Considering full time RVing

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most would call the Leisure Travel vans class B+. The extra room might be nice for full timing. They have some nice floor plans and a pretty good reputation.

But we love the mobility of our class B and really like the Sprinter chassis and haven’t had any significant issues with it. And we take it all over the west including many miles on gravel roads. Great cruiser. Easy to drive. Good handling. Can tow our boat. We have found it way harder to get good timely service on the RV part than the chassis part.

I have to second the "anti-Benz" statement.
While I am not saying anything negative about their specific design, you WILL usually be waiting for repairs.
The GM or even Ford V8's will serve you very well...are easy to repair by comparison and if you do the math, are more cost-effective than that V6 Mercedes. (The 5 cylinder Mercedes diesel engines were MUCH more reliable than that *gag* V6.)

A pickup truck and trailer combination is a lot easier to repair than a motorhome. Even a class B can be hard finding a garage with a big enough lift or enough headroom.

A trailer can be set up at a campsite while you go exploring in your truck. If you find your trailer too small you can trade it for something else without losing the investment in the truck.

The downside of a trailer is you might not feel safe boondocking. My mom and her husband sometimes spend the night at Walmart or a truck stop. But if they feel unsafe or unsure they sleep in the tow vehicle for a few hours and then push on.

Another convenience of a motorhome is there's less work setting up. It's also easier to visit urban areas in a smaller RV. But I think a class B might be too small for an older couple to live full time. Unless you're really active and require only minimal accommodations.

When I'm staying at a campground or crown land I have a screened tent I put over the ramp of my trailer. I can open the ramp to let in some light and the screens keep the bugs out and also gives me some extra living space.

For RV's you can get add ones that convert your awning into a tent. People carry rugs or even build decks. But setting that up at the end of a
long drive gets old. Renting before you buy is definitely a good idea.

My advice is unless you're really stuck on the advantages of a motorized RV then start shopping for a good diesel pickup. Then add a used camper that fits your budget and try it out for a few months. If life on the road doesn't appeal or you or you want to try a different rig you can sell without losing too much money.

If you stay small on the bumper pull trailer, you can get by beautifully with any newer gas motor (diesel not needed). Staying under 25' on the camper will allow you to easily pull/park/maneuver trailer, and possibly to stay to a 1/2 ton truck (newer Ecoboost or 5.0L Ford for example).

I pull my 32' Heartland camper with 1 big slideout, behind my 2004 Ford Excursion with the 6.0L diesel....a heck of a truck with seating for 8, that still gets decent mileage, BUT, every part is much more expensive, oil changes are 14.5 qts, and fuel can be hard to find in some desolate areas, not to mention it costing twice as much to purchase.

Bullfrog, if we tow the Honda Civic it would be on a trailer. I will check into the escapees club. Thanks

Wandering Rose and B and C, My husband and I get along, but I do worry about getting something too small. The Leisure Travel is a B+ so it's pretty spacious. We love the outdoors, hiking and biking, so that should help.

Knit, Yes it is a B+ with a Murphy bed and a small slide. The floor plan is spacious, especially when the bed is up. Better square footage then some class C's we've found. The mobility of it is the reason we want something smaller. We want more than 6 miles to a gallon when traveling. We want to get off the interstate and travel through small towns. There isn't anything relaxing about the interstate. I have that privilege going to work every day. Glad to hear that you haven't had any problem with the sprinter chassis. If you tow a boat, how do you get around when camping? Do you unhook the RV? We are trying to figure out the best way to get around if we stay at a campground for a while.

JD Gumbee, we are still shopping around. Maybe there's another type of B+ with a Murphy bed that is on a GM or Ford chassis. We found a class C Winnie that wasn't a Mercedes, but it was gas. We want to travel in Colorado, etc and want to make sure it has enough power for mountains.

Homeless in Canada, I like the safety of a motor home, but that's a good idea sleeping in the tow vehicle for a few hours. We haven't found a travel trailer that we like that's in our price range. We checked into the Oliver and it was around 70k. Then we have to purchase a truck. We will continue looking for a trailer that we like. We looked at some used trucks that were nice. I also love the idea of a screen house, which would give us a lot more room. We are very active now but that will change as we age. Thanks, lots of great tips!

Ckelly78z, We looked at the Ford truck and it is amazing how much they tow now. We want to look at several other brands and hopefully pick the right one. We have had a Ford and Chevy truck in the past and both were good vehicles. Ford Excursions are great trucks! We found a couple campers that were 25' or less. I want to be comfortable driving it too. Sounds crazy, but we want to buy something that the other person will continue to use if one of us passed away. I know, morbid but we both lost a brother much to young. We are retiring in 2019, woohoo!!! We are trying to figure out what option is best for us. So many choices! Thanks!

SandyM said:
JD Gumbee, we are still shopping around. Maybe there's another type of B+ with a Murphy bed that is on a GM or Ford chassis. We found a class C Winnie that wasn't a Mercedes, but it was gas. We want to travel in Colorado, etc and want to make sure it has enough power for mountains.

Homeless in Canada, I like the safety of a motor home, but that's a good idea sleeping in the tow vehicle for a few hours. We haven't found a travel trailer that we like that's in our price range. We checked into the Oliver and it was around 70k. Then we have to purchase a truck. We will continue looking for a trailer that we like. We looked at some used trucks that were nice. I also love the idea of a screen house, which would give us a lot more room. We are very active now but that will change as we age. Thanks, lots of great tips!

Ckelly78z, We looked at the Ford truck and it is amazing how much they tow now. We want to look at several other brands and hopefully pick the right one. We have had a Ford and Chevy truck in the past and both were good vehicles. Ford Excursions are great trucks! We found a couple campers that were 25' or less. I want to be comfortable driving it too. Sounds crazy, but we want to buy something that the other person will continue to use if one of us passed away. I know, morbid but we both lost a brother much to young. We are retiring in 2019, woohoo!!! We are trying to figure out what option is best for us. So many choices! Thanks!

Maybe something like this https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/1963-Mack-25-5005439692

There are double deck pull behind trailers that lift the boat above the car ramps. Pull off the vehicle, lower the boat and launch the boat. Anything you pull will add to your fuel costs.

In my lifetime, I have tented, pop-up campered (pulled with a motorcycle), travel trailered (pulled with both gas and diesel pickups), Class A'd (no towed), vanned in a self-built simple setup (no plumbing or electrical), fifth wheeled (parked in RV park) and Class B'd.  Each had its advantages and disadvantages.

My husband was an excellent driver and backer upper and with two of us, hitching etc was pretty quick and easy with the trailers.  But as his health declined, we had to give that up.  So we traded to a Class A so I could drive and avoid all the hitching etc.  Three weeks after we bought it, he died.  I took it on a few solo trips and it was just too big -- hard to maneuver and exhausting to drive.  Gave that up.

Switched to a self built passenger van Ford E-150) and put 70K solo miles on it in two years.  Loved the easy driving, good maneuverability, no tanks to dump, no plumbing to worry about, no batteries to maintain.  But craved a Class B.

The fiver was parked as my home base so didn't travel in it but still had to maintain tanks, roof, propane system, etc.

Finally got the Pleasure Way Class B and was sooo excited, it was my dream!  But it still had the same maintenance and hassles as the Class A and TT.  Keeping tanks dumped (hooking up all that was a PITA).  It was worthless boondocking because the battery would last only a few days and I still couldn't use the AC/furnace/microwave etc unless I had hookups (RV park).  Yes, I had a generator, I hate generators, they're noisy and stinky and something else to maintain!  And I had no towed so if I were hooked up, then there was all of that to deal with just to go anywhere.  Same as the Class A, just smaller.  And the clearance was so low, I dared not be too adventuresome on where I went.  I ended up using my camping gear from the old van when I wasn't hooked up (Mr Heater Buddy, battery operated fan, lined the toilet with plastic bag for solid waste, didn't use the shower).  What a waste.  Sold it after a couple of trips.

I am currently back in a S&B and may be done with mobile dwelling, we shall see.  But if I do this again, it will be in a self built van withOUT all the bells and whistles. Just my thing as I spent $0 on RV systems, much less on parks with hookups, half as much on fuel, anybody could work on it (Ford V-8 gas) or change the oil, no roof maintenance or leaks, it was so very easy!  The few times I was caught in freezing weather, no worries about frozen water lines and tanks.  No worries about any of those RV systems.  As for two in a B, I don't know.  I just had my little dog.

The decision as to what type of RV to get is a tough one. I've had different ones and each has its own challenges.

I loved my mobile dwelling days and had so many great times.  For now, I've changed things up and am enjoying it, too.  I wish you the best!

Stargazer, You've had just about every type of camper throughout the years.

We've also had a pop-up camper pulled by a motorcycle and a travel trailer. Honestly, the popup was a lot more fun! A lot less hassle and there really wasn't much that could break. We thought about doing that again, but as we age, a bathroom is probably a good idea.

Sorry to hear about your husband. That is why we aren't interested in a Class A. I'm not sure either one of us would use it without the other person. I would definitely believe it's exhausting to drive. Stressful on the interstate with all the traffic. We are positive that a class A isn't right for us right now. The self built passenger van would be so easy to drive, but then we are back to no bathroom. I don't want to get up in the middle of the night and walk to a facility. We've camped in bear country with the popup and have had 2 black bears near our camper. I'm positive that I don't want to do that again.

We actually looked at the Pleasure Way Class B with a Murphy bed. Yes, I know the maintenance is a pain. We haven't had a camper with a generator, but was wondering how much more work that would require. I think I'd rather have the storage space and they can keep the generator. We plan to be in RV parks most of the time anyway. I'm concerned about the cost of repairing a Mercedes. We have friends with expensive vehicles and they've stated how much it costs to repair them. I would love to find a nice B+ on a Ford/Chevy/Dodge chassis, but not sure if they exist. The B+ size is something we are thinking about, because it's as roomy as some class C's.

We love to camp and travel, so I'm pretty sure it will be wonderful! Counting the days!

Thank you! I wish you the best too!

I think it’s a great idea. That’s enough room for two people and cheap enough of fuel that you can really travel.  

I have a truck camper and have thought about down sizing. Id prefer something easier to get in and out of.  

The down side is small tanks, less insulation.

Load it up with solar panels.  I’d cover ever once if the roof and have it over hange slightly.

Night Sailor,
Thanks, we love that it will be cheaper on fuel. That's why we are looking at something small. The small tanks are fine with us. We will probably be hooked up to electricity & water most of the time. We are trying to find a used one that's in our price range. The new B+ models are very expensive.

We are also leaning towards a truck with a small travel trailer. We found a small TT that we love and seems to be well built (Grand Design). That option seems to be a lot more reasonable and we won't need to tow a vehicle. We priced trucks, they are expensive, but as someone else noted, if we get tired of camping, we can still keep the truck. Also considering the mechanics of a class B+ vs. a truck. A truck would be much cheaper to maintain (oil changes, etc.).

Hi There.

I went with the TT brokers recommended by RVLove. I got the Elite membership. It can be financed but I just put it on my credit card and will pay it off asap.

Boondocking sounds fantastic but I'm in a different life stage.

Good luck!

Stargazer
Thanks for sharing your story. I'm sorry to hear about your husband's death. It seems you have continued to carry out your passion for traveling. Your solo travels intrigue me because I'm about to embark on this myself. I have experience in camping and minimalism, but NOT alone. As a 60 yr, female, I've never even own a van, truck. I've driven them, but NEVER alone.
I've been shopping around for a class c OR a used class b. I have to March 29, 2019. That's not a serious date, it's my own deadline.
Please keep your stories coming and best of luck to you and your travels.
Cheers!

Hi Bettle,
We want see how difficult and expensive it is to find campgrounds on our own for a year before joining TT. We want to travel the entire USA before joining because they aren't located everywhere. We will definitely purchase one through a broker when do. How difficult is it to find a campsite in warm climate in the winter? I am sitting here listening to the wind blowing with a temperature of -5. I can't take it anymore!?

The question mark was supposed to be a smiley face! No worries, I'm not at the end of my rope, just sick of cold weather!

I like the quote I heard recently "Put 10 engineers in a room and ask them the same question and you will get 10 different answers with good reasons." There are a ton of options, which is part of the problem, lol. I would say look at each option and picture yourself living in each one, then figure out what is the worst thing that can go wrong. Once you have the worst things figured out see if there is a way to mitigate them or live with them.
I'm currently in a 1989 Airstream 34' with a Toyota Sequoia towing it. I picked the airstream because I wanted to make sure I didn't lose a ton of money should I hate living on the road (I didn't hate it :) ). I got one between "old" and "vintage" because it was in my budget and I can fix it up nice and maybe have it increase in value down the road. I didn't buy new because I didn't want to take the depreciation hit and wanted someone else to work the bugs out. About the only thing that goes bad on the structure of airstreams is the floors and maybe frames if left for long enough so I didn't have to worry about the typical RV roof issues for the most part. I also don't feel bad about modifying it to fit my needs because I can frame in my head it as a renovation, lol.
I picked the gas truck for reliability and not wanting to get involved with diesel's (less reliable in the US (due to mechanics incompetence, design flaws, fuel issues, etc) and more costly to maintain should something go wrong). I'm ok with paying more at the pump in exchange for less cost and more reliability. Also, the track record for a lot of the diesel trucks having transmission issues (for the ones in my budget) and now switching over to the same brand transmission Toyota uses in the gas trucks (newer dodges use Aisin transmissions which are mostly owned by Toyota).
Lots more reasons and thoughts if you're interested, lol.

Hi Redbearded,
Thanks for the information! So true that everyone has their own opinion. We are sure that we want a travel trailer now. We narrowed it down to 2 different brands. Now we need to pick a floor plan. We are traveling to the RV show in Hershey Pennsylvania before we decide. That will probably open up many more options! We attended the show in Tampa a couple years ago. Fantastic show with so many options that aren't available where we live. We know we want something small for traveling.
An Airstream is a great choice. We also will be purchasing a gas truck for the same reasons (price, repair). My personal favorite brand is a Toyota or Honda, but Honda doesn't offer any trucks and their SUVs might not be able to tow the camper. Does your Toyota Sequoia tow your Airstream well? I had a Ford F-150 in the past. Good truck, but not sure if we want another one. We've had roof issues in the past. It was a cheap camper. As the saying goes, "You get what you pay for". We will stay away from the hand made roofing material this time. We aren't very handy, so buying a vintage camper and fixing it up would be very interesting! I will try to lay linoleum floors in my son's condo this weekend. Maybe I'll find out that I am handy after all! It looks easy on YouTube, lol! We are hoping to buy a used camper, if we can find the model that we decide to purchase. They depreciate so much in a few years. Want to avoid that. Just found out that my cousin has stage 4 lung cancer (nonsmoker) and isn't expected to live long. He just retired 3 years ago and really didn't do anything. We plan to retire this year! Life is short and I don't want to die sitting at my desk! Enjoy being on the road! We can't wait!

We recently made the same move ... Our decision fell onto a 17 foot Casita travel trailer towed by an SUV.  Leave the Casita on the campground and you have your vehicle free for shopping/exploring.  We used to have 1 vehicle RV and it got old very quickly to always have to break camp ... Not to mention that you're always driving in your big RV versus a regular car-sized vehicle.

Good luck!