Transmission dilemma on a Chevy Express 1500

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PineyCruisin

Reaction score
We bought a 2005 Chevrolet Express 1500 4.3L with 102K miles in 2017. To be certain it was in tip-top shaped, we replaced/serviced a lot of parts--alternator, plugs, water pump, belts, etc--and changed all fluids and oils, except the transmission. We were advised by a trusted transmission guy not to change the transmission oil since we were not certain of the service history and took this advice.

We converted the van ourselves for long-term living and it has since taken us on 55,000 (mostly carefree) miles, going coast to coast and across the Rockies 4x and to Newfoundland this past summer. It is a workhorse and it is only lately that I’ve noticed just a tad bit of a “thud” (not anything too jolting) at times when going up steeper grades.

We are now planning a trip to Alaska this summer and, since we live in NJ, will be putting the transmission to the test. We realized quite some time ago that it would always be more cost effective to simply have anything serviced/replaced on it than to purchase a new vehicle and start from scratch so, after much deliberation, we decided to swap out the transmission now since we planned on doing it eventually anyway. And, to be certain it was done correctly, get a remanufactured one installed at a Chevy dealership despite the cost.

Now to get to the crux of the matter: There is a national backlog of reman transmissions on this vehicle and there is absolutely no assurance it will arrive in time before we leave for our trip the end of April.

The choices we can think of are:

• Order the reman transmission – We have to pay for it up front in order to get on the waiting list and either hope there is one available and shipped well before April in order to have it installed and then have time to drive it to be certain everything is chipper before setting off across the country *OR* it doesn’t arrive and we have to cross our fingers that the tranny doesn’t blow out during our trip and have it done after we get back in September.
  • Have the transmission rebuilt at a local trans shop --- we are wary of rebuilts and the one guy we would have trusted with the job has since retire
  • Take the risk -- Wait until after the trip to order the reman and deal with any transmission problems as they happen
  • Slowly swap out the old transmission oil and if that does precipitate a bigger problem, have the tranny rebuilt– we have read that many people have success replacing small portions of their very old tranny oil a few oil changes at a time.
We do not want to postpone this trip because this could very well be the last trip my husband can take (his health has been slowly declining) and do not want to fly there and rent a car/van/RV.

Would greatly appreciate any input, advice, possible remedies we haven’t thought of, etc…if anyone out there has made it this far…..😊

with a tear in your eye and an emotional sob story, pull your trusted guy out of retirement to do a "shade tree" rebuild or supervise someone he trusts to do the job right

Love that suggestion -- in addition to the sob story to tempt him to do it, we'd have to pay for his transportation and housing since he is basking in the glory of retired life somewhere down south.

Just for grins I googled the 4L60E and with about 63 variations of that transmission it's hard to know for sure...but I found a LOT of listings for reman 4L60s available for sale.

Of course you might have core charges and shipping charges but I would think a reputable transmission shop in your local area should be able to get one for you.

Good luck!

That is encouraging!

Now that you mention it, there is an AAMCO nearby with excellent reviews (we do take online reviews with a grain of salt but at least we can't find horror stories among them).

Looking at their website, they only do remans, no rebuilds. That's good news for us...and it's a national chain so am hoping the warranty extends to any AAMCO beyond the local shop where it was done, unlike the Chevy dealers. Myabe that's even better than a dealer? Wonder if AAMCO has their own supply of trannys since that is their entire business? I sure hope so! We won't know for sure until Monday, when they open. **crossing fingers**

Oh! Forgot to mention....

Hubby checked fluid and wiped dipstick on a paper towel. Fluid is translucent and reddish brown. There was black streak where the edge of the dipstick was wiped as if the dipstick itself was dirty.

There are some good transmission shops other than dealerships and AAMCO as many of those don’t honor others work. If you search this forum you will find some horror stories about them. Search recommended good ones out via YouTube, the internet and have your retired friend refer you to one for a complete check of pressures and fluid condition. You didn’t say what the mileage on the transmission is presently but wear can be unapparent till it fails completely as the material that wears off thickens the fluid and helps worn out seals continue to function until the seal rips completely in two or off the sealing surface. If you are over 200,000 miles of mountain driving and haven’t changed the fluid. I personally wouldn’t chance it without having a trusted shop completely check it out. If it is worn out it needs to be fixed or replaced simple as that. Without a good plan “B” you may end up living on the side of the road telling your sad story to some stranger begging for help in a very remote expensive part of the world.

Last edited:
I think Bullfrog !'s advice is good. I have a chevy 3500 with 225,000+ miles and I've had the transmission do a "thud" as you call it a few times in the last 40,000 miles. Its still going strong (knock on wood) so I wouldn't spend the money on a new transmission just because of the possibility.

I would change the fluid/filter before I change the entire transmission, dirty fluid or low fluid will cause you problems. My 1986 astrovan with 4.3 liter, I changed the fluid last year it wasn't causing any problems but I had the van almost 10 years and it was overdue a fluid change. On my van the recommended change is every 30k or 2 years, even as much as every 15k if used for towing.
Also change the differfential fluid, when my differential gave out about 5 years ago, When I opened up the cover alot of water came out. The differential fluid is suppose to be very thick but what came out was very thin watery. I never changed the differential fluid in any car I had but its on my to do list now.

Have him do that and smell the fluid....does it smell burnt?

He said he didn't think to smell it but told me he still had the paper towel that he used and to take a whiff (I have the blessing/curse of having the nose of a bloodhound). No burnt smell whatsover on that but we will definitely go out tomorrow and get a better sample to smell.

