Guidance for fulltime

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good question! We will be walking, reading and exploring our surroundings where ever we are.  My husband gets dizzy very easy  (TBI from surgeries) and has balance issues. Using a walking stick/trek pole and he's good to go! Living in this mobile home park we don't have a driveway to build anything. We agree to the motto , work with what you already have. It was disappointing to realize our car (2017 Honda CRV) can't tow over 1500 lbs. We've been slammed with too many expenses at one time. My Mom, in MN died a couple months ago. I flew out to see her 2 months before she died to and thank you and say goodbye. Cell phone quit, it was pretty old,Funeral and nursing home bills, leak in roof, not covered by insurance, refrigerator quit, new management at park...increase in rent and very unfriendly management. We own our trailer. We owe a bit on car, but are debt free. We feel like losers because we have no nest egg to fall back on. I know we're not alone in that regard. It still feels awful. Very laid back life, keeping things simple and uncomplicated. We understand we have 10 years of good health before we're looking at low income senior housing. One day at a time!

Well being mobil like this, I dont have a water bill, TV bill, gas bill, sewer bill. I haven't filled my propane tank since July and its still half full. I still have a cell Phone and mobil internet to pay for, and insurance for my RV and car combined was less than my house was.

But note I am staying in an RV park this winter, but I am driving a school bus so that pays for the lot rent each month, and puts a little extra in my pocket. If I wasn't working here it would be different.

Sounds like a good plan for you Freelander!
With our travel plans it needs to be said, we will be on the look out for another retirement place to be stationary for stability. In a few years.  Not yet! Maybe some place sunnier than here where the Owners of the community aren't a nameless corporation that will price gouge renters without full disclosure. We're hoping, however naively, to find a place to park our rv, and rent another mobile home, or live in RV in a park. This country has no stability at the moment. We wish to survive close to nature, with a support system as we age. That's not possible right now. We need to be in safe place to ride out these times. Together, without being  broke.

I love what Warren Miller use to say at the end of all his yearly ski films: “If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do.”

Since your Husband is retired Air Force he can get an America the Beautiful pass for the National parks, and can get in for free.

Many military bases have full hookup camping that is not free but may be close to lot rent for retired military. Escapees parks are basically great places at low rents and a low yearly membership. The one in Livingston Texas basically has an assisted living Care Center. Something to look into especially ones close to VA hospitals if health treatment is a concern.

The think the closet VA Clinic to Livingston is in Conroe TX.

When I was at Rainbows End in Livingston the lot rent was $370 plus electric I think.

We don't know each other, but believe me when I say, so glad to have met and heard from you all! Tonight, my husband and I have renewed hope for our future. We understand this is in no way easy. But it feels good to plan and not feel so "green" and naive. We just want to look for a bit of happiness that has been hard earned and difficult to to experience for the last few years. Thank you thank you thank you  :heart: ;) :thumbsup:

Good question! We will be walking, reading and exploring our surroundings where ever we are.

This may not be on your radar at all... but I like really getting out into the boonies, away from everything... where I won't see other people.

If that sort of thing appeals to you, I'd suggest a 4wd 1 ton pickup (not dualies) with a good camper. Another bonus is being able to easily detach the truck from the camper. Like many things these days, they are in short supply and over-priced, unfortunately.

See Minneapolis CL 2002 F250 4x4 with new camper, solar for sale for $16,900.

It’s always important to look for signs of leakage and/or mold in a used RV. Getting something from a rental company such as Cruise America is probably safer than buying something from a private owner because the rental company must do normal maintenance in order to rent to the next customer. That said there are still things to consider.

Personally I think it is wise to avoid slide-outs. Yea they give you more space, but they also provide a place for things to creep inside the rig. And they are just one more thing to break. I currently have a class-B (Travato) and am very comfortable with having fewer things that can break. ;-)

OK - things to consider - probably the biggest is the fridge. Most class-C rigs will have a three-way absorption fridge. Oh it’s great that they can run on propane, but absorption fridges have a drawback. The back of the fridge opens to a grill on the outside of the rig. (This is part of the absorption part and eliminates excess heat.). But if that grill is constantly exposed to the sun, the gel in the fridge can become thicker causing the fridge to eventually cease working. Sometimes the chilling unit can be replaced, but sometimes the entire fridge has to be replaced.

And this brings up another thing to consider. Is the layout such so that it will be easy to replace items. When my fridge went out, we ended up having to remove a double window to get it back in - and then we discovered that the gasket around the window was a custom design that wouldn’t allow replacement. We ended up having to replace the window with one of a more standard design.

And a final consideration. If you get a used rig - get one from a company that still exists so that it will be much easier to get replacement parts.

We don't know each other, but believe me when I say, so glad to have met and heard from you all! Tonight, my husband and I have renewed hope for our future. We understand this is in no way easy. But it feels good to plan and not feel so "green" and naive. We just want to look for a bit of happiness that has been hard earned and difficult to to experience for the last few years. Thank you thank you thank you ❤️ ;) 👍

Hey hey.. it has been a while... have you been able tomake any progress? Do you know what you want (and can afford) for an RV?