form a channel. I did this with curtains years ago and just stretched a long bungee cord across to hang it from. Those ruffles worked great to fill that gap.