Fernweh: the beginning

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taj

Traveler, always looking for home.
Reaction score
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bwgphoto/sets/

Ok lets try this again,

Fernweh wasnt the first idea I came up with for a name, it was Vanper, then Vamper, and that was just too creepy for me, and silly... so I read the meaning of Fernweh and thought just how perfect that was for what i embarking on in this stage of my life, so there is the link above to my current up to day collection of photos. Eventually Ill have a Facebook page so my new friends here and my friends out there can follow my adventures. Happy travels my new friends, and comments always appreciated and welcome.

Taj said:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bwgphoto/sets/

Ok lets try this again,

Fernweh wasnt the first idea I came up with for a name, it was Vanper, then Vamper, and that was just too creepy for me, and silly... so I read the meaning of Fernweh and thought just how perfect that was for what i embarking on in this stage of my life, so there is the link above to my current up to day collection of photos. Eventually Ill have a Facebook page so my new friends here and my friends out there can follow my adventures. Happy travels my new friends, and comments always appreciated and welcome.
Hey Taj, I looked at your pictures, looks like you making a good start! And I like the color, though I think stealth camping is out! The insulation will make a big difference, it did on mine, and use Reflectix (spelling?) in the windows when you're parked, in bright sunshine it'll drop the inside temperature by at least 10-15°. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask...

Hi! I already had some success with Fernweh in a walmart parking lot, and its a old service pro van. so she doesnt get a lot of attention. but im a artist, so over the next year or so, all that lovely empty space will become something much more me. As i said, when im doing my travels ill have FB page for this and people can post pictures if they see her on the road.

Hi Taj, When I first read "Fernweh" I thought "Whats a fernweh?"

The meaning makes it perfect!
I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun making it yours.
FYI, I just read that in Europe/Asia when living in smaller spaces they simply put a plastic chain against the wall and clothing then lays against the wall flat using coat hangers. Half or less the space sticking out that way. Just a thought.
Have fun and stay safe

One thought.....
With the mattress in place and other bedding, and assuming some insulation and paneling of the ceiling, how much space will you have over the bed? Looks very cramped to me (but I am a BIG guy....).

Welcome - I love the name!

Unless you're planning on spending a lot of time camped on city streets, stealth isn't that important. Even with a bright green van you should be fine for a day or two and Walmarts don't care about it at all. Have fun doing the build out!

Hi all! thanks for the replies and welcomes! LeeRevell, im going to leave it open space over the bunk, so theres almost 3 ft, ill just have to train myself not too get up fast, im going to put some glow in the dark stars on the ceiling so i see it at night, dont need to knock myself out. And DC fuse, i saw that chain idea! my daughter uses the same thing for her clothes and such in her apartment cause she never has enough closet space.

hi again! nothing like the constant adjusting tweeking and fine tuning, today i spent a hour finally getting my ice chest, ( a 26 dollar no nonsence job i found at dollar general) problemw as that it had no real handles or anchor points so i had to make them, after a bit of experimenting, i added a new c-clamp to the drivers side seat base, some key clips that i had that were attached with steel wire, a zip tie and drilled a couple of holes through the blue layer of plastic, without puncturing the white thermal layer, now i have a ice chest between the seats, it serves as a easy to reach n use table while driving, when you want a cold coke, not having to stop and go into the back to grab one makes it all the more nicer. a bit of 4 inch pvc coupling glued to where the cup holders are will stablize holding cups and i have a place to hold my gps or ipod. in the future it might get regulated to nessary storage instead of a cooler. maybe ill even find a styrofoam cooler to fit inside of it, and use it as both? who knows thats for later...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bwgphoto/ for the pics if interested.

DC Fuse said:
Hi Taj, When I first read "Fernweh" I thought "Whats a fernweh?"

I'd say about 7 or 8 pounds.
;?D

A derivative of the old Smothers Brothers joke, "What's a Grecian urn?"
"Oh about $2.50 an hour."

Sorry, but that joke popped into my head the first time I read the title of your post, and then DC just opened the door, lol. But great name for your van, wanderlust is certainly a part of what attracts me to this lifestyle. Welcome and good luck with your project and hope to see some pics of your art, if possible ;?D

Thats great, I didnt even think about that until you mentioned it. Thanks for the chuckle! And yeah soon ill have my art organized to the point where ill have a real webpage, along with my photography. Im always in the market for people too oggle my work!

Todays progress... well me and habor freight are becoming fast friends, I give them money they give me stuff, and i like this.. today was a pair of light bars, i saw them used in a video blog by Nomatic Fanatic. I like his presence, in any case, i bought them and a some heavy duty 'craft' magnets. I like being able to move things if i can, and i wasnt too sure about the velcro they were using, and i dont want too punch holes into my roof if i can avoid it. ( yes there will be a video, hopefully next week, depends on my health issues, im sick with this stupid summer bug again) so now i have one for over the bed, over the sliding door and now over the vanity, i like light! and I can move them when i need too. Go me! /Users/Taj/Desktop/lights 2.jpg,

ok for some reason it wont let me edit, so ignore the wannabe link at the end, the last pics are on my flikr page if you want too see the lights, I HIGHLY recommend them, and im not a fan of LEDs, but nomatic suggest them and im sold.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bwgphoto/sets

Taj said:
Thats great, I didnt even think about that until you mentioned it. Thanks for the chuckle! And yeah soon ill have my art organized to the point where ill have a real webpage, along with my photography. Im always in the market for people too oggle my work!

Todays progress... well me and habor freight are becoming fast friends, I give them money they give me stuff, and i like this.. today was a pair of light bars, i saw them used in a video blog by Nomatic Fanatic. I like his presence, in any case, i bought them and a some heavy duty 'craft' magnets. I like being able to move things if i can, and i wasnt too sure about the velcro they were using, and i dont want too punch holes into my roof if i can avoid it. ( yes there will be a video, hopefully next week, depends on my health issues, im sick with this stupid summer bug again) so now i have one for over the bed, over the sliding door and now over the vanity, i like light! and I can move them when i need too. Go me! /Users/Taj/Desktop/lights 2.jpg,

ok for some reason it wont let me edit, so ignore the wannabe link at the end, the last pics are on my flikr page if you want too see the lights, I HIGHLY recommend them, and im not a fan of LEDs, but nomatic suggest them and im sold.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bwgphoto/sets

After reading this I assumed the pictures of the lights were on Flickr but I don't see them, am I doing something wrong?

they are in the album "Fernweh" theres quite a few pics in there so you might have to scroll through them.

Taj said:
they are in the album "Fernweh" theres quite a few pics in there so you might have to scroll through them.
I see them!

I like both them and the fan. Post a few pics of the lights installed, I'd like to see them in action...

Latest posts