Earlier BLM enforcement in Quartzsite [split from 2017 RTR in Quartzsite]

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ZoNiE said:
How do they know you even moved 2 miles away when there are thousands of campers out there...

You are required to get a permit for the 14 day stay, ( I think it is free). On this permit will be your name and location. So they come back and the date on your permit is over 14 days old, and you are not 25 miles from that location, they gotcha.

On a personal note I do not like to cross the laws, it does seem we will have a "bumper crop" this year It would behoove us to set some basic set of what if's and backup plans, perhaps get the opinion of an Arizona Ranger as to not create unintended incidents. Is it just me am I being unnecessarily paranoid??

I will be perfectly happy to camp well away from the "inner circle" so that the newbie first timers can get a first hand experience concerning the main fire and rap sessions.

I would say the epicenter is the area where the "lectures" are held and in close proximity to the communal fire pit I have seen camps as close as 50-100 feet

Jim, the camp is spread out in a pretty big way. There are saller camps within the larger camp.

This video shows a little of the camp, as he drives though. Skip to 4:24

some areas the campers park close to each other like within 20 feet. but everyone else is spread out with lots of space between them. the high density area is around the camp fire pit, the further away you get from the fire pit the more spread out everyone is. some people are way out all by themselves. I am just guessing but some people are 1/2 mile out from the fire pit. highdesertranger

jimindenver said:
How close do people park close in?

Last year Cindy was about 50 yards from the fire pit / main gathering center.  Far enough away to have privacy, but close enough for all the action.  Nobody is parked in military formation.  Elbow room is the key.  You find a spot with a view, and you are home.

This was taken during the Chili feed.

Attachments

• rtr chili 2.jpg
    rtr chili 2.jpg
    593.8 KB · Views: 33
While the BLM areas close to Quartzsite require registration, most BLM land doesn't so they can't tell how far you moved as long as you move away from the immediate Q area. The only other free area you have to register at I know of is south of Why, AZ.