There are some good transmission shops other than dealerships and AAMCO as many of those don’t honor others work. If you search this forum you will find some horror stories about them. Search recommended good ones out via YouTube, the internet and have your retired friend refer you to one for a complete check of pressures and fluid condition.

Sorry if I unintentionally misled but transmission guy more of a professional aquaintance via past vehicle repairs and not a friend, per se. We never had his personal # to call him outside of business but your point is still well taken, regardless. We never knew that this kind of transmission check existed and will definitely look into it!

You didn’t say what the mileage on the transmission is presently

157,700 currently on this transmission, we believe. (we are assuming the previous owners never rebuilt/replaced it.)

If you are over 200,000 miles of mountain driving and haven’t changed the fluid.

Since we live in southern NJ, many of the 55K miles we put on it was in flat areas or the smaller hills of the northeast with about 21,000 of those traveling around the west. The previous owners lived on Staten Island and the original owner in Connecticut so fortunately not much change of extreme mountainous driving.

I personally wouldn’t chance it without having a trusted shop completely check it out. If it is worn out it needs to be fixed or replaced simple as that. Without a good plan “B” you may end up living on the side of the road telling your sad story to some stranger begging for help in a very remote expensive part of the world.
I think Bullfrog !'s advice is good. I have a chevy 3500 with 225,000+ miles and I've had the transmission do a "thud" as you call it a few times in the last 40,000 miles. Its still going strong (knock on wood) so I wouldn't spend the money on a new transmission just because of the possibility.

That makes us feel both better that the thud is not the kiss of death but now we are even more undecided. o_O

Hubby is completely comfortable taking the chance because he doesn't remember feeling any thuds and the oil looks pretty good (it looks so good, in fact, that it is hard to believe it wasn't changed at some point before we bought it). This is surprising because he usually doesn't take risks like that. Also, it should be noted that I do the majority of driving and he isn't as sensitive to the unusual noises, smells, and vibrations as I am. And because I've felt those thuds enough, I definitely want to have it at least checked out.

Will look into finding a good shop to give it some good tests! Thanks everyone!

JonyJoe: Yeah, hubs was concerned about the diff fluid when we bought the van so that was one of the things he changed immediately after purchasing.

For what it's worth, I put the mechanics who advise against servicing a tranny on the same shelf as the mechanics who brag about never using a torque wrench. The exception would be if the transmission fluid was already extremely toasted

^^^Yep it is sorta like Toyotas lifetime trans fluid and transmissions with no drain plug. If it is so good warranty the transmission for 500,000 miles cause many of them go that far if you keep the fluids changed. Most owners today have accepted vehicles will at best last 250,000 miles and if the transmission lasts over 100,000 miles and goes bad it is time to buy a new vehicle rather than pay the cost to maintain the vehicle. Sad and wasteful in my opinion. The majority of my vehicles are kept till they can no longer operate safely usually at least 300,000 miles, usually about 15 years and were bought as low mileage used vehicles that have factory maintenance records or as projects to be restored if necessary. Yes I it is hard to find good used vehicles and a good mechanic to maintain your vehicle therefore costly but not as costly as buying a new vehicle every few years. The new lower cost electric vehicles will hopefully change things making transmissions as we know them a thing of the past.

Our van does not have a drain plug. Not sure if Chevy added them in later years---if we do have transmission serviced, we were thinking of having a pan installed with a drain plug included. But for now, we would have to drop the pan at every change.

I'm with you, Bullfrog. I don't understand the logic that a vehicle is ready for the salvage yard if the transmission goes out. Even if the engine blows out, it is still cheaper for us to replace/service than to purchase a newer used conversion van (buying a new van at our age since we don't live in it full time is out of the question). Body frame rust is the only enemy for us right now and even that can be curtailed or delayed in most circumstances..

For what it's worth, I put the mechanics who advise against servicing a tranny on the same shelf as the mechanics who brag about never using a torque wrench. The exception would be if the transmission fluid was already extremely toasted
I wish we would have just changed transmission oil when we purchased the van because we had absolutely no symptoms and the oil looked great. I know there is much debate about that topic in the mechanic world but it seems lately the consensus is shifting to change the oil in stages over a period of time unless, like you said, you want a little bit more time to run the vehicle as is.

The way I see it, when the oil is toasted and you have major symptoms, the tranny is on its last legs anyway and you are running on borrowed time.

Just a passing thought...

Contact your former, retired mechanic and ask him if he would be willing to do the transmission if YOU WENT DOWN TO HIM.

Find a place to camp nearby, and take a tent with you.

This bulletin is being revised to add the 2004 model year. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-07-30-042A (Section 07 - Transmission/Transaxle).

Some vehicles may exhibit a clunk noise that can be heard on a 2-3 upshift or a 3-2 downshift.
During a 2-3 upshift, the 2-4 band is released and the 3-4 clutch is applied. The timing of this shift can cause a momentary torque reversal of the output shaft that results in a clunk noise. This same torque reversal can also occur on a 3-2 downshift when the 3-4 clutch is released and the 2-4 band applied. This condition may be worse on a 4-wheel drive vehicle due to the additional tolerances in the transfer case.
This is a normal condition. No repairs should be attempted.

Date Reported MAY 01, 2005
NHTSA Reference #10017355
TSB Reference #050730012
Description: 4L60-E/4L65-E AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION 2-3 SHIFT CLUNK. *TT