Conversion of Sundowner Horse trailer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stymie

Reaction score
image.jpegHaving owned this trailer for several years and being $ challenge at this stage of life. Thank you for this Mr. Madoff. When I first got the trailer , it hadn't hauled a horse in several years but I still pressure washed and disenfected it. Sad to say but I haven't hauled a horse in it either. Having made a camper out of a two horse trailer and having this one, game on.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    211.2 KB
YAY!!  I'm looking forward to this build :D  

Back in 2004 a good friend in TX with a F250 volunteered to help me move to SD from just south of Dallas.   He borrowed a 14ft livestock trailer that was used to haul wood from a friend who had a BBQ place.

The trailer had a rounded roof and then some side rails with the rest of the sides built with solid metal walls.  I thought at the time with a canvas cover over the roof and a ways down the sides it would be like a covered wagon and a person could live in it.  I watched a lot of Wagon Train growing up.   I've even looked at horse trailers on CL! You have a Sundowner too.  I've heard they have a good rep  When I was riding a hundred years ago I never owned a trailer.  Course I was too young to drive, coulda had something to do with it?
You may have the 1st horse trailer conversion here on CRVL.  I wish I was there! :)  

Jewellann

image.jpegHI some progress in build,
Some reason when I try to send multiple photos it's all the Same. Try again.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    209.5 KB
What a neat project!  The only thing I can't help thinking...How does this thing smell?   I know you said you washed it and disinfected, but still...Probably all in my head!  :p
Good luck, can't wait to see more!

Artsyguy said:
How does this thing smell?   I know you said you washed it and disinfected, but still...Probably all in my head!  :p

Who cares!  lol   I mean, yeah it's probably all in your head. :p  It's exiting cuz I wondered if anyone ever tried to build from
a horsey trailer, now I know!  Very cool!  :cool:

Artsyguy said:
What a neat project!  The only thing I can't help thinking...How does this thing smell?   I know you said you washed it and disinfected, but still...Probably all in my head!  :p
Good luck, can't wait to see more!

No smells- in your head.

A friend said I should replace the 1 inch rubber matts for a wood floor, I feel the rubber matts are great insulation..
Open to suggestions

Stymie said:
A friend said I should replace the 1 inch rubber matts for a wood floor, I feel the rubber matts are great insulation..
Open to suggestions

With the height you have to work with, I'd build a 1" wood frame, insulate with Polyiso and then put 5/8-3/4" plywood on the floor.  Finish that to taste.  The advantage of a plywood floor is you can screw stuff down like cabinets, furniture, etc...

This looks like a very interesting project! Did you give the dimensions yet?

Good LucK.

:)  I'm looking forward to your project.  I saw a plywood parquet floor somewhere.  It looked good with the various grains running different ways in the squares.  I think it was stained, however I'm not sure if it was sealed with anything else.  Will you be able to work on the Sundowner this winter?

Jewellann

Yes said:
:)  I'm looking forward to your project.  I saw a plywood parquet floor somewhere.  It looked good with the various grains running different ways in the squares.  I think it was stained, however I'm not sure if it was sealed with anything else.  Will you be able to work on the Sundowner this winter?

Jewellann

What are the interior dimensions .....height and width? Are horse trailers constructed better than the average cargo trailer? Seems like they would be to handle the abuse of hauling multiple horses and their gear around.