RTR 2018 Delegate task.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GEAUX- PRIUS Cowboy

Geauxfrugal
Reaction score
RTR 2017 was a good event and not many hitches to it. Growth is to be expected and a tad bit of forethought might help in the logistics of the event. 

For instance now would be a good time to make some signs do them good enough they can be reused each year. Signs labeled MUSICIAN WASH, Brief description of the hopeful rules. RTR WASH where you have the main camp fire and the bulletin board. BACK2 SKOOL spot for the skoolies. 4 ON THE FLOOR WASH for for folks that do it in their cars. COMBO WASH a space that has more room for combination rigs that tow a trailer. This space would be best to keep a turn around open in the back so folks could drive through and hit the end and not have to back out should this wash fill up.

You may have heard it said that they were boat rockers but they did not want anybody rocking the boat? "Jerry Clower late comedian." Well it is true there are things that are best done in this group but not so much in that group.  For instance have a wash that could be designated day sleepers or night crawlers. Some of us are just nocturnal. Have another area for the folks that wish to be in the quiet. 

Maybe an area for low light only STAR LIGHT WASH some folks like to star gaze and headlights might interfere with that activity. 

ANY IDEAS? I know when I first arrived it was 0200 I was lucky a very nice veteran had me follow him all the way to the main fire. He was from WY and did not sleep so well each night so he would go for a ride. I tried to enter the location into my GPS but some reason it was not allowing the entry .

My plan ? I will bring 4 GPS this time 3 automotive and one hand held that is good for giving GPS locations in numbers. I plan this right I can have GARMIN, TOM TOM , MIO, all tested to see if they give the same results. When a sign is placed it can have GPS position given. Too bad this entire area is not on a grid system? It is but you have to get the ARIZONA map I think Thomas guide or DELORME makes them and it has every inch of the state in it. If that were done folks could find a spot and just remember their grid and share it with friends. I did not stay in any one spot since I did not set camp. I used my car as my get around ride and I don't do as much walking since that ground out there is just so full of rocks. 

The Ranger was not exactly easy to find at night either I guess that is good too but that could be a good baseline for where to set a pocket GPS as a way point. That way you will know where you are in relation to that point radius. That or pick a spot that is dead center of the RTR this way people can camp out from that point and again if they have a pocket gps that way point can be set. Perfect conditions you would say how could anybody ever get lost here. But there are times when it rains and you can get misplaced should you get in the rain?

Once all the areas have been classified then place numbers on each sign so folks can say oh wash 2 or 5 that way there will be a tad bit of order to it all. 

One thing I did around my camp was picked up rocks that could stumble people. You are not going to get them all but you could get the ankle benders out the way. I heard report of more than one person taking a dive due to rocks. HELPS TO BRING WALKING POLES OR CANE HEAD LAMP TOO ! Does not mean you are cripple but it does mean you might have what you need to keep yourself walking upright. IDK about you but if I were walking and came upon a coyote I would rather have a cane in my hand than nothing?

Great ideas, GPC.

I didn't attend last years RTR but have attended all but one prior to that.

Herding cats comes to mind

I'm looking forward to my first RTR...I've never been.

Your plan sounds workable but I also think that it might cause some segregation, good or bad, and some people in different types of vehicles will surely want to camp close together.

Check out the what3words system, works in offline mode via Navmii or Pocket Earth.

These are all well intentioned suggestions. I'll also say that I'm of the opinion that "informal" is best, and free events such as the RTR ought to have few rules.

The GPS coordinates posted are not perfectly accurate to the site. Follow the written instructions and you'll get there.

I'm inclined to agree with TMG51 - informal and few rules.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to camp with like minded people, in fact, sometimes it's very desirable ( thinking of loud music or noisy generators :p ) but dividing the camp into sections will tend to isolate some people and cut down on the mingling of people with different vehicles, attitudes, and van living styles. One thing I love about attending the RTRs is that we get to meet so many people who don't live exactly like we do, people who have different and interesting outlooks, who travel to different places, who are doing this for different reasons. I've watched friendships develop between people who would never have met each other if they had been living a conventional life let alone become lifelong friends. I hope the RTR never becomes so big that separate camps with little intermingling is the only way to manage it.

Having said all of that, GPS coordinates of a limited number of camps would be helpful.

I have to agree with the consensus here. We are people who want to avoid rules so the fewer the better. The point of a tribe is to bring people together, not separate them so right now my plan is that there will only be two camps noisy and quiet.

tx2sturgis said:

Segregation for specific reasons reduces conflict. Not strict segregation just for the time where it is important. Light sound these levels should be controlled in some cases in that some are less tolerant of noise past a time say 11:00 . Some of us are naturally night crawlers and others are up first light. I know I tend to creep out of camp go to the C store enjoy my coffee and a cigar then I like to start my walk as the sun is just coming up. Then you know I hit the head and off to breakfast. I return to camp usually around 9 by then they are just starting hobo classes.

Cowboy

I have spent the last 30 years putting my rig/tent/trailer so far out there that I modified this one to go where few dare to tread. I like it quiet, dark and private so being in the RTR camp was uncomfortable for me to the point that I lasted 8 hours before packing up and moving to a quieter spot. Like me I think people will gravitate to where they are comfortable without the need of a lot of designations and rules.

I whole-heartedly agree with Jimindenver, I will probably be running my generator so it's best I am away from neighbors.

Other philosophical differences will keep me away from the main crowd although I plan to meet as many members as possible.

sephson said:
I believe that's already a topic of discussion in a different thread. :angel:

https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-You-Ain-t-Right-Club?page=50

Thanks for the smile I was feeling like the red headed step child for a while there. I am not trying to make rules trying to offer up a way to 1 find the campfire and 2 how people can say I am at C7. Then you look at the map and see you get to C 7 by taking road 3 N. Dust is stomped off my feet I am about face pearls are in the bag.

while I am pretty much against rules. one rule I would like to see is, the speed limit is no dust. if you are making dust you are driving to fast. some people drive way to fast through a very crowded camp. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:

Yes truckers learn early on you kick up dust they will call in on you. Some don't care if they call in on them but me I rather not tick them off. I have to say that it is difficult to get folks to comply with that one. Guess it is like the surf on the beach you kind of have to expect it to be getting on your car. Exactly why I did not go back to the TCF travelers camp fest Corpus Christi Tx. I would go get a good shower return to camp and be just as dirty when I left. I like the proximity of the camp from the PLNT I could pop in there get a shower go to sams snag some groceries return to camp and enjoy a little campfire. Getting late I have to go grocery goodnight folks.

I would like to add the only reason for a rule like the no dust is because of inconsiderate people. it is only a small minority of the 5-600 people that where there last year. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
I thought the low dust was implied but then again people litter right? All I was hoping to do was make it easier for folks to explain where they were camped if folks wanted to look them up , They had a lot of folks trying to sell things and it was pitiful to hear them try and explain where they were to somebody that could not understand where they were ? Delorme Arizona book probably would clear most of that up. Grid that up and you have problem solved. Why that book ? Because you have a baseline everybody can agree on. I am truly out got to go get things and I don't want to deal with a bunch of drunks July 3 is drunk city anyplace you are.

GEAUX- PRIUS Cowboy said:
a way to 1 find the campfire and 2 how people can say I am at C7. Then you look at the map and see you get to C 7 by taking road 3 N.
Really, people should check out the what3words system, any old smartphone, not even a need for a data connection once an area is downloaded, works in offline mode via apps Navmii or Pocket Earth.

GEAUX- PRIUS Cowboy said:
Thanks for the smile I was feeling like the red headed step child for a while there.

HEY!!!! No bad mouthing redheads!