Ehrenberg/Quartzite 2016/2017

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In many parts of the Southwest we get what are called dust devils. I really don't know if they get them there, but they are like mini tornados.

We've had 6 RTRs. The first 3 had horrible windstorms and some very cold weather come and go over the whole winter. The next two had great weather virtually the whole winter, warm, pleasant and just average wind. Last year was not as nice, but not a really bad one--kindof inbetween.

All that to say, anything is possible!!! Come prepared for great weather or horrible weather because you might get one, the other, or both.
Bob

akrvbob said:
All that to say, anything is possible!!! Come prepared for great weather or horrible weather because you might get one, the other, or both.
Bob

I'm definitely trying to do that with materials I have on hand and buying very little.  The costs to repair my van are going to leave me with little more than a small stash in case of breakdown, food and gas to get down there.  I was left with little choice and just found out about it a couple of days ago.  The proverbial rock in a hard place.  I have some other questions but will ask in the appropriate sections.

Suanne said:
Here is a link for last February.  The chart that shows wind speed is second from the bottom.  Wind direction is the last chart.  Hope that helps.

YES!  Very much so!  I saw the highest gust was in April at 51mph.  I'll try to engineer this thing(even though I failed math) to withstand 60mph gusts and hope for the best!

Hey Bob!  Hope all is going well.  So far, I plan on wintering in Ehrenberg again.  Maybe by mid to late October, there a bouts.  Long story short, I came to Ft. Smith this past April to be with my brother while he was pretty ill, too much to write.  He's doing better.  My phone pooped out on the way and I lost all my contacts, didn't have them written down.  The battery just stopped.  That'll teach me!   Anyway, so far so good.  If plans change at the spur of the moment due to unforeseen circumstances, at least I wanted to say 'hi' to all.  Arkansas has been lovely by the way.  I love all the greenery.  Ft. Smith is right next door to Oklahoma, and Siloam where the National Falls and more Forests are.  Other than that, I'm writing a book that I'm having the time of my life with.

Got to see the Ft. Smith Courthouse where True Grit was filmed along with the gallows.  Pretty awesome - not the gallows though.  Watched all the Harry Potter episodes with my brother about 4 times.  Another 'blast.'

That's about it for now Bob.   :)   "Hey" to the Bob Wells Van Dweller Posse.  "Hail."   :shy:

Headache said:
Okay important question:  I need to know about the wind in Ehrenberg and Quartzite.  Are we talking haboob level winds, gale force?  I survived an EF-3 tornado does that help?

The reason I'm asking is I'm making an awning/roof cover sort of thingamajig for an outdoor room outside of the van that will also be a room my little 4-leggeds can be in.  I guess it will be something similar to a screened room(without the screen).  I want to design it to stick around and not travel anywhere as well as stow quickly in case inclement weather sneaks up on me unawares.

As Bob has said,
the winds can be all over the place, the max I have seen is 50 mph (usually a gust,  not sustained), although 30 mph straight line winds happen from time to time.  (my wind charger works good then) the most common direction of the winds go from west to east. Sometimes the winds do not arrive until in the middle of the night. (ask me how I know  :D )
So you may want to setup with the extended room facing east.
I have seen these winds tear down tents.. And ruin awnings

I travel with 2 sometimes 3 dogs.  I use a fold up metal fence to keep the fur kids in,  and other potentially aggressive dogs out, there are many many dogs of all sizes and breeds there. Some on leashes many that are not.

Purchasing a fence can be costly, but, I would think that one could maybe find some steel fence (that can be re-purposed) and could be cut into panels and put together at camp.

Cheers
Kirk

gadgetMe said:
I travel with 2 sometimes 3 dogs.  I use a fold up metal fence to keep the fur kids in,  and other potentially aggressive dogs out, there are many many dogs of all sizes and breeds there. Some on leashes many that are not.

Purchasing a fence can be costly, but, I would think that one could maybe find some steel fence (that can be re-purposed) and could be cut into panels and put together at camp.

I have a frisky feline that will be with me too so whatever I use will also have a lid on it as well.  I have a small dog kennel here that works great but it's chain link so not very portable when it comes to desert camping.  Especially since I'll be using truck stop internet for awhile(Ehrenberg and Quartzite have a Flying J/Pilot) it will have to be easy to take down and stow rather frequently.

