Choosing to be Single and on the Road

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I'm fortunate in that my place, be it a dump, is all my own. The problem is the location. I have a great location. Right next door to a Dollar General store. 400 feet from a major road with a bus stop if I ever need to use public transportation. I'm in Pensacola which is a beach town. And Ive been in this house long enough to get comfortable. I have thought of selling out and getting a motor home and heading west but I have gotten so comfortable here in my falling down house that I'm not sure of what would be best for me.

Move into an RV park. Pensacola has several (I have been looking for a winter place in FL). If you push back a few miles from the beach, the monthly rent lowers. I have been looking places around I-10 line. We will be stopping for a few days in Holt so we can check out area parks. Hard to pick a place on the internet. I need to get eyes on Avalon Landing (Milton). The $405-$35 monthly rate is within my "budget" for site rent. But there may not be enough trees. We really miss trees. I did locate another (older) park near that one that might suit us better. Or we may end up on Mobile. Just don't know.

Thanks but if I sell the house and get a motor home, I don't think I'll want to hang around Pensacola. If I want to stay here in Florida, I'll just keep the house. The only expense I have for living here is 104.00 a year taxes plus utilities. I can always go off grid here if the utilities get too bad. I know a guy a few blocks away that is off the grid in his house.

WriterMs said:
Monogamy is something you think was forced on men?  

Just read the socks thread, too ... and many other posts over time discussing relationships. I can appreciate the humor in many of them. Yet there seems a lot of misogyny in general towards women from some members. Hmmmm. I guess we all carry baggage so maybe what I see here is a reflection of the general population?

Maybe I just need to avoid these topics or take a break.  :huh:

WriterMs, I sincerely apologize if you saw my post as in any way misogynistic or expressing hatred toward women. I mean it just the opposite. Monogomy is the main tool that civilization and religion use to make women subservient  

If each woman depends on just one man, that gives that man great power over her--unitl recent times, the power of life and death. She becomes dependent on him for protection and support. If he chooses to be abusive, she almost has no choice but to tolerate it because she depended on him.  While most men are not abusive, way to many are and women feel powerless to change anything so they just tolerated it. That is the hidden legacy of monogamy.

The reason we have all become so aware of abuse and started to break it's stranglehold over women is women gained empowerment after WW II and became less dependent on men and the sexual revolution of the 60s allowed women to take control over their bodies and demanded equality.  

Monogomy wasn't forced on men, it's something civilized men forced on women in order to control them. It's done a very good job.
bob

mockturtle said:
Interestingly, here in the west I think I've met at least as many solo women RV-ers as men.  It's not unusual, as many of us are widowed but choose to continue the lifestyle we enjoyed.  However, while traveling in the southeast, I found my solo lifestyle to be viewed with surprise and even alarm.  So, if you want to meet independent women, the west is the place.

That's an interesting anecdotal observation.  I'll have to do a Survey on this topic.  I just did a survey on Collapse Personality Profiles which shows that roughly 18% of people frequenting collapse websites are female.

Anybody got any idea what percentage of females participate on this forum?

RE

I don't know about the forum, but where I am right now there are 10 of us, 6 women and 4 men. In my gatherings, I'd say it was typically generally 50-50 or maybe 60-40 men to women.
Bob

So, the OP's questions were----- So the question, are you happy and fulfilled living the mobile life ? How long have you been at it ? Do you seeyourself continuing your present trend ? What would you have to say about your life ?

Yes, I'm happy and overfilled in the mobile life. Off and on since 1972. Continuing? Absolutely, why would I change ideal? My life has been through so many phases preparing me for this one and for that I'm so very grateful. I'm having