Ehrenberg/Quartzite 2016/2017

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Caryn, it didn't work in Q, at all. Or any place else that I tried to connect. My understanding (now) is that Sprint is only good in major urban areas. The kind of places I avoid. I haven't turned it on since Jan/2015 so if their signal has improved, I wouldn't know.

Could anyone give me somewhat of an idea what to expect at the Erhenberg site? Do people want to hang out or be left alone? Would it be better to start at the RTR or at Erhenberg introducing oneself to the community? I can do either one, I have taken off December and can arrive early. But don't want to be bothersome or feel excluded or weird! Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks, Laura, a newbie.

I arrived early, like the 2nd week in December last year.

By the time the RTR actually started in January I had already formed some good friendships with some of the other early birds.

The actual RTR was so busy with seminars in both the morning and afternoon plus morning walk and evening campfires and other activities that I really feel I wouldn't have had the time to form those friendships had I started at the RTR itself.

Yes, I met a whole lot of additional people but the December time gave me a chance to meet a few at a time. The Xmas eve BYOB/appetizer party was large enough that I didn't even get to me everybody there. The RTR with over a hundred people...well months later I kept running into people who would call me by name and I'd have no clue who they were... :rolleyes:

As to other people, well some want to be left alone so they park way, way out. Others want to meet people and be sociable so they park closer to the crowd and get out and actually make friends.

Welcome to the forums Laura! I noticed on one of your other posts that you plan on tenting camping which is fine but you should be aware that the Erhenberg/Quartzsite area can be very windy. A small backpacker type tent will probably be okay but a large straight side tent could blow away or be destroyed.

Head to Almost There's camp in Erhenberg. She camps down by the river where it's not as barren and where you may find some vegetation to block the wind a bit. Plus she's super nice and will show you the ropes. :)

As far as Quartzsite is concerned, yes, there are a lot of people but don't be afraid to walk up to any group or individual and introduce yourself. You will be welcomed but chances are you'll have to introduce yourself multiple times because there are just too many people to keep track of everyone's name. We always get to know the people who are camped close to us the best but have found other kindred souls as we wandered around the camp area.

Name tags? They work real well at Escapees gatherings. I know , tacky but..........

rvpopeye said:
Name tags?  They work real well at Escapees gatherings. I know , tacky but..........

Sometimes you do not want people to know who you are.

kundrup said:
Could anyone give me somewhat of an idea what to expect at the Erhenberg site? Do people want to hang out or be left alone? Would it be better to start at the RTR or at Erhenberg introducing oneself to the community? I can do either one, I have taken off December and can arrive early. But don't want to be bothersome or feel excluded or weird! Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks, Laura, a newbie.

There is a lot of open space in the upland BLM camping area.  It is worthwhile to walk around and say hello to meet people. 

[video=youtube]

This video starts at the Flying J at Exit 1, with a right turn out of the parking lot.

One of the good things about being a 'ginger' everyone KNOWS your name is 'red'
for some reason when I responded to 'hey red' with 'yo blonde' once, the blonde found it insulting

Got Smart
I guess you could put a different name on it , Maxwell Smart ????