Ehrenberg/Quartzite 2016/2017

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wagoneer said:
last year we had a nice little drum circle that some did not like( probably cause they were not drum friendly) that can change??

I don't remember a drum circle in 2016, being a problem. I do remember hearing about the one in 2015. That one began in the middle of the encampment. Many rise and go to bed early. Common courtesy is required. Once the drum circle moved further away from camp, there was no problem.

Wagoneer,

The same drumming tune going from sundown to 9pm every evening was a bit much to ask folks to tolerate in 2015. Nope, not a fan.

I missed the 2016 drum circle, didn't hear about it. Someone please let me know if we do one this year.

Having been a drummer boy for 40 years will welcome you with a big hug and smile as well as any others tambourine empty bottle or can it don't take a lot just some soul

akrvbob said:
It will be the kind that is far from camp.
Bob

Perhaps the same with the camp with the loud music and flashing lights all night?

Some people think it is Burning Man.   :s

The "Burning Van" at the main campfire was extremely entertaining.   :D

akrvbob said:
It will be the kind that is far from camp.
Bob

LOL, well that's not exactly what I was asking but humorous and definitely appreciated nonetheless.

I've been exposed to various types of drum circles but tend to stay away from any that resemble Native drums(unless Natives are actually on those drums) or they are doing 49s.  Those are too humorous to stay away from.

Otherwise I'm a very quiet camper and my little dog knows this too.  You won't hear much out of her either without my being on top of it.  I just adopted her a few months ago and she's one of the most insecure(yet insanely HAPPY) adult dogs I've ever encountered that wasn't aggressive in some way.  Working on her insecurities without crushing her infectious glee has been a test in patience and every canine training skill I've ever learned.  It's taken me just over 2 months just to get her to potty outside with a 95% success rate.  I'm also anal about carrying poop bags.  Bring it in and pack it out.  She's very socialized but I'm looking forward to working on her skills while other dogs and distractions are around. 

*IF* I have the room I'm making some small dog agility equipment to bring for some desert Olympics for her and other minuscule sized dogs to have some fun with.  No promises though.

Headache said:
*IF* I have the room I'm making some small dog agility equipment to bring for some desert Olympics for her and other minuscule sized dogs to have some fun with.  No promises though.

Thar sounds like great fun!! Love to see that!!
Bob

Sounds like a winner enigmatic video................

I worked with a Native American on the waterfront. He said as a rite of passage he had to kill a bear or mountain line with just a club.
I said darn that must have been hard. He said not really, there were 50 of us in the club and we all had rifles. (true story).

Maybe I should squeeze that in then eh?  This is my first small dog and it's been quite an adjustment.  She gets along very well with other dogs except when they try to get amorous with her.  She's not very appreciative then.

Is there a few small dogs at camp?  I've mostly seen larger dogs in the videos.  This is Lily or as I call her my stinky wiener when she doesn't get a bath.  She's not a fan of the camera.  She's not quite a miniature as far as weight, she's right on the cusp but slightly over on the standard size.  However, in true small dog fashion she shares the Napoleon complex and bigger dogs don't intimidate her.  Overall she's generally a social butterfly unlike the "why me" pose in this picture and she especially loves the menfolk.

That would be something to have a mini dog Olympics!  I know I laugh like crazy watching wiener dog races.  For her it's important to do good ground work to keep her spine and hips healthy and it will help me as well so it would be fun to have a group to walk with and work our dogs.

DannyB1954 said:
I worked with a Native American on the waterfront. He said as a rite of passage he had to kill a bear or mountain line with a club.
I said darn that must have been hard. He said not really, there were 50 of us in the club and we all had rifles.

Adults like to pretend too. Some pretend they are bikers, some Indians.

Indigenous humor, I love it!

Having lived in New England it was chock full of pretendians and culture vultures.  While it's fun to pretend to be things like a biker it can't be compared to marginalizing and making a caricature of cultures and people that still struggle to exist. Unfortunately even people of our cultures do it as well. Sad.

Lily the pirate dog aaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggh!

There will be little dogs and big dogs at the rtr headache. Lily will have some friends.

Attachments

• IMG_20160603_095137.jpg
    IMG_20160603_095137.jpg
    491.8 KB · Views: 44
Okay important question: I need to know about the wind in Ehrenberg and Quartzite. Are we talking haboob level winds, gale force? I survived an EF-3 tornado does that help?

The reason I'm asking is I'm making an awning/roof cover sort of thingamajig for an outdoor room outside of the van that will also be a room my little 4-leggeds can be in. I guess it will be something similar to a screened room(without the screen). I want to design it to stick around and not travel anywhere as well as stow quickly in case inclement weather sneaks up on me unawares.

The wind can go from calm to blowing your tables and chairs away in a few seconds. We heard a roaring sound while lounging outside in NM and were wondering where it came from. A minute later and everything that wasn't tied down went flying.

I like wunderground.com for my weather. It has an almanac for looking at weather history. When I put in either Quartzsite or Ehrenberg, it shows Blythe which is just across the Colorado from Ehrenberg. Here is a link for last February. The chart that shows wind speed is second from the bottom. Wind direction is the last chart. Hope that helps.

https://www.wunderground.com/histor...reqdb.zip=85346&reqdb.magic=1&reqdb.wmo=99999