Soon-to-be Nomad Seeking Advice

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoTiger

Reaction score
[size=small]Hello Friends,[/size]

[size=small]I hope all of you are safe. My name is Greg, I’m 55 yrs old and I live in Missouri. My attempt to embark on a nomadic lifestyle is turning out to be an uphill battle. I’m hoping for some advice and or encouragement as I grapple with some recent curves in the road.[/size]
[size=small]     For years I dreamed of working as a camp host, and living in an RV full-time. I love hiking & the peaceful beauty of nature and have a passion for helping others, so I knew camp hosting would be a perfect fit for me. This winter I finally made a decision to do it. My plan was to secure a summer camp hosting job, purchase a small, light travel trailer to tow behind my SUV, downsize my possessions to fit, and go for it.[/size]
[size=small]     In January, I applied to CLM Services and one of their managers hired me. I was to start June 1st at Shaver Lake in the Sierra National Forest. I was so excited! I notified my landlady that I would be moving out in early May and started looking around for a small travel trailer to pull behind my SUV. I also began the process of downsizing...[/size]
[size=small]In mid-March, I emailed my future boss to ask a couple of questions. She nonchalantly replied “Cooperate decided to go with couples at the large campgrounds.” In other words, back in February, after telling me I was hired, they decided to hire someone else and didn’t have the courtesy to inform me that my job had been given to someone else.[/size]
[size=small]     Shortly thereafter, like many Americans, I also lost my current job due to the pandemic. And being unemployed, my plan of partially financing a travel trailer went out the window. And with parks and campgrounds closing, my entire dream began to look like just that - a dream.[/size]
[size=small]     I decided I would move forward anyway. I would pack up and take off in my SUV and camp for a month. I honestly never wanted to live in a car, SUV or van. In order to get my head around this, I had to look at it as temporary. Just an extended camping trip. Spend some time in the woods, let my head clear, and then plan my next move. I’ll put the rest of my stuff in storage. At least I won’t be paying rent, and the best place to be during a pandemic is in the great outdoors away from people, right? I started shopping for gear. [/size]
[size=small]     Recently, my SUV was stolen, along with a bunch of brand new camping gear. It was found wrecked in the inner city (St. Louis). I just found out today that my insurance company is writing it off as a total loss. They will be sending me a check for apx $6,000, with which to purchase another vehicle. I am scheduled to move out of my apt in 3 days, and now I have to shop for a car.[/size]
[size=small]     Any advice anyone cares to offer will be greatly appreciated. I was already pushing through fear and anxiety to embark on this huge lifestyle change. Now I’m just stunned.[/size]
[size=small]     Should I look for a van? A van is much preferable to an SUV for full-timing. If I’m serious about doing this lifestyle, a van may be my best option, but I don’t know anything about vans. (I spent months researching full-time RVing, and travel trailers.) In my experience driving work vans, most are sluggish and get terrible gas mileage. I’m also afraid that once I go the van route, that will be the end of my RV dream. If that makes any sense.[/size]
[size=small]     What vans should I start looking at? Any I should avoid? What are the pros/cons of different vans. Please feel free to share anything you think might help. Feel free to recommend specific models.[/size]
[size=small]     Thank you, and I’m sorry this post is so long. I hope to see some of you on the road soon![/size]

[size=small]-Greg[/size]

Welcome to the forum, it's good to have you here. I'm so sorry for your problems right now but just keep a positive attitude and keep working on your future.

I use a 21' travel trailer and a truck... the walk around room and restroom is nice, but the 8 mpg towing it is not.

If I wanted a van I would get a Chevy Express van for the extra room it has. The mileage won't be as good as a minivan, but I need room to move around.

Wow Greg, what a series of miserable coincidences. You're in a difficult spot for sure.

Would your LL allow you to pay/stay for two more weeks? Do you have a friend or relative who will put you up on a couch?

No one here can tell you whether or not YOU should look for a van. But were I you, that's what I would do. $6K is enough to buy a decent used cargo van, but the odds are are against you being able to buy a decent rig/trailer combo, small RV, or conversion van for that amount of money. You could buy an SUV or pickup with camper shell large enough to pull a trailer, and live in that until you can afford the trailer, but you don't know how long that will be.

Or, to preserve your capital, a passenger vehicle and a tent might be an option. That would get you at least through the summer, by which time a lot of things will be much clearer.

I have a 2001 ordinary cargo van and prefer it to anything else. Sure, I could use more room, but the trade-off would be loss of flexibility in the places I can get to. Also, need I point out that you won't get real great mileage pulling a trailer, either. My v6 gets about 17 mpg, which seems quite affordable to me.

You don't need to buy new camping gear. Plenty of it can be found in thrift stores, as well as lots of ordinary household stuff that can be repurposed. The only thing I'd buy new is a good sleeping bag, and even that is not strictly necessary.

