Anyone Flying in for RTR 2020?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejeltz

Reaction score
Is anyone else planning on flying in for the 2020 RTR?
Does anyone have any advice or want to exchange info and ideas on flights, car rentals, and what to bring?

I know the RTR is not confirmed yet, and I'm not going to buy anything until it is, but are there assumed target dates? I am wanting to get estimates on flights and rentals so I know approximately how much money I need to save up.

I am guessing it will be held 7-19 since the Big Tent is the 18-26, and Bob said in the 2018 RTR announcement video that he likes to have the RTR end the same weekend the Big Tent starts.
Is it normal to not have the RTR details this late in the year? When does it normally happen?

So far I have found that flights are about the same into Phoenix and Tuscan but rental cars for 2 weeks are about $300 cheaper in Tuscan. My parents are going to be moved to Tuscan by then so I am happy about that, although it is almost 2 hours further away from Quartzsite.
I have not looked at flights into Yuma or other airports, any suggestions? I guess it depends on if it will be held in CA (or has that been put to rest?).

I am currently living in a house in Charlotte NC and was originally going to set my car up for living in and driving out to the RTR to experience it and learn about my future life. I also wanted to look at other rigs to see what I eventually wanted to move into. I was going to try to get a camp host job at the Big Tent, but until that started I would have to do deliveries (currently work for Postmates and DoorDash), or some other job until May, which would require stealth parking. I would also have to search for and try to set up rig at the same time, all in a strange city!
After paying for mechanical repairs and maintenance to my current car, gas and food to drive the 2k miles, and the possibility of having to drive back to NC if I can't get a job before May, I am looking at several thousand dollars to live in a car for the foreseeable future. I am not 1000% confident my car will even make it there and back, plus every dollar I spend on the car the less dollars I have for a long term rig.

So my current thought is to spend the ~$1k on a flight and rental car for the RTR, figure out what type of rig I want, get a camp host job, and return to Charlotte where I will still have a place to live (I can stay where I am for as long as I want) and I can make money while searching for my perfect rig. Plus that gives me more than 90 days to tie up all the loose ends here!

OK that's it for now, I can go on for almost as long as Bob :D , [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I will update as I [/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]find out more. I am happy to exchange ideas and help if this is your plan too.[/font]

There is a Quartzsite Chatter group you can join on Facebook. You might get leads on a seasonal job there. As far as camping in that area it’s wide open. You can either camp free and move every 2 weeks or you can stay on the LTVA and have water, dump station, dumpsters and bathrooms for $180 for the whole season (7 months) or $40 every two weeks.

for next years RTR they are talking about the end of January and the beginning of February. also it might be better to fly into San Diego or Los Angeles. they want to have the RTR in California this year not in Quartzsite. highdesertranger

thejeltz said:
Is anyone else planning on flying in for the 2020 RTR?
Does anyone have any advice or want to exchange info and ideas on flights, car rentals, and what to bring?

Check and double check your rental car policy....some of them forbid use on un-paved roads. There are a LOT of un-paved roads wherever the RTR is likely to be.

This is just personal opinion, but considering your entire post, and if your budget is tight, and future vehicle repairs might be an issue, you should probably skip spending the money to fly out to the desert and rent a car, plus all the other expenses related to such a trip. 

When your finances are better, and you have the right vehicle all set up, and the time to enjoy it...that is the time to take a big trip out west....or so it seems to me.

Just my 2c...

I'm with TX. Save your money and get a better rig. Settle into it before trying to make an epic trip. This is the time to save everything you can before jumping ship since you have the option. Go to the van and car sections and read. There is a lot of information here. We can clarify what is still muddy.

OP, whether you drive or travel, it will cost money.

I've been intending for quite some time to attend the RTR and WTR for this first time this year. But the uncertainty about where and when it will be, coupled with some family-related concerns, have made me rethink this plan. Instead of going to the RTR/WTR, I plan to join a caravan, maybe March?, instead. The extra time will allow me to save more money, and I think that for my purposes, the caravan experience will offer me nearly as much as the RTR/WTR would.

Those of you looking to go to the big Tent. I found it overrated and will miss silly Al,s pizza a lot more.

if you are looking for something specific and you know the company is going to have a booth at the big tent then for sure it's worth going.

examples;

when my buddy was looking at Tiger Motorhomes we went because we knew they would be there.
if you want to get a work camping job. there are always few companies there hiring. you can get hired on the spot for the summer season. I have known several people that have done that.

highdesertranger

jacqueg said:
I plan to join a caravan, maybe March?, instead. The extra time will allow me to save more money, and I think that for my purposes, the caravan experience will offer me nearly as much as the RTR/WTR would.

This is the conclusion I am coming to as well. Still waiting for the final plans to come out. On the last HOWA build video he said that he is getting frustrated as well and would be probably releasing plan E or F next week.

Fivealive said:
I have never understood the draw of that big tent.
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]
From Bob's Big Tent video it seems like a nightmare of sensory bombardment. The only reason I'd want to go there is get a hosting job, and check out the Sugar Beet Harvest and Amazon jobs, the latter of which he said you can re-apply at their booth. You can apply online to the jobs so the draw to the show for me is being able to talk to a real person and hopefully get extra information about the different locations, e.g., road accessibility, elevation, and what the different areas are like. I'd like to have something near water but still be as remote as possible.[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]
Does anyone have experience applying for camp host jobs online?[/font]

I have wanted to go the last few year but never made it. No way can I walk that far but I’m thinking I can bring my walker with the little seat on it and take breaks. I think I might go this year. Probably go with a few YARC camp pals.

I have been in the area several times and never gone as I hate crowds. I have had several campground jobs and worked for several concessionaires and now the park service. Most all of the recent ones I got required an online application and some a drug or background check. I would recommend going to the areas you wish to work in and staying a while as a visitor or volunteer and talk with the people there doing the jobs first then let them introduce you to the person that does the hiring or supervises them. Phone interviews with a recruiter or remote applications often are misleading or do not describe the real job you will be doing.