Earlier BLM enforcement in Quartzsite [split from 2017 RTR in Quartzsite]

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

judyg

Reaction score
I have been in Quartzsite for a few days. The Camp Host for the area where RTR 's are held is On Duty and had the US flag up today indicating he was open for business. I stopped in. Mike told me that Ranger Jim will be in Quartzsite the first week of Nov....making his rounds & enforcing the 14 day stay limit.
The Camp Host sign said you are allowed to stay 14 days in a 28 day period. As interpreted to me by the host, that means you can stay 2 wks then be 25 miles away for 2 weeks.
Looks like being in Q. for the entire month of Nov is a thing of the past.

judyg said:
I have been in Quartzsite for a few days.  The Camp Host for the area where  RTR 's are held is On Duty and had the US flag up today indicating he was open for business.  I stopped in.  Mike told me that Ranger Jim will be in Quartzsite the first week of Nov....making his rounds & enforcing the 14 day stay limit.
The Camp Host sign said you are allowed to stay 14 days in a 28 day period.  As interpreted to me by the host, that means you can stay 2 wks then be 25 miles away for 2 weeks.  
Looks like being in Q. for the entire month of Nov is a thing of the past.

Quartzite is one of the LTVAs (long term visitor areas). Here's how that works:

"FEES / PERMITS REQUIRED:  A Long Term Visitor Area Permit is required from September 15th through April 15th each season. The cost is $180.00 and is valid for up to 7 months. A Short Term Permit can be purchased for a 14-day stay. This permit is $40.00. Permits may be purchased on site or at the BLM Yuma Field Office.

"From April 16th through September 14th, the fee is $10 per vehicle for day-use, $15 per vehicle for overnight use, or $75 annually per vehicle, for up to 5 people per vehicle. There will be a $1 per person fee charged for each person over the 5 person limit. The maximum stay is 14 days in a 28-day period. Visitors must pay daily fees or purchase annual permits at the La Posa South Contact Station or at the BLM Yuma Field Office."

Full info http://www.blm.gov/az/st/en/prog/recreation/camping/LTVA/laposa.html

a heads up, the fee area is not all of Quartzsite, in fact it's a relatively small area. there is plenty of free camping in the area and where the RTR is. there is a 14 day limit in the free area. highdesertranger

judyg said:
... Mike told me that Ranger Jim will be in Quartzsite the first week of Nov....making his rounds & enforcing the 14 day stay limit...Looks like being in Q. for the entire month of Nov is a thing of the past.

Thanks for the heads-up Judy.  I wonder why they are enforcing the 14-day rule (for free dispersed camping) a month earlier this year.  Have you heard about any enforcement changes affecting BLM land in the Ehrenberg area?

Good to hear you are back in the desert SW.  Hope to see you in a few months.  In the meantime, take good care!

Suanne

Suanne, I actually remember Rangers coming around mid Nov-ish last year when we were camped across that little wash & lots of folks were gathering in before Thanksgiving. There had not been a Camp Host on duty then. The Rangers came & issued permits. My wild guess is that it's now on their radar to look for a large influx of campers in Nov. who tend to flaunt the 14 day rule.
I'll see what I can find out about Ehrenberg.

Why don't cha-all go to America Girl Mine ???? just remember to bring lots of water

WheelEstate USA said:
Looks like they're gonna be on us like white on rice...time to get creative  ;)

I like brown rice.   :p

you no what so do I. I also like yellow rice and wild rice. you know what I just like rice, period. highdesertranger

Does anyone personally know if the federal "Access" pass is good for the free day use rates and 1/2 price camping fees on the BLM  where it charges these fees?  There are so many "there fores and where with's" it's like reading a legal contract to me.  I AM CORNFUSED OFTEN   :D

Jewellann

Jewellann, this is one case where the Access Pass is NOT good for free day use and half rate camping. There are many other BLM areas outside of the long and short term areas in Arizona and California that are completely free. You can stay all winter for free but you may have to move every two weeks to keep legal.

Suanne, in regard to any changes in enforcement in Ehrenberg: I drove through that area this morning. There is a high top van camped on the left just before the Y and a class C with a cargo trailer on the right soon after you get up the hill. I recognize these rigs as being folks who stay a good while. That's the best I can come up with right now. Unable to make contact with the lady that I emailed you about.

Hi Judy! I emailed you a couple of times over the summer, in case you made the trip to MA to see the grand kids.

Thought, too, we might catch up on our westward travels. You earlier than I have been able to. My departure date keeps moving.

Hope to see you out there!

Still haven't had any tendonitis in the shoulder since your magic touch.

Looks like the RTR needs 2 camps 25 miles apart. It would be interesting to name them. Laurel and Hardy, Cheech and Chong, Abbot and Costello.
If I brought the van, it would not qualify for the Long Term Area, (no 10 gallon permanent holding tank).

they do not have to be 25 miles apart, they can be right next to each other. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
they do not have to be 25 miles apart,  they can be right next to each other.  highdesertranger

Post #1 led me to believe there was a 25 mile rule.

you have to move 25 miles away after 14 days. I believe that is what you are referring to Danny. highdesertranger

How do they know you even moved 2 miles away when there are thousands of campers out there...

OK I am confused. I wrote that maybe RTR should have two camps that are 25 miles apart. My thinking is move everybody after 14 days to the second camp. You wrote that they could be next to each other.
Maybe a survey should be done to see how many will be attending. Having another 75 person rule enforced might be a hassle. If 150 were coming, there could be 75 at each camp, then switch places.