Feedback please on this idea for having a van plus trailer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No pictures of in the boonies, but Meow Wolf was on the way.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I just saw a great PM van with smallish cargo trailer going down the road. That van had everything, even a ladder up the back door, a step under the side door, solar and fans on top, an awning, and enough travel stickers on the cargo trailer that you know the rig was working out pretty good. Delaware plates. BTW, propane bottle was mounted on the tongue of the cargo trailer.  ~crofter

Note on the older Lance trailers (pre 2016 I think anything with out the 4" square bumper) you will need the lift kit that can only be sourced from Lance due to the light weight frame. It is a 6" lift which is great for off road but cuts mileage and you will be using blocks at the corners and sometimes an extra step. The kit not pricey for what it is but shipping to a non commercial address is because it has to come truck freight. I found it was cheaper to have Lance dealer install than to ship to my brothers house and do it myself. Had to redo part of it (brake wiring) because I did not like how they did it (wire nuts) but that another story.

Like the our lance (2012 1885) and have towed in down so pretty bad roads and even some not roads (with 4x4 pu)  but not as capable as our previous truck camper set up but of course lots more room. Biggest fear is not being able to turn around and having to back up some monster turning switchbacks. I get out and scout (walk) muck more than I did with pickup camper but still get into some remote sites.

Hope that helps

My honest opinion is that combination for any serious off road boondocking is going to be more trouble than fun. If you plan on staying just off the blacktop you can expect good results and if you do get hung up in the sand a tow by a helpful person would be more probable. But if you get 45' of rig hung up in a curve or on a switchback it might be an expensive journey. Can you convert some of your business to drop shipping? At least you don't have to take inventory on the road with you. And save yourself the trouble of finding a place to ship from. And in addition you can reduce the size of the trailer to better suit your needs for off roading. I'm in an extended Ford and I don't think I would go over ten feet on the trailer. At least you can drop it and manually turn it around if you had to. I've been in situations where there was no other option but to get the trailer just far enough off the trail to allow the tow to turn around and get past then using straps to pull the trailer back onto the trail and hook up again. I hope some of the ideas help you with this one. Having a mobile business is tough but off road is really a new venture.
I'm interested in what you work out.
Keep us posted please. And best wishes to you and your business.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk