Feedback please on this idea for having a van plus trailer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

free2enjoy

Reaction score
Hello all....

I got a specific question below....please allow me to paint a picture....

I'm currently living fulltime in my 5th wheel at a local campground while working my career job, un-creating my old life (divorcing, selling house, emptying the nest, etc...) and I'm planning my next step into fulltime RVing/freedom....

I have an online business that will be my source of income once I leave my career job.  This business easily fits in my 5th wheel but I don't want to take the 5th wheel on the road.  I may keep it to be a homebase but not for travelling.   

I want to be in the best configuration for boondocking in interesting places.

So my initial idea is to get a Ford Transit medium roof (I need some ability to stand in the van, I'm 6'3")  and the van would be my office, "factory", shipping dept, etc...., and daily driver.  I need the volume of this kind of van to mostly keep my emptying bottling.

And for living in, I'm looking at travel trailers, particularly the Lance, in the 19-23' range.   

I will be living fulltime with my gf.

Solar is part of the plan, a combination of roof panels and portable panels plus inverter generator.

My specific question is this:

How will this configuration (van plus trailer) help or hurt me to get to remote camping areas?

Thanks!  Andrew

The key variable is "remote", usually very rough tracks.

Insufficient ground clearance on the van, and the trailer way too big, are the biggest issues.

I have found that even with my small pickup and 10' utility trailer, I think twice about heading down certain roads or driveways. Backing up a trailer any distance can really suck, especially in the dark.

That Transit Van might struggle a bit with a travel trailer in the mountains...

I have narrowed my search to factory high roof vans with a big motor, and there are only a few of those, the Nissan NV V-8 being one of them.

tx2sturgis said:
That Transit Van might struggle a bit with a travel trailer in the mountains...

I have narrowed my search to factory high roof vans with a big motor, and there are only a few of those, the Nissan NV V-8 being one of them.

If I go with the Transit van, I would get the turbocharged V6 for the hill climbing.  

I did look at the Nissan since it's a van on a truck chassis with a V8, but it's limited in cargo volume.   

The rear end of the Transit looked like a truck vs. the ProMaster.

WanderingCanuck said:
I have found that even with my small pickup and 10' utility trailer, I think twice about heading down certain roads or driveways. Backing up a trailer any distance can really suck, especially in the dark.

That's a great point!

I guess the follow on question is with my proposed rig of a Transit van and a 20' trailer, are there plenty of enjoyable places to boondock or does it take a 4x4 or a van without a trailer to get to these spots?

I'm in a good spot having the business to take on the road but understandably leaves me in this compromise for exploring. I don't have any experience at all boondocking so I'm at a loss.

The other option isn't really an option I like....containing the home and business in a Class A (need the basement storage) and towing a 4x4 or having a 4x4 pickup towing a 5th wheel (again for the basement storage for the business.

The other consideration is that probably twice weekly, we would be heading to a post office to drop off orders.

Have you considered a cube van or moving van/truck with some space above the cab? One of these has been high on my list of considerations. You get lots of easily configurable space, a big engine that's meant for hauling and rear wheel drive (usually dual). You can choose the length - 10', 12', 16', 20' and partition the interior as you need.

Stick a company logo on the side if you aren't trying to be stealthy and as far as anyone else is concerned, it's just your delivery vehicle.

You’re going to be an RV and you will be stuck camping with the RV crowd—is that remote enough for you?

It’s far too limiting for me so I sold my 6x10 cargo trailer and travel in just my van.

To be fair, some RVers do go back past the RV crowd, but they usually have a 4x4 tow vehicle and still can’t go where I go with a 2wd van because the trailer limits them.

Anything can be done with megabuck$

maximog3.jpg

Attachments

• maximog3.jpg
    maximog3.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 29
You and your driving skills/judgment will be the most important factor. Manufactured camping trailers have low hanging tanks made of plastic with little protection, are heavy with those tanks full and at 20' would most likely limit where you could take them off good graded roads without damaging them. Some people resort to a 4x4 truck with topper or a short 5th wheel pulled with a 4x4 truck. Some seem to do well with vans with a locker and some recovery tools but an older heavy 20' camper pulled by a built out van would probably be hard on the drive train. Lots of people use a toyhauler to get close then park, unload and explore on a purpose built ATV or UTV with enough camping gear for a few weeks. jimindenver does a pretty good job with his rig even with the weight of alot of solar maybe he will post.

WanderingCanuck said:
Have you considered a cube van or moving van/truck with some space above the cab?  One of these has been high on my list of considerations.  You get lots of easily configurable space, a big engine that's meant for hauling and rear wheel drive (usually dual).  You can choose the length - 10', 12', 16', 20' and partition the interior as you need.

Stick a company logo on the side if you aren't trying to be stealthy and as far as anyone else is concerned, it's just your delivery vehicle.

I need the van to be my daily driver so the choices have been the Sprinter, ProMaster, Nissan NV, and the Transit.  

No way with the Sprinter...not buying a Mercedes product.  

The ProMaster for my needs won't work because of the front wheel drive and the rear axle.  It's probably ok for towing a trailer around town but I doubt it's a good choice for towing a camper up and down mountains.  

The Nissan is actually too small even with the high top and the high top looks like an afterthought.  

That leaves the Transit.  I can get it in silver, the medium roof is perfect while not looking like an ice cream truck like the Nissan high roof, and I liked the truck suspension in the rear.  I think the turbocharged engine will be the ticket for the mountain towing but I still need to learn more.  I also like the Transit's modern cockpit.

The box trucks will simply be too big for being a daily driver.  

Likely, I would be buying an end of year closeout deal.  And for the camper it likely would be on that is 2-4 years old.  

For advertising, I would design magnetic signs using the same graphics as my website.  I do all the design work.  When we hit the road we will put the signs up and when we are ready to head for a campsite, we would already have the signs down.  We won't be advertising to our fellow campers, just making friends and enjoying time wherever we are.

akrvbob said:
You’re going to be an RV and you will be stuck camping with the RV crowd—is that remote enough for you?

It’s far too limiting for me so I sold my 6x10 cargo trailer and travel in just my van.

To be fair, some RVers do go back past the RV crowd, but they usually have a 4x4 tow vehicle and still can’t go where I go with a 2wd van because the trailer limits them.
Thanks Bob!

I currently live in a campground fulltime in my 5th wheel in South Florida and definitely don't want that as my normal routine even though the people here are wonderful and the campground is in the agricultural district outside the metropolis.  I don't want to be in an RV marina.  

But I don't want to leave my business behind.  My intent is to live on less that we make from the business and grow our wealth month by month.  

Maybe what we can do is drop off the camper for a few days at a time somewhere (campground storage) and take the van for some boondocking with tents?  I intend to have solar on the van roof and portable solar too.  I was also planning on having an additional water tank in the van to use for the trailer, etc..., so maybe building this flexibility into the van will help add options to what we are able to do.

I watched your video today of the couple that bought a Winnebago rental and got a lot out of that...thanks for all you do!

Andrew

bullfrog said:
You and your driving skills/judgment will be the most important factor.  Manufactured camping trailers have low hanging tanks made of plastic with little protection, are heavy with those tanks full and at 20' would most likely limit where you could take them off good graded roads without damaging them.   Some people resort to a 4x4 truck with topper or a short 5th wheel pulled with a 4x4 truck.  Some seem to do well with vans with a locker and some recovery tools but an older heavy 20' camper pulled by a built out van would probably be hard on the drive train.  Lots of people use a toyhauler to get close then park, unload and explore on a purpose built ATV or UTV with enough camping gear for a few weeks. jimindenver does a pretty good job with his rig even with the weight of alot of solar maybe he will post.

Those are all excellent insights for me, thanks!

To avoid the weight, I'm looking at the flexible panels even though they can be damaged easier.  It would be easy to carry spares and use them also as portable panels.  

The trailers I'm looking at would be around 4000lbs empty.  I was looking at 14-16' single axle ones but I'm not sure a single axle is the best choice since if I get a flat, I could keep towing the trailer enough to get to a safe place to change the tire??

free2enjo said:
The trailers I'm looking at would be around 4000lbs empty.  I was looking at 14-16' single axle ones but I'm not sure a single axle is the best choice since if I get a flat, I could keep towing the trailer enough to get to a safe place to change the tire??
I looked at these vans a few years ago, was amazed by their roominess, but was struck by the torque curves on some - to really get to the 5000 lb tow capability, those V6s needed to be at 4000 rpm. Don't remember which that was, but if you're planning on towing with one, might be worth a good look.

akrvbob said:

I know this is probably a dumb question but considering the limitations of towing a cargo trailer and being with the RV crowd, are there still plenty of BLM areas to pick from?

drysailor said:
I looked at these vans a few years ago, was amazed by their roominess, but was struck by the torque curves on some - to really get to the 5000 lb tow capability, those V6s needed to be at 4000 rpm. Don't remember which that was, but if you're planning on towing with one, might be worth a good look.

Thanks, I will definitely take a look along those lines.  :)

drysailor said:

Maybe this Wiki page can offer insights into the turbocharged V6 that is available on the Transit van

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_EcoBoost_engine

free2enjoy said:
I need the van to be my daily driver so the choices have been the Sprinter, ProMaster, Nissan NV, and the Transit. 

I'm down to the same list myself, favouring the Transit and ProMaster at the moment. My only stumbling block is kayak storage, which is where the cube van idea comes in.

WanderingCanuck said:
I'm down to the same list myself, favouring the Transit and ProMaster at the moment. My only stumbling block is kayak storage, which is where the cube van idea comes in.

I really liked the ProMaster for many reasons, but that front wheel drive kind of makes it seem like a gigantic minivan and I'm thinking for towing it would be a nightmare.  

I liked that the floor deck is so low, that the front legroom with the sideways mounted engine is excellent, and that it is the lowest price of any of these.  

I'm about 4 years from likely hitting the road.....I would love an electric option to become available.  I currently drive a Chevy Volt and love electric drive.