I'll probably build some kind of thing with panels made from 1x1s with mesh stapled to the bottom half and chicken wire on the top half, with all the panels bolting together in some way.  When I have to stow them I'll be able to slide them up the middle of the cargo area for local travel and on top for long distance travel.

Unless working my dog she will always be on leash.  The area isn't a fenced dog park and in cases of owners who do not have the respect of their dogs I don't want mine paying for that assumption.

I've been productive getting ready though!  New tires arrive Monday and Tuesday the ammo cans arrive that I'm making wood stoves out of!  I plan on leaving mid-November with camp stove and Coleman oven ready for some sweet potato pie goodness for Turkey Day in the desert!   :D

The date is set! I'm leaving on Dec. 5th with a stop in Cedar City at my favorite mechanic to look over the van and do some work, then AZ bound.

Just sent off my last Amazon order for pet food and a hitch carrier so I can store my kerosene heaters, kerosene and other light stuff on the back. The roof carrier will have to wait. I'll be getting a new windshield installed a few days before I leave.

I also bought a Verizon phone but couldn't afford the JetPack until next month. Unfortunately that means learning how to use it when I get down there but I'm fairly certain I'll be able to get some advice from someone down there. I can use the phone as a hot spot temporarily if I have to.

I'm tired but it's almost over!

Headache said:
I also bought a Verizon phone but couldn't afford the JetPack until next month.  Unfortunately that means learning how to use it when I get down there but I'm fairly certain I'll be able to get some advice from someone down there.  I can use the phone as a hot spot temporarily if I have to.

I never use anything BUT my phone with Verizon for Mobile Hotspot...why do you need a Jetpack as well. I'm using it now with my laptop!

When I found out that my Canadian Samsung S4 wouldn't work on Verizon network, it was mandatory that whatever phone I bought from Verizon worked as a Hotspot. I had the money in the budget for a Jetpack thinking I would need one so the money paid for the HTC phone I bought from them.

Headache said:
Cool, I will be your neighbor in a year or so. :)
[quote pid='216075' dateline='1470776295']
Hah! Where I'm buying my piece of dirt isn't far from Earthship Biotecture!  If you are on the west side of the river I'll be just outside of TP.   :D
[/quote]

All hotspots are just that,,,,a wi-fi hotspot.

They show up as another wi-fi network.

You select it and connect (with a password if you set it up with one,,,,please do!).

rvpopeye said:
All hotspots are just that,,,,a wi-fi hotspot.

They show up as another wi-fi network.

You select it and connect (with a password if you set it up with one,,,,please do!).

Oh yes, it was set up with a password...lol.

So why would you need a Jetpack if your phone can be used as a Mobile Hotspot...or do you!

I'm confused or maybe thinking I'm missing something here!...wouldn't be the first time.... :D

Ideally you shouldn't need both.

The ISP may prohibit that use .

Multiple device limits.

A hotspot on a different provider might be very useful.

I've got a Verizon and a sprint hot spot thingy. Yours for cheap if you're interested. Definitely don't need them with the phone. I only have them because they came with unlimited data. That didn't last long.

I'll be online for a good portion of the day so using a hot spot will not only extend the life of the phone battery, I'll also be able to get calls while online. Which also gives up the 2nd reason; the hotspot supports more devices. If I was going to use it for just checking emails, making a few posts or listening to music I'd use the phone, but since I'll utilize port forwarding, have large files to upload and get my education online I need a more expandable and useful connection.

Thanks Cyndi but I already had bought the phone and where I'll be I won't be able to get a 4g/equivalent signal from Sprint. Unless I read that wrong. If it's a Verizon hot spot I'm interested. Does it get 4g?

There are a few of us here and there in Ehrenberg and Quartzite. It's to hot here for me but the friends are worth staying for. This morning we invited some other crvl folks over for corn fritters sausage and coffee. They are about a mile away.We sat outside, talked and watched hummingbirds.

cyndi said:
I've got a Verizon and a sprint hot spot thingy. Yours for cheap if you're interested. Definitely don't need them with the phone. I only have them because they came with unlimited data. That didn't last long.

Hi Cyndi, 

I know out west the sprint signal is spotty.  Do you know how good it is in Quartzsite? I may be interested in the Sprint hot spot . Do you have to pay a monthly service fee through Sprint to use if?

Thanks, Caryn