Ehrenberg/Quartzite 2016/2017

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Headache

Reaction score
Hey everyone!  My "goal" for this fall/winter is to spend it in Quartzite.  I have tentative plans of being there sometime in November and staying until April.  I've poured over Bob's videos and posts(or at least as many as I could find using the search feature, which only shows one at a time if it's his blog) and I have some other questions:

I'm assuming I'll need to purchase the long term camping pass.  Can that be bought onsite or do I have to go to Yuma?

Anyone else staying about that stretch of time?

Do you get to camp around the RTR spot for the whole time or is there still a requirement to move?

How far away are the dumpsters and potable water from the gathering spot/s?

I'll be running a generator at times, how far away would I need to park for a polite distance?

I'd like to be around for Turkey Day.  I'm tired of spending them alone.  Are T Day gatherings open for new people and if so what can I bring to contribute?  If I have a decent genny some nice sweet potato pies might find their way there.

Is the weather decent enough for the most part to make using an outdoor shower on a fairly regular basis(once a week?) plausible or would it be a test of wills?  I don't need 90 degrees to take a shower but the lower 60s and below would make me start considering indoors and as you know, space will be tight in a standard size van.

How strong does the wind get?  I'm going to have a pet kennel under a canopy(instead of an awning) I'm creating out of an old billboard vinyl so the 3 of us have some stretch and stand up space.  I think something like that would stand up to some pretty strong wind.

For those who have been there how good have your cell/hotspot signals been?  I've been perusing the 3g and Verizon threads.  Right now I have a Consumer Cellular smart phone with an AT&T sim card.  I'm a data hog(60-80mb possible) so I'll need to switch data to another carrier.

If others are considering going and there isn't a thread for it feel free to post your questions as well.  I did see/couldn't find a thread dedicated to questions about this but maybe the search function doesn't like me.

I start working on my van for the trip next month!

hi headache, let me try.

1. if you plan to stay put in one place you need to be in one of the LTVA's(long term visitor area) and yes you need a permit. you can get them on site.
2. a lot of the tribe is in the area during that time.
3. where the RTR is it is not an LTVA. there is one close by. where the RTR is it's a 2 week max stay in one location then you must move. many just keep moving every 2 weeks to avoid having to pay.
4. the dump is just north of town. you can get water at the RV stop(?) in town for a reasonable price. you can get propane and there is a dump station there also.
5. as far as the genny it depends on how loud it is. if you only run during the day it's not a problem.
6. there is usually a turkey day and new years get together.
7. the weather in the desert that time of year is highly variable. could be 75 and sunny one day and the next day could be low 40's and raining. last year we got a fair amount of rain the first few days, then it cleared up and was nice. it's usually windy no matter the temp.
8. I have Verizon and have good service there. I believe ATT also had good service.
hope this helps. highdesertranger

Headache, great idea, I am figuring out where to put myself this winter also:) this could be a good option for part of the time. I will follow along here. I have done majority of holidays in recent years alone too, all bobs tribal talk has gotten through and time to end my self imposed isolation, turkey day with others would be nice. Thanks!

Rather than gather at Quartzite where one has to obey the 2 week move rule, most of the odds and ends of us end up down near Ehrenberg instead.

Little to no ranger checks, showers can be had at the laundromat (last year was 10 tickets for $36. which could be shared), good shopping across the state line in Blythe, dump station at the laundromat, garbage bin there too and free water.

I found the desert around Ehrenberg to be  more than a little dismal so a bunch of us ended up camped down on the banks of the Colorado river before and after the RTR.

Also, it should be noted that there are some rules at the LTVA's, particularly in regards to holding tanks that if you're in a van, you might not be able to meet. A LTVA winter pass is good at all the LTVA's as long as you meet the regs, otherwise you're only allowed at the LTVAs where you do meet the specifications.

Does anyone know how much the pass costs?

I've never stayed at an LTVA, but I found information about the LaPosa LTVA Campground in Quartzsite here -- http://www.blm.gov/az/st/en/prog/recreation/camping/LTVA/laposa.html.

Here is what it says about cost: A Long Term Visitor Area Permit is required from September 15th through April 15th each season. The cost is $180.00 and is valid for up to 7 months. A Short Term Permit can be purchased for a 14-day stay. This permit is $40.00. Permits may be purchased on site or at the BLM Yuma Field Office.

