Ehrenberg/Quartzite 2016/2017

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Headache said:
Hah! Where I'm buying my piece of dirt isn't far from Earthship Biotecture!  If you are on the west side of the river I'll be just outside of TP.   :D

Down by silver city ? been up to where u are saying though see u in Edinburgh Quartsite

Headache said:
Hey everyone!  My "goal" for this fall/winter is to spend it in Quartzite.  I have tentative plans of being there sometime in November and staying until April.  
Welcome to vandweling.
Last year was my first RTR and it was well worth the risk. What I mean is, it is hard to approach a group cold, without knowing someone on the inside to guide you in.
Last year I rolled up as they were serving Thanksgiving dinner. Not knowing anyone other than from this forum I parked my van, walked up, took a plate and had a great time.

So i got there in November and left around February. As you said you also plan to stay a good bit.
Forget the LTVA. Why enter an outlaw lifestyle like vandwelling by asking the local government permission to stay. Then conforming your rig to meet there specifications? And parking exactly where they say you can park!
As all the people you want to meet are outside the fence, not inside with you.
??

You will quickly get to know Ehrenberg buy the river and Quartzite.

Your rig can be as simple as an old cargo van with a cushion in the back to sleep on. Actually mine is not much more than that. And I have been full time about a year or so. Working and camping.

As for toilets you can spend money if you like....or As i did. Buy a box of 13gal(49.2l) tall kitchen bags and some Huggies wipes. If you like PM me for more detailed instructions. :)
As I understand it, many prefer a 5gal bucket and a bag of Kitty litter.

Something I learned rather abruptly. The RTR bunch are very welcoming and helpful.
  *** However it is necessary to be outgoing if you want to actually meet people and make friends.***
This fact is obvious to most but to me, was a steep learning curve.

After the Thanksgiving dinner I sat outside my van and watched people walk buy for more than a week and not one was interested in anything more than, wave and walk away.
I then started walking the road also. I then met people that talked for a minute or two then walked there way.

?... Not exactly the kind of... "Welcome to vandwelling" reception I was hopping for.

Its not there fault!!! My expectations were far to high.
So as you go to your first RTR. Here are a few things to conceder.

1/ JUST DO IT!!
2/ Don't over think it. Just do it
3/ Don't expect anyone to understand your need for comradery. Give it time and you will meet some awesome people.
4/ your rig can and SHOULD be very simple at first. Living with simplicity is one of the secrets to enjoying fulltime vandwelling.

Jim you were at RTR? I was looking for you and your elk steaks. I must have missed you are you going to be there this year? hope to cross paths. highdesertranger

Some of us say hi to everyone that walks by and some of us are not mobile enough to do much wandering and visiting

I am ready to put on a nametag.  (Or wear a picture of my cat!)  I am terrible with names!

Hi Jim!

It was my assumption that people were staying in the LTVA area, not that I "wanted" to be there.  I want to be where other van dwellers are.  That being said, having been exposed to housetrucks in the 70s and various relatives that lived in their vehicles(including myself) from time to time I never looked at it as being "outlaw" even though some towns have tried to tell me otherwise.  We were living within our means.  I have a cheat though; if I'm caught sleeping somewhere I claim fatigue and that I'm on my way to pick up a truck.  The police see I have a CDL and don't question it.  A few times I was invited to stay in their parking lot.  Laws are one thing, forcing a fatigued driver to drive is another.  I just make sure to leave town!

I'm a 5 gal bucket and cat litter gal myself.

I won't be expecting anything regarding being social.  I tend to isolate by choice quite often but I'm not anti-social.  I have PTSD and feel quite awkward around others.  I'm different in that just being around people gives me that people fix I need.

However, when it comes to talking about stuff I want to learn about especially if it's about solar I may not shut up!

I do have a "ringer" that will keep me social though...I have a small wiener dog that is a social butterfly! She forces me to go around people so she can soak up all that love!

GotSmart said:
I am ready to put on a nametag.  (Or wear a picture of my cat!)  I am terrible with names!

If there is one person I definitely want to talk off their ear it's YOU!  I am so envious of the electrical you have done to your van!  I have shaved my list of "must haves" down to the freezer, my PC and laptop, an LED magnifying lamp and keeping phones and tool batteries charged.

When will you be out west?

There are plenty of members here that I look up to.  Being color blind, my wiring would drive an electrician batty.   :blush:  I have wired many houses properly, but that was basic roll romex.  My van wires are set up so it is basically bullet proof.  I just used colors that I can see. Stearnwake is the true wire guru here...  :D

I hope to make RTR.  Right now I need to recover my emergency fund, and get my health in better shape.  I want to leave right after Christmas, as I am currently living with two of my adult daughters. I am te cook for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Jim Plow said:
Welcome to vandweling.

Its not there fault!!! My expectations were far to high.
So as you go to your first RTR. Here are a few things to consider.

1/ JUST DO IT!!
2/ Don't over think it. Just do it
3/ Don't expect anyone to understand your need for camaraderie. Give it time and you will meet some awesome people.
4/ your rig can and SHOULD be very simple at first. Living with simplicity is one of the secrets to enjoying fulltime vandwelling.
Yeahhh, Hi Jim!!

A bunch of us have been wondering where you wandered off to!!

(It's Beth btw in case you can't put handle and name together.... :D )

Jim is right BTW, if you sit way over there by yourself, you're not going to meet anyone. We all try to respect each others right to privacy! On the other hand, if you wander within 25' of any of us, you're most likely going to get invited to sit down a spell. Maybe even handed a cold beverage unless you look terribly unfriendly... :D

I'm different in that just being around people gives me that people fix I need.

Well, not that different, I'm the same way, some folks think I'm weird because of it having to be self reliant at a very early age i think made me that way

Almost There said:
Jim is right BTW, if you sit way over there by yourself, you're not going to meet anyone. We all try to respect each others right to privacy! On the other hand, if you wander within 25' of any of us, you're most likely going to get invited to sit down a spell. Maybe even handed a cold beverage unless you look terribly unfriendly... :D

I will most certainly be doing a fair bit of walking!  Just from working on the inside of the van it's going to be a test of wills to live in something I can't stand up in for 7-9 months!

I'll be off a courteous distance to run a generator and for my cat's safety.  I'm bringing a "petio" with me so that she can enjoy being outside and keep potential predators and overly exuberant canines a safe distance from her claws.  Not that pet people aren't invited over!  My dog LOVES others and is very socialized and my cat is used to dogs but isn't very kind towards overly insecure or dominant pets.  It would be nice to have an opportunity to socialize her a bit.

My next project for staying there has been added to the list!  I was given satellite dish to make a solar cooker out of!

When do people usually start showing up and what are y'alls ETA's(days, weeks, month) that you will be there if you are going?  Right now mine is sometime in November.  What will/can throw that off is I'll be in New Mexico to have some electrical done to the van sometime around the first week of November then a few days at my brothers after that.

Unless Stearnwake(it appears someone is in to boating) is going to be there...

What is the pow wow circuit?
If I may?

Jim Plow said:
Last year was my first RTR and it was well worth the risk. What I mean is, it is hard to approach a group cold, without knowing someone on the inside to guide you in.
Last year I rolled up as they were serving Thanksgiving dinner. Not knowing anyone other than from this forum I parked my van, walked up, took a plate and had a great time.

Hi Jim,I was also there this last January and since i\'m a bit of an introvert, had some trouble mixing with others. Purely my fault though, everyone there is very nice. Being an extremely private person, it

last year we had a nice little drum circle that some did not like( probably cause they were not drum friendly) that can change??