Seeking advice on a Chevy Express / GMC Savana

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally found a Chevy dealer that accepted to put in an order for a Chevy Express 2500 extended 6.6L V8 with 6sp HD trans and rear diff locking. I specced it and the dealer will call me when the GM factory is ready to pull in my order. There was no deposit neded, dealer said when GM announces that my order is active i will have to deposit $1,000.- and when the van arrives (3-4 mo,) then we do financing and all that.

I also have the option to change my mind and he will refund the deposit, no questions asked.

According to my research, a concern is that these 6.6L engines are known to burn oil, even new, to me this would be a deal braker, I got rid of a new Subaru a few years ago because it burned 1qt per 1000 miles, dealer said it was "normal" - no, it's not. Anyway, I don't want to get into the same thing again with this Chevy,

Anybody has experienced oil consumption with the new 6.6L engine ?
Please advise.

Only on the older (1983) Lol!!! 454 cubic inch engine in my P32 chassis motorhome. Keeping them cool helped but still the valve seals would get heat soaked and crack letting oil seep by the valve stems. It used a quart of conventional 10W30 oil every 500 miles like clockwork. With basically no restrictions or catalytic converter to clog up never gave me any problems even after 100,000 miles. Pulled the distributor the other day as we are finally getting the old girl hauled off and the inside is spotless and shiny metal, not a sign of deposits. Modern engines running synthetic oil with modern emissions, burning oil would be a problem I would have thought the manufacturers would have addressed, maybe not! Just so you know Mercedes Benz accepted 1 quart of oil usage per 500 miles normal consumption years ago I believe. As a factory technician I let the salesman read it to the irate owner word for word out of the owner’s manual as I watched out of site around the corner. Great entertainment! Lol!!!

Last edited:
Finally found a Chevy dealer that accepted to put in an order for a Chevy Express 2500 extended 6.6L V8 with 6sp HD trans and rear diff locking. I specced it and the dealer will call me when the GM factory is ready to pull in my order. There was no deposit neded, dealer said when GM announces that my order is active i will have to deposit $1,000.- and when the van arrives (3-4 mo,) then we do financing and all that.

I also have the option to change my mind and he will refund the deposit, no questions asked.

According to my research, a concern is that these 6.6L engines are known to burn oil, even new, to me this would be a deal braker, I got rid of a new Subaru a few years ago because it burned 1qt per 1000 miles, dealer said it was "normal" - no, it's not. Anyway, I don't want to get into the same thing again with this Chevy,

Anybody has experienced oil consumption with the new 6.6L engine ?
Please advise.
If i was going with an extended wheelbase van, I would probably go with the 3500 extended, instead of the 2500 extended. Always gotta think about re-saleability. I'd also be curious to know how much this new van is going to cost you, $45k? I'm sure there are dealers still out there still going on about this "covid markup" non-sense.

Quote was around $43k, GM website with a similar van and specs was pretty close at about $41k.

Curious of why would a 3500 be bettwer on extended van ?

Re: oil consumption, no, it's not "normal" for a new engine to burn ANY quantity of oil. They are doing this for mpg, installing weak piston rings (especially the oil ring) to reduce internal friction in the engine so that the mpg will be marginally better. It's a stupid thing really.