If having water, a bathroom and trash bin close by isn't that important to you, or you just want to be closer to the vandwelling community, you may want to consider dispersed camping with some of the tribe on free BLM land in Quartzsite and/or Ehrenberg. If so, you would just need to go into town to dump your trash, take showers, get water, etc.

Thanks hdr!  Of course I have some new questions/comment!

1. No actual plans as of yet.  Since it will be my first time the only real plan I had besides showing up was to play sheep and learn from the "pros".  I've vehicle camped many times when I was on the powwow circuit but actually living in a van for months at a time is an entirely different thing.  I hope the long winter people find this thread!
2. Do they make themselves known?  That's part of the reason for my thread, to find out who will end up there as well as those that don't mind a tagalong.  I don't have to be on top of people but nearby is nice.
3. Ah okay.  I was assuming it was.  I did find this:  http://www.blm.gov/az/st/en/prog/recreation/camping/LTVA/laposa.html
4. I didn't think of that as far as town since I was assuming this was at La Posa and they have toilets, garbage and potable water.  Good to know.
5. I haven't bought one yet as my electrician hasn't gotten back with me but our initial assumption is that I won't have to run it more than a few hours a day.
6. Great!  It will be nice to spend it with others.  Christmas too.
7. Sounds like I'll be okay for the outdoor shower and maybe a blow dry too!  How bad does the wind get?
8. Oh good because it will be frustrating enough taking classes and the other things I do.  I'm spoiled on fast cable internet but it will be nice to cut the cord.  I'll have to check out that 3g again.

Yogidog said:
I have done majority of holidays in recent years alone too, all bobs tribal talk has gotten through and time to end my self imposed isolation, turkey day with others would be nice. Thanks!

Sounds like maybe this would be a good option!  I'm doing it for as long as I am because I'm saving up the $1800 I need to put down on and close on a piece of dirt I can use as a home base and live in an RV fulltime if I want.  I can build a house too.  I want a home base so I can travel and then have a place to park when I want to sit still awhile.

I hope more people staying there chime in on this thread!

Almost There said:
...most of the odds and ends of us end up down near Ehrenberg instead.

Little to no ranger checks, showers can be had at the laundromat (last year was 10 tickets for $36. which could be shared), good shopping across the state line in Blythe, dump station at the laundromat, garbage bin there too and free water.

Also, it should be noted that there are some rules at the LTVA's, particularly in regards to holding tanks that if you're in a van...

Thanks!  Maybe I'll go between Ehrenberg and Quartzite.  I like the shower, laundry, water and shopping options you bring up!

As far as the LTVA I am considering I'd only need a minimum 10 gallon permanently installed holding tank unless I was parked withing 500 feet of the toilets which I assume will be long gone by the time I get there.  The tank is something I could easily do since I'm moving my spare tire to the door and that space underneath would hold a 20 gallon tank.

Pages 4 and 5:

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2007-09-25/pdf/E7-18896.pdf

Here's one of Bob's posts about Ehrenberg.    http://www.cheaprvliving.com/boondo...g-in-ehrenberg-2015-living-in-a-van-off-grid/         This is where the Thanksgiving dinner is held. Any food that you bring to a RTR gathering is greatly appreciated. I've never seen anything not get eaten! :-D

We haven't stayed very long at Ehrenberg. Like Almost There we find it a little too bleak and barren. The gathering at Ehrenberg is less social and more spread out than the RTR so you may have to seek people out. Not that the RTR is crowded but it's very easy to join in around a campfire or just start a conversation with someone as you're walking around the camp area. But it's also easy to get off by yourself if you need some quiet time.  Looking forward to meeting you!

Read through the supplemental rules before you buy a LTVA pass -  https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2007-09-25/pdf/E7-18896.pdf

Section 17. Self-Contained Vehicles
a. In Pilot Knob, Midland, Tamarisk,
and Hot Springs LTVAs, you may camp
only in self-contained camping units.
The La Posa, Imperial Dam, and Mule
Mountain LTVAs are restricted to self-
contained camping units, except within
500 feet of a vault or restroom.
b. Self-contained camping units must
have a permanent, affixed waste water
holding tank of 10-gallon minimum
capacity. The BLM does not consider
port-a-potty systems, systems that
utilize portable holding tanks, or
permanent holding tanks of less than
10-gallon capacity, to be self-contained.

Thanks for the link to Bob's Ehrenberg post!  Looks like that's where I'll be going!

I posted the link to the supplemental rules and mentioned the min 10 gallon tank in my post above yours.

