Hello again

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I joined this forum in March of 2022, as I was preparing to take some trips in my newly purchased Toyota Sienna. I have since gone on many adventures in it, from Death Valley to Lake Tahoe to Scottsdale, AZ, Tucson and Prescott. Mine is a no-build, the back seats are folded under the floor. I took out the passenger seat behind the driver's seat so I could put my Coleman cot behind there. Mostly I have tent camped, unless I'm only staying in a campsite for one night in which case I sleep in the van. I've got a Jackery 500 with two Jackery solar panels to power my small fridge. I also put fairy lights in the van, which I've not used much because most of the time I've been sleeping in my 8' x 8' tent. But, after camping at Tahoe with bears in the campsite every night, and then down near June Lake where ground squirrels nibbled a 6" slit below my tent zipper, I'm beginning to want to sleep in the van more, and to make it a better sleeper. I'm quite happy with the Cot. It's very comfortable and I haven't had to do anything to the floor (except I put some shag carpet in there). But I've decided to remove the one seat behind the passenger seat. I'd left it in because I thought I might use it when camping in the van, but I really haven't. It's just taking up space so I'm going to remove it. One problem I've had with trips longer than 3-4 nights is that the Jackery runs out of power, and then I've got to unplug the fridge and recharge the Jackery, which takes quite a while. I'm thinking of buying a Bluetti EB3A as a backup, so I can plug the fridge into it while I'm recharging the Jackery. I have a Setpower 30 Liter 24 volt fridge. I'm generally happy with it. I often unplug it after sundown to preserve power.

Anyway, it's good to be here and to read of others adventures in the van and RV life! I'm gearing up for my next trip to the Southwest, sometime between now and late October. I'm interested in trying some boondocking, something I haven't done yet.

Welcome!

Traveling to the Southwest at that time of year means you will not be unplugging that fridge at all as it will be too hot for that kind of routine at nighttime. Get plenty of solar panels and plenty of battery power too because you will need to be running fans as well as the fridge. The only cooler hours of the day are right around sunrise so you can’t turn off the fridge at bedtime and keep it at a food safe temperature all night. You can only do that on January nights in the southern desert Southwest if there is a cold front coming in out of the Arctic region. Or if you are camping at high mountain elevations in October and November where the nights get down to near or below freezing after dark and you do not turn any heat on inside your rig. Remember your own body generates a steady 98.6 or so heat into your dwelling space.

Last edited:
Thank you for your response. I visited Scottsdale, Prescott and Tucson in October 2022 and it wasn't too hot. They have a monsoon season that begins in August and September so the frequent afternoon showers cools temps down. I'm hoping to camp in mountainous areas like Flagstaff and Santa Fe that tend to be not so hot as the lowlands. I'm vaguely interested in exploring the area for possible relocation. And the only places in the southwest that I think I would find bearable would be the mountains, at or above 6,000 feet.

Thank you for your response. I visited Scottsdale, Prescott and Tucson in October 2022 and it wasn't too hot. They have a monsoon season that begins in August and September so the frequent afternoon showers cools temps down. I'm hoping to camp in mountainous areas like Flagstaff and Santa Fe that tend to be not so hot as the lowlands. I'm vaguely interested in exploring the area for possible relocation. And the only places in the southwest that I think I would find bearable would be the mountains, at or above 6,000 feet.
Our “hot” weather is getting hotter and the shoulder seasons are getting shorter it seems. Make sure you know your limits!

You are unfortunately very confused as to the dates for the monsoon season in Arizona. The Monsoon season officially begins approx June 21st and it ends on September 21st.

You do not have to take my word on that. See the photo below from the Arizona Department of Transportation.

I am currently camped in the Flagstaff area, this is my 4th monsoon season here. Flagstaff starts getting pretty cold at night with some below freezing low temperatures in early October. But this last week the high temp has been in the lower 90s. Fortunately the Monsoon season afternoon thunderstorm rains will begin returning this weekend to bring the high back into the 80s near Flagstaff for a week.

IMG_1703.jpeg

Last edited:
I would suggest at least 2 bigger batteries for your fridge. I have a Jackery 1000 and while it works. I know it would not work alone for any length of time for my fridge in the heat of the SW. I just spent the last 3 days on the cool PNW coast and it pooped out on me after the 2nd day because I was using it for more then I usually do. I had the solar panels out for about 6 hours in full beach sun but only got about 25% and then spent a 1/2 hour in the bathroom plugged in so I would have enough power for my nighttime breathing stuff. And as we were only going for a tiny, short trip I didn't even bring the fridge. I knew there would be No power spots available this week... I think I need bigger panels too.
I made a cover for my ice chest with 2 layers of thick wool blankets and that really helps there but can't do that on the running fridge. maybe something for when it is off I had an old wool blanket so that was why the wool but maybe some of the bubble wrap stuff and lots of duct tape.
So maybe start there more or bigger panels and more batteries. How do you plan to keep you cool?

If you can’t figure out how to put in a solar system just make do with an ice chest and get yourself down to Quartzsite for the winter. There will be several thousand people around who can help you sort out how to hook up a solar panel, house battery and 12v compressor fridge setup.also some outlets for USB powered lights and fans.

Welcome!

Traveling to the Southwest at that time of year means you will not be unplugging that fridge at all as it will be too hot for that kind of routine at nighttime. Get plenty of solar panels and plenty of battery power too because you will need to be running fans as well as the fridge. The only cooler hours of the day are right around sunrise so you can’t turn off the fridge at bedtime and keep it at a food safe temperature all night. You can only do that on January nights in the southern desert Southwest if there is a cold front coming in out of the Arctic region. Or if you are camping at high mountain elevations in October and November where the nights get down to near or below freezing after dark and you do not turn any heat on inside your rig. Remember your own body generates a steady 98.6 or so heat into your dwelling space.
Truth I set up my van with lots of solar and 1500. Inverter, and whatnot, and just for a test let the refrigerator run all day runs at a 100% battery just because of the solar , I have, but at night when it's a 110 a 115, it'll bring the batterie 100 Amp Redodo down to 68% but then it charges up. By 9 o'clock in the morning 100%, but that's running empty at 5°. The fridge..selling the van now since I've moved to Nicaragua

Attachments

• 20240612_071742.jpg
    20240612_071742.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I'm vaguely interested in exploring the area for possible relocation. And the only places in the southwest that I think I would find bearable would be the mountains, at or above 6,000 feet.
The further south you go, the more moderate the summer/winter variation is. I don't know your criteria besides climate, but there are several smallish towns at altitude in southern NM and AZ you might like. Even Alpine/Ft Davis in TX.

Become a “snow bird”. That really is the only thing that works best for cheap RV living.

There is no affordable, public lands, year around paradise in any single location in the continental USA.

Last edited:
Smallish towns in mountains in NM and AZ that are cooler in summer are freezing in winter.
Pretty sure the OP is scouting out places for a permanent dwelling, not year round camping. Summer and winter average highs swing ~35F in the southern mountains. 50F in Jan and ~85F in July at 7k ft.

I would suggest at least 2 bigger batteries for your fridge. I have a Jackery 1000 and while it works. I know it would not work alone for any length of time for my fridge in the heat of the SW. I just spent the last 3 days on the cool PNW coast and it pooped out on me after the 2nd day because I was using it for more then I usually do. I had the solar panels out for about 6 hours in full beach sun but only got about 25% and then spent a 1/2 hour in the bathroom plugged in so I would have enough power for my nighttime breathing stuff. And as we were only going for a tiny, short trip I didn't even bring the fridge. I knew there would be No power spots available this week... I think I need bigger panels too.
I made a cover for my ice chest with 2 layers of thick wool blankets and that really helps there but can't do that on the running fridge. maybe something for when it is off I had an old wool blanket so that was why the wool but maybe some of the bubble wrap stuff and lots of duct tape.
So maybe start there more or bigger panels and more batteries. How do you plan to keep you cool?

If there's a bit of room in the fridge put a pan or bowl of ice in it. This I've used in power outages - although a whole bin in my large home fridge. Obviously that's if you can get ice or plan ahead.

Pretty sure the OP is scouting out places for a permanent dwelling, not year round camping. Summer and winter average highs swing ~35F in the southern mountains. 50F in Jan and ~85F in July at 7k ft.
The OP stated being “vaguely” interested in relocating”.

Sorry, what was I thinking, I meant the other half --- Nicaragua.
The van looks great though.
I figured out that I could scrape by in the United States with a $1000 a month. Retirement income couldn't travel because gas was too expensive. Couldn't live anywhere that I really wanted to live because it was too expensive did some research and I figured out. I could live really well in Nicaragua for a $1000 a month $200 for the 2 bedroom apartment $50 for all utilities, including cell phone. Great climate, it's not too hot, not too cold.I'm ten miles from the beach and the buses cost anywhere from sixteenth cents too 2 dollars to go a mile to sixty miles away so here I am enjoying life
I might add that. I am fluent in Spanish but I lived in Thailand and it's basically the same thing. Maybe a little cheaper than here, even. However, the airplane ticket to Thailand or Vietnam or whatever is 800 to a $1000 1 round-trip, whereas from the US $212 round-trip. That's what I paid and I wanted to live somewhere closer to the US to see my kids whatever.

Attachments

• IMG-20240711-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20240711-WA0002.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240711_090116_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20240711_090116_Messenger.jpg
    584.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240704_104037.jpg
    20240704_104037.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240704_121808.jpg
    20240704_121808.jpg