covid information

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
crofter said:
According to this research projection, Arizona still needs 94 ICU beds and about 500 ventilators to survive the peak of virus cases. AZ has until the end of the month to get it together before this virus impacts us in a big way here.  Sounds like social distancing and the stay at home order is helping. As usual for survival living "JUST DON'T GET SICK."   
-crofter

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

The problem with that prediction, crofter, is that the graph of "Deaths per day" is still on the exponential growth part of the curve in the US, and there is a lot of guesswork as to when it will start to flatten. Too soon to tell ????

You might take a look at the corresponding "Daily New Deaths" graphs for China, Italy, and the US, and see what you think. Scroll down to the proper graph on each page.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/china/
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy/
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Qxxx said:

...and there is a lot of guesswork as to when it will start to flatten. Too soon to tell ?....
I agree that the above research study is on the optimistic side. Their projected tally of deaths is at the low number, not even close to worst case of 2 million plus deaths in the US. This statistic does get updated, so accuracy may improve. 

The one thing that might be accurate is the tally of hospital resources in your area, by state. 
-crofter

They can't base it on any real data from Washington state this last few days. Their data reporting system got overwhelmed by the incoming data and broke down. Microsoft has stepped up with an offer to fix it, but will that make it even more user unfriendly that it already was ;)

So a few days from now there will be "sticker shock" at the WA state number of confirmed cases that happened over a few days time while the curve was still rising.

crofter said:
I agree that the above research study is on the optimistic side. Their projected tally of deaths is at the low number, not even close to worst case of 2 million plus deaths in the US.
-crofter
Yes, it is difficult to see how the numbers on the healthdata.org site, as well as the "current" trends, relate to what people like Dr Fauci have been saying. Since they are almost 2 months behind China in taking significant action, maybe they are now trying to scare people into compliance.

Given the belated start and hit and miss nature of testing in this country, the most accurate count may be the trend in the "actual" number of deaths per day, and not the "projected" number. If the actual number starts to slow, as it has in China and also Italy of late, then we may be getting somewhere. No matter what, it'll still be high.

Qxxx said:
Not sure if this has been put in place, but Smith's/Kroger's indicated they will be providing "employees" with masks and gloves. Apparently also Walmart.

Was in both today in Pahrump. Nobody wearing masks. Some employees had gloves.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

geogentry said:
Was in both today in Pahrump. Nobody wearing masks. Some employees had gloves.

Thanks. Both articles are dated in the last day or so, and both indicate "future" use of masks by store employees. Walmart says "The masks will arrive in 1-2 weeks". Duh.

Were any customers doing it?

Qxxx said:
 . . .
NYC and LA are now advising people to wear masks when going out. It's amazing that California is doing so much better than New York state, twice the population and only 1/10 the numbers of cases.

Maybe because NY city has a much higher population density, LA is more spread out.
 - New York City = ~26,000+ people per square mile; rest of state = <500
 - Los Angeles (most densely populated) = ~8,000+ people per square mile
and NY is almost all public transit, LA mostly private vehicles
Higher density and more common surfaces = more chance of infection.

Found this 'Cleaning Products that can Kill COVID-19 virus':

https://www.sciencealert.com/here-s...-cleaning-products-to-use-against-coronavirus

I think you nailed it, spiff. Similarly, in Europe the train and subway systems are vastly more extensive and heavily used in lieu of cars than in the US, so places like Italy, Spain, and France are in deep trouble. Virus spread before social distancing became a way of life. And China understood the problem immediately. Wuhan has 8M+ people and is the major transportation in central China.

you still can't tell how many people in Seattle are infected because they are only testing people who are very ill from it. Or persons such as medical personnel and first responders as well as police officers.

The death rate may or may not be accurate depending on if that person got tested or if it got passed off as a natural death.

If this was a horse race Italy is leading on the back stretch, Spain a horse length behind, USA is on the outside coming on strong, France, the UK, Iran are bunch together several lengths back, the rest of the pack are completely out of it with South Korea taken on the tail,,,,around the third corner USA is right behind Spain nosing up fast, on the home stretch, coming from nowhere USA has flown by Italy and breaking away, at the line USA has blitzed the field by more then ten lengths the Winner America is great again the crowd goes wild.....the red white and blue waves as USA heads to the winners circle.The owners embrace as they head to the betting window to collect their winnings. China was the favorite but on the day didn’t really show up. What an exciting race that was the owners and trainers can give themselves a big 10 for preparing that horse and peaking at the right time. Congratulations USA...

Spaceman Spiff said:
Good info. Important to note that bleach is effective while wipes are not effective.

Be careful with bleach, as it can damage surfaces, your clothes, and your lungs. They recomend leaving on surfaces for 15 min. You should have the windows open and be outside during this time.

I will have to admit that I cleaned a lot more earlier on, and need to get motivated to clean again.  Not looking forward to damaging myself with bleach.  -crofter

As a household of one, I keep up with my usual cleaning routine, and disinfect surfaces only after I have been out to the grocery store or pharmacy.

I have a bottle of 70% isopropyl alcohol in a spray bottle, and use that on counters and door knobs after putting away purchases.

I go thru mail as soon as it arrives, then wash my hands.

Here's an update and clarification about the RV ban In Galveston, Texas.

Today's Galveston Daily News says:

"More information -- City orders extended through April 31:

...various hotel and park closures and restrictions ...

31-day minimum limit on stays in RV parks

...various other closures and restrictions..."

That's what I figured they meant to say in the first place, before they took a look at just how many RVs were included in the original order.

Oops mah bad!

Johnny

Status
Not open for further replies.