It can be very difficult to shift mental and emotional gears, especially on such short notice. But when I've had to do it, I have always found that in the long run, it's forced me to be more resilient and more creative. However much I might still regret the circumstances that knocked me for a loop, I can't be sorry about the mental and emotional assets I gained.

Don't look back, because back is not where you're heading.

Welcome to the CRVL forums Greg! I'm sorry that you are in such a difficult situation. You may not be able to find a suitable van with the limited time you have to search for one. In that case, your plan to camp in an SUV could be your best option. A trailer can be bought later once you get your finances straightened out.

Camp hosts often quit shortly after they take the job so try calling around to see if there are any spots open with the companies that do the hiring. Good luck!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Sorry it is going hard but there is an old church song that says "Count your Blessings". that's not just a cliche. Is your glass half full or half empty? You have cash in hand to choose/buy a vehicle. You have already been downsizing. Gas is less than $2 a gallon. Spring is the best time of the year to start on the road. You have connected to CRVL for advice and knowledge that covers all types of vehicles. You don't have Covid 19. I know you can add to this list.

Do Not put yourself out on the street when you are currently in a residence. If you can not move into something different whatever it is STAY PUT and try to extend your stay by talking to your LL. If they wont have consideration for your situation then  make them get a court order to remove you. By the time they file all the papers you will have plenty of time.. and who knows a judge during these crazy times may very well allow you to stay.

Nothing absolutely nothing means anything unless a judge rules. If you are out roaming around the streets you will burn through your cash and put the final nail into your dreams. Life is stressful now?..Wait til it is happening inside of a cardboard box.

Whether living in a van, a car, a tent, or a 100k RV...LOL.. stop judging and start loving yourself and choices.  They are all good choices for people. I would never want an RV.. I like vans. I suggest you watch some of the van builds and see that a nice quality of life is doable.. even in a car!

Be advised unless you have an RV with a warranty or buy nearly new your gonna be in  bad shape if /when something goes wrong. You do realize not every mechanic can fix those as readily as a van/car. The parts are going to be much more costly and you will be waiting for the parts to arrive as very few places will have them on hand.

I would take a 6k van with an air mattress over a 6k RV any day.

Your statement of "I honestly never wanted to live in a car, SUV or van." will be the most difficult obstacle to ensure you succeed. Maybe you could take a moment and make a list of WHY living in a van, suv or car is good. If you can't make much of a list.. I suggest NOT doing it. Rarely does being forced into a choice work out well. Willfully choosing is soo much better.

Good luck!

I am grateful for everyone's advice and suggestions. Thank you all! And despite recent setbacks, I am also grateful that I have savings to live on for the time being, and have been able to replace the stolen items. Many Americans are facing a financial crisis right now, but I am not. I have an emergency fund.

I called my landlady today and we agreed that I will stay here another week, or longer if necessary. Heck, she doesn't want me to leave - lol!

I already made up my mind that I am moving forward. It took me some time to get my head around moving into my SUV, but I was ready to do it. Now it's just a matter of figuring out what the vehicle is going to be, since the SUV is gone.

I especially appreciate the reminders "Don't look back, because back is not where you're heading" and "keep working on your future." I was tending to get stuck in what has already happened, and projecting that into the future, like walking in a mine-field waiting for the next explosion. I sometimes forget an old lesson that the worst events in my life often turn out to be more good than bad in the long run. Sometimes the worst thing turns out to be the best thing that ever happened to me.

Thanks again,

Greg

NIce! I am glad you have sorted out the landlady issue. That is huge  stress reliever I am sure. 

Can't to see what you find and see your build out progress.

I also want to say I regret giving an impression that I'm negative on vans. I’ve watched vanlife videos on YouTube for several years (as well as RVing, tiny house movement, etc.) I’ve been really impressed with many van builds and I understand why so many people choose to full-time in vans. But by the time you reach your 50s, you know yourself pretty well. I know myself well enough to know that I can be happy living in a 20 foot travel trailer. But I have never been able to imagine myself being happy living in any vehicle I cannot stand up in.

I’m reminded of a post I made on an Rvers forum a few months back, regarding a used 16-foot travel trailer I was considering. A couple of forum members strongly encouraged me not to consider anything less than a 30-foot trailer, saying that when it rains for 3 days straight I will loose my mind in that tiny trailer.

At any rate, I am going on the road and camp and hike for a month, and I will find out just what I do and don’t like about vehicle living. If I take to it, wonderful! I hope I love it. If not, I might be looking for one of those national park or resort jobs, where they provide room & board. Or maybe join that SpaceX mission to mars!

Hello and welcome to the forum!

On replacing the vehicle, I would recomend a white van or white truck. You are working for CLM Services and they like white vehicles. I have camp hosted out of a pickup, and also a van. Both worked out nicely, each had their good points and their hassles.

Contact CLM Services ASAP and request a different assignment. CLM knew that you were one person when they hired you, and they do actually hire quite a few singles. You will get plenty of hours with a smaller one person campground. If Cali jobs are full, try Oregon or Washington. If you need a contact phone number, pm me. Good luck!
-crofter

MoTiger said:
I’m reminded of a post I made on an Rvers forum a few months back, regarding a used 16-foot travel trailer I was considering. A couple of forum members strongly encouraged me not to consider anything less than a 30-foot trailer, saying that when it rains for 3 days straight I will loose my mind in that tiny trailer.

Even though we have an RV I have stopped reading and contributing to RV forums because the lifestyle of most of their members is so different that the way we travel and camp. The CRVL lifestyle fits us much better so when RVers say that you need a larger trailer keep in mind that most of them stay in RV parks or established campgrounds. They know little about camping on public land, solar power, or conserving water and other resources.

No fancy camping for me either, I like my little 21' trailer out in boondocking country. I do use a generator and solar though, depending on the heat of the day.

My two cents, get the biggest thing you can afford and feel comfortable driving. Think about where you want to go and where will you be parking. I don't care what anybody says, you can't have too much room. I am always amazed by people that are living comfortably in an SUV. I have a extended, high top Ford and could still use a little extra space LOL. If I had known when I bought it that I would end up living in it, I would have bought a box van.

More space equals more stuff to carry around. My 21' Roadtrek had more than enough space for the 2 of us. The thing I really like about this B+ is I can go so many places my larger RV friends can't. If I want to camp with them for some company, I have to stay more on the beaten path. Solar, generator and alternator charging is the way to go.

If I stay in an RV park it is the cheapest one around and I only stay one night. This allows me to take care of all necessities in one stop and I may even get a long shower in.

Good luck!

Hey there, glad things are coming around for ya. My very brief 2 cents are:
I have a truck and trailer setup and the space is great but the versatility and FREEDOM of simpler van life is honestly something I really miss.
Also, a minivan can be great. They are awesome on gas mileage and inconspicuous for city life/travel. I lived in one with my partner, our friend, 2 cats and 2 dogs, if you can believe it (though we only all slept in there during city visits, preferring to spread out at campsites) so you can too! We simply put a piece of ply board (bisected) out in the back (all back seats removed) with memory foam and bedding on top. All our stuff lived in milk crates under the wood, which we could slide or tip up for access. We had curtains and a windshield sun shade for privacy.
You got this, your luck will turn around!

MoTiger...…we share many concerns.

I must admit that life has dealt you a pretty tough hand. It will take everything you have moving forward, but that is the only direction to go. If you sit and ponder what has happened, you will go nuts. Perhaps your destiny has been decided for you. :)

I am one of those weird people who don't really need people, but the idea of camping alone in the wide open spaces is a little scary. No one to hear you if you need help. That is an emotional block I will have to deal with.

I wanted to get a Sprinter or Transit van and convert it, but the dollars were just not there. I can do a lot of traveling for the $40,000 it would have cost me to put that dream into play. I went with an Aliner hard sided pop up camper. It is very light, less than 1500 lbs. and my truck can pull it very easy. It is great for a single person, two would be too crowded.

Once again, I appreciate everyone's feedback. I have always placed a high priority on reliability above all else, and gas mileage second. Though I would love to have the space of a larger van, after lots of reading and thinking, I decided to look for a minivan, preferably a Toyota Sienna. Unfortunately, not many are on the market in my area right now. In fact, I just narrowly missed a nice one. Somebody beat me to it. Tomorrow I'm gonna check on a Honda Odyssey.

Thanks again. I'll keep y'all posted.

-Greg

A mini van seems like a great option for many. My full size Dodge gets 13 to 17 mpg. With a nice mini van you can drive much further for the same money. Thank God the gas price is down now but does anyone think it will stay that way? As for me and a minivan I am too fat and old to "craw" around. I know my medical problems can't be cured but loosing weight would make living with those problems easier. But easier said than done.(he says as he washes down the last donut in the box). I guess I am going off topic - Bob has a lot of videos on minivans that show it can be done an enjoyed. I think that the smaller the vehicle is (as others have said) you live out of your vehicle not in it.

Yeah, a minivan to me would be ideal. I don’t mind a small space and stealth is important where I am. When you get more money you can move into something bigger but you work with what you have. That’s how I started. I got a large Thule cargo box for the top of my SUV which helps a lot. And they guy who took out all my seats (including front passenger) and built a floor made a pull out piece of wood I use as a desk/work/cook space) But reality is we start where we’re at.
As far as the couples thing I wonder if you couldn’t find someone on here to be a “couple” with. I know I’d do something like that in the future. I’d actually prefer not working alone.

I finally bought a van, a 2009 Toyota Sienna. I want to thank everyone who contributed to this thread. Much appreciated.