Feedback please on this idea for having a van plus trailer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You would not need to be stuck with the RV crowd or even the van crowd but you need 4 wheel drive and have had the trailer lifted. Most of the roads though are just not that bad but you usually can find some alone time simply by going down a trail others will not. There are limitations as to where I can take my 25 ft trailer like extremely sharp switch backs and across deep gullies but every combination has some restrictions.

remember signs advertising your business = commercial. all commercial vehicles must stop at weigh stations. just a thought. a 4x4 towing a lifted converted cargo trailer can go a lot of places. highdesertranger

Have you considered Sportsmobile? Or even a 4x4 service body Van? Sounds like you're settled on new but, with the right platform, the used market can be a wonderful value. In Canada, how writing off equipment works, owning can be just as good at getting money back as leasing a vehicle. Not sure of the logistics south of the border though.

Moreover, if you have the time and are willing, a custom cargo trailer would be MILES a ahead for durability over a factory hard side RV. The trailer will most likely not enjoy anything but gravel roads.

TubaDoor said:
Have you considered Sportsmobile? Or even a 4x4 service body Van? Sounds like you're settled on new but, with the right platform, the used market can be a wonderful value. In Canada, how writing off equipment works, owning can be just as good at getting money back as leasing a vehicle. Not sure of the logistics south of the border though.

Moreover, if you have the time and are willing, a custom cargo trailer would be MILES a ahead for durability over a factory hard side RV. The trailer will most likely not enjoy anything but gravel roads.

Regardless, you're on to something: Self-contained and able to work anywhere you want? Truly hope that works out for you! That is my ideal but working as a mobile door mechanic/tuba player seems out of reach and/or totally unwieldy to pull this off. Good luck! 

bullfrog said:
jimindenver does a pretty good job with his rig even with the weight of alot of solar maybe he will post.

My 25 foot bunk house is 4200 pounds dry and running around 7000 pounds loaded to the gills. It is lifted and pulled by a Ford Expedition 4x4. I do have limitations as far as how tight of a switchback I can take and a deep short gulch will get the tail to drag if I do not take it at a long angle and even then I have to watch how far I tip the rig. Other than that I can tell you that I do not see too many vans on the jeep trails.

Now then, off road is not gravel, It's not wash boards, to me it means dropping down to 4x4 low and crawling over rocks at a speed so slow that it takes a hour to go a mile. It is tiring paying attention to the placement of 8 wheels knowing that it isn't where the truck goes but rather where the trailer will follow. With no spotter I get out multiple times checking clearances over and over. It is worth the effort if and when I feel like being alone.

jimindenver said:
It is tiring paying attention to the placement of 8 wheels knowing that it isn't where the truck goes but rather where the trailer will follow. With no spotter I get out multiple times checking clearances over and over. It is worth the effort if and when I feel like being alone.

Would some strategically-placed cameras be worth the expense and effort, perhaps?  They're getting so small and cheap these days!  A video switcher so you can swap between 8 views, wow like 20 bucks on Amazon.

Not having to always stop and get out, priceless.  Maybe?

Depending on your DIY abilities, building yourself a custom cargo trailer conversion might have a lot of benefits for what you are proposing. Due to the high cost of light weight travel trailers, and the poor construction of most TTs I went the custom cargo trailer route. This way you can outfit it to meet your own personal needs without extra weight of all that fragile stuff they fill RVs with. With RVs you get to drag around a lot of built in stuff that will not be durable. A converted cargo trailer can be much lighter and much more durable. There are a lot of videos on YouTube for inspiration. Another CT advantage is stealth. Another CT advantage is registration. My state has one time registration for cargo trailers and annual registration for TTs. There may be some disadvantages that I have not encountered yet with the CT conversion, but so far I am glad that I did it myself, and I love my CT conversion.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I would be wary of taking the Transit on remote sites. I really like the Transit but the clearance particularly in the back is really low and tires are very small. 

I did a test drive and got stuck / spun my tires in a couple of places in the desert that never happened with the Chevy Expresss/GMC Savana that I eventually got. 

It was the poor traction and low clearance which made me decide the Transit was not for me.

cortttt said:
It was the poor traction and low clearance which made me decide the Transit was not for me.

There is a 'factory' 4x4 Transit available (outsourced from the factory to a converter), if I remember correctly.   And the normal RWD is available with a mechanical limited slip diff.   Transit does have the least clearance of the fullsize vans, but I imagine driver skill is more important than the stats.

OP:  since you are 6'3" I'd recommend the High Roof (6' 9.5") rather than Medium Roof (6').

frater secessus said:
There is a 'factory' 4x4 Transit available (outsourced from the factory to a converter), if I remember correctly.   And the normal RWD is available with a mechanical limited slip diff.   Transit does have the least clearance of the fullsize vans, but I imagine driver skill is more important than the stats.

OP:  since you are 6'3" I'd recommend the High Roof (6' 9.5") rather than Medium Roof (6').

I looked at the medium and high roof.   I wouldn’t be living in the van and the medium roof was very good for what i need the van for.   :)

I've been considering doing the same, a van and trailer camper. This lady is showing me a van this Sunday and its not a 4x4. I would of liked a 4x4 but for the price and my low income it might have to do. I've seen 4x4 trucks and 4x4 vans and they are so high priced that I'd dread paying 300-400 monthly payment plus the insurance and for up to 5yrs? Damn! I'd like to buy a travel trailer but under $5000 and finance it. And if the van i'm going to look at is not worth buying then I'll consider a 4x4 pick up later, a small one though. I've had a Nissan Frontier and has over 265K miles but next time I get a pick up its going to be a 4x4 and used and it will tow a 22foot travel trailer. Going into the back woods and parking in the nooks and crannies is something I see myself doing and this van will limit me to that side but for the price -$1000 and whatever repairs it might need I can afford it. Another benefit this low priced van, if I buy it, will give me the thrill to put those monthly payments into a very big solar panel system and paid off. That... will be very cool if works out and deal with limited off road parking for a while.

I’m thinking that the trailer will give the comforts of home but then could be left behind for a few days in order to take the van or truck deeper into the woods for van camping or tent camping.   Maybe this combo can provide a greater variety of experiences?

I've owned a 4x4, and a 4x2(2wheel drive). The 4x4 was first. This is what I learned. My Tacoma that was a DoubleCab PreRunner(4x2) had plenty of clearance, and went places that most people who own 4x4s have never gone. I never got stuck. The important thing to remember is unless you live somewhere there is a lot of snow, you will likely be among the vast majority of people who have it and pay for the extra expense, and never use it. The percentage of people who own and actually use 4 wheel drive verses the people who own 4x4s and never use or need it is tiny. What I am getting at is that most people waste their money on a 4x4 that they will never use. There is a higher initial cost, higher maintenance cost, higher insurance cost,and higher fuel costs. I have learned that a traction aid would be a far better choice for about 90% or more of most people. There are several choices, but I am partial to devices known as E-lockers. If you don't know what I mean, I will explain.

A differential allows you vehicle's wheels to turn at different speeds from each other because when you are going around a corner your wheels are traveling different distances. This is true of all vehicles 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive. Even some 3 wheel vehicles. It is necessary for on road use because otherwise you would be losing traction on one tire every time you turned. It would wear out your tires faster, and be dangerous. A traction aid is a device that is designed to control that difference between the two sides. In an off road situation a stock differential can allow one tire to spin while the other does nothing, but a traction aid controls this. With a locking differential you can have the same traction as a 4x4(with non locking differentials) in a 2wd vehicle.

Let me simplify. In a low traction situation a 2 wheel drive is really only a one wheel drive, and a 4x4 is really only a a 2wd because of how differentials work normally. Traction aids change this by changing how the differentials work. A traction aid makes both wheels turn on the axle instead of the one with least resistance. Without a traction aid if you had one tire in mud and one on solid ground the mud side spins and the solid ground does nothing, but with a traction aid both wheels turn so the side with traction will move the vehicle.

There are a lot of traction aid choices.

Limited slip differentials are not as effective, but can help and are more pavement friendly. Also may be better for snow, but I'm not an expert on snow.

Then there are mechanical lockers which lock wheels when the gas pedal is pushed so they are tricky to drive on pavement.

Selectable lockers are the best of both worlds because they work only when needed.

Most people would be doing themselves a big favor by getting a 2wd with a selectable locker instead of a 4x4. Lower costs and the same traction as a 4x4 without a traction aid.

Now if you have a 4x4 a traction aid will really up your traction and allow you to go in really challenging places, but very few people even actually use their 4x4s.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

free2enjoy: Going solo,with your boondocking experience, an appropriately sized winch would be helpful (at least a good shovel), & at the very least be prepared.

Hey, F2E ...

It looks like you've got some good input from some other, much more qualified folks that myself.  I'm chiming in simply because this is one of my current wrestling matches as well.  Space vs mobility.

One difference driving my thinking is that my oldest daughter may be coming with me.  I am blessed to have her!  But, she requires space just like I do.  Ideally, each in our own discrete space.  One solution I looked at was the van + cargo trailer.  One of us could have the van, the other the trailer.  Comments like some of the above like backing up and the ability to get away from crowds (if I can see another camper, I'm in a crowd!) have influenced my thinking considerably.

Where my thoughts are currently hovering is two vehicles.  I already have a Hyundai Santa Fe, and I've been shopping for another 4X4 or AWD vehicle to add to the fleet.  My daughter could have her own space AND transportation, and likewise, so would I.

But, if I were traveling alone, if for some reason my daughter decides not to live on the road just yet, I'd opt for a 4X4 van with a high top, and a trailer hitch carrier for extra cargo capacity.

Again, just my humble opinion, only offering some thinking points that crossed my radar, not making a suggestion.

Good luck with your choice!  Maybe I'll see you on the road ... assuming I can get to it!  :)

We are in similar positions. I just joined this forum since I am planning to sell my SUV for a van and once the van is converted, sell my TT. At that point I will buy a small cargo trailer to pull behind the van. My present set up is a Tahoe pulling a 27 Lance TT. Although I love the Lance, it is too restrictive for where I want to go at times and not as mobile as I want. So I will follow this post with great interest in hearing what you decide to do.

I’m hopefully gonna have a van in my name next week, but have already started looking for a 6 x 12” tandem cargo trailer with Dexter axels.

From what I have seen so far used ones in good shape are fairly close to the cost of a new one from a dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trailers being pulled by vans not only are limited to access like Bob stated on the first page of this thread, but you are also easily monitored on the road. I personally would not feel too comfortable unhitching unless it was a paid secure lot or a safe residence.

Do like Buddah and break your invisible bonds to 'things!' The NV3500 has 8.1" ground clearance and some sort of positive (slip) traction. I don't need a 4 wheel drive or a trailer, but then again, I'm not Daniel Boone either. The more toys you add, the harder it is to have a fool-proof system with required maintenance and all: and required maintenance goes 'double' for living in a van. Living in a Service-lounge or renta-car frequently is not exactly ideal.   :cool:

Nothing is free: especially your freedom.

There are a lot of remote areas here in Arizona that I can get into with my rig pictured.
f11748cac85f41cd6adbb8d8e3f4c350.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk