Soon-to-be Nomad Seeking Advice

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We kind of bashed the heck out of him on the other thread, so he thought he could escape over here (jk).

A minivan makes a good small sized RV. Bob Wells has videos recommending these as a good way to get started, quick and easy. I bought a regular cargo van, but started minimal because I wanted to hit the road right away, and not spend weeks or months of time and lots of money on the build. Then I've been refining it over 3 years as I go. Carpe diem.

Then you can buy a Jackery and have instant power too, with no wiring mess to deal with.

https://www.amazon.com/Jackery-Portable-Solar-Ready-Generator-Emergency/dp/B07SM5HBK1
https://www.amazon.com/Jackery-Portable-Power-Station-Generator/dp/B07D29QNMJ

B and C said:
More space equals more stuff to carry around.  My 21' Roadtrek had more than enough space for the 2 of us.  The thing I really like about this B+ is I can go so many places my larger RV friends can't.  If I want to camp with them for some company, I have to stay more on the beaten path.  Solar, generator and alternator charging is the way to go. 

If I stay in an RV park it is the cheapest one around and I only stay one night.  This allows me to take care of all necessities in one stop and I may even get a long shower in.

Good luck!
This is rather how i feel.  I'm buying an 18 foot cargo trailer.  It's light enough that I can pull it behind my Xterra and large enough that I think I won't feel cramped.  I wanted a little extra room inside for a work area/dining area where I can have a meal with my sons or with guests.  I got the 4 inch lift (which i "think" means straight axle rather than dropped axle) so i can have a little extra clearance for some more rugged roads.  I want to hook it up with solar although to start with it will be just a generator and maybe a shore line for those rare times i'm in a campground.  And I do plan to go to RV parks now and then for the power and water and amenities.  That long shower will be heavenly once I get my rig all set up for it. 
Right now i'm waiting for them to finish making my trailer.  They just put me off for another 19 days or so.  Gotta love this COVID crap.  However, it's not all bad.  I have a few more weeks to store up "stuff" to go in the trailer (nice flooring, wires for the electrical, etc.) and work on my layout. 
I'll probably stay mostly in the southeast.  I traveled in the past and have lived in Germany, Washington state, Georgia, Tennessee, and my "home" is Alabama.  It will be nice to be able to travel a bit (I'd love to catch an RTR one year), but I think I will mostly just be here in the southeast.  We'll see!  Looking forward to meeting some of y'all out there.

Just something to consider in regards to vans. I went with a Shuttle Bus and converted it to an RV. Mine is a 2000 Ford with the V10 / 120,000 miles and gets 10-14 MPG depending on how I drive...
Found mine on Craigslist and purchased for $5000 with almost $3000 in the conversion which I did over months and continue to ad to.
If considering a bus check the VIN number BEFORE you buy it. Get an insurance quote, and check with your state DMV to see if it would need to be converted from a commercial vehicle to private. I am in Florida, mine was commercial but converted to private pretty easy once I found an insurance agent willing to spend the effort helping get it done. This is all a little more hassle but well worth it in the end. I have been able to build a comfy, dependable home on wheels with plenty of room and all the perks. (head room, shower, toilet, sink, recliner, microwave, fridge, full size bed, storage etc)
The trade off for all the room and comfort is of course MPG but people build million dollar homes that are not perfect.....
Good Luck
God Bless

an 18ft trailer behind an Xterra, yikes.

have you towed a trailer like that before behind said SUV?
does the trailer have brakes?
1 or 2 axles?

highdesertranger