Would a moderator please change the title of my thread to "Ehrenberg/Quartzite 2016/2017"? Thank you!

We've had Thanksgiving group meals the last four years in a row and it's pretty likely we will again this year. However that is not a certainty this year. As of now I am tentatively planning on being with my Mom at Thanksgiving so that does reduce the chances quite a bit, but if any others are determined to make it happen you can. James should be there and he will head it up I think. One of the guys who made one of the turkeys the last two years may not be there and without me or him the odds go down tremendously.

It takes some practice to feed 40 people in the desert and we have gotten pretty good at it!! But even without us you could easily put together a pot luck meal instead.
Bob

This being my 4th RTR and the last one quite a few washes over from the main group. Not anti social but it was fairly dense. It feels like we will be expecting a bumper crop this coming January. Spending the holidays with family this year so hightailing it after New Year is the plan a layover at JT and
rolling in the next morning. Cool mornings so be comfortable clothing wise. It is common practice to sign in with the "Hosts" as you pull in if the flag is up. Nice people by the way. No water no trash bins but every year someone will volunteer a trash run in a small pickup. Buy as much as you can in larger cities but much is available in town about a 6 mile walk or drive. Rangers will drive through and look at dates on permits. 14 days be wise and self sufficient, be smart and friendly you will have a great time and learn plenty.

Headache said:
Sounds like maybe this would be a good option!  I'm doing it for as long as I am because I'm saving up the $1800 I need to put down on and close on a piece of dirt I can use as a home base and live in an RV fulltime if I want.  I can build a house too.  I want a home base so I can travel and then have a place to park when I want to sit still awhile.

I hope more people staying there chime in on this thread!

Thanks for asking these questions:) I am in for part of the time, high priority meeting like minded people, like yourself :) I just saved about that amount of money in the three months I did this, every time it got hard I remembered the money piling up:).  Excellent on the home base, ideal situation, I built an Earthship in New Mexico, really cheap and beautiful.  Hope to see u in few months

akrvbob said:
We've had Thanksgiving group meals the last four years in a row and it's pretty likely we will again this year. However that is not a certainty this year. As of now I am tentatively planning on being with my Mom at Thanksgiving so that does reduce the chances quite a bit, but if any others are determined to make it happen you can. James should be there and he will head it up I think. One of the guys who made one of the turkeys the last two years may not be there and without me or him the odds go down tremendously.

It takes some practice to feed 40 people in the desert and we have gotten pretty good at it!! But even without us you could easily put together a pot luck meal instead.
Bob

And you could always provide friendly advice from mom's!  There is always Christmas and New Years.

I've smoked stuffed turkeys in my old smoker grill before but I no longer have a grill nor the room to haul one.  My toaster oven is big enough for a pie.  I'm sure we could pull something off.

I don't know exactly when I will be there.  I'll be stopping at a friend's house in New Mexico for a few days max to have the electrical work I need done then a day or 3 at my brother's for a visit while I get everything insulated, sealed up and everything secured.  Then I'll be on my way!  I know I'm staying out in AZ until April providing nothing expensive happens.

Yogidog said:
Thanks for asking these questions:) I am in for part of the time, high priority meeting like minded people, like yourself :) I just saved about that amount of money in the three months I did this, every time it got hard I remembered the money piling up:).  Excellent on the home base, ideal situation, I built an Earthship in New Mexico, really cheap and beautiful.  Hope to see u in few months

Hah! Where I'm buying my piece of dirt isn't far from Earthship Biotecture!  If you are on the west side of the river I'll be just outside of TP.   :D

Only if there is a line.  about !5 mins

Thank you for all of the information.

Headache said:
I forgot to ask; about the showers in Ehrenberg, how are they?  Is there a time limit?

As Got Smart said ' only if there's a line up'.... :D

The laundromat in Quartzite has 11 showers but has a person on the desk controlling things so they set a 20 minute time limit for each customer and tend to enforce it if they've got customers waiting. OTOH they also clean the shower between customers and provide A (1) towel. Cost there last year was $7.00 a shower.

The laundromat in Ehrenberg OTOH has 2 shower stalls, doesn't enforce a time limit, is much cheaper if you pre-buy tickets and doesn't clean the shower between customers. We are, however, generally considerate of our fellow showerers and try to hurry a bit if you know someone is waiting in line and we all seem to try to keep it tidy.

I used a combination of my solar spray shower and heading in to town for showers which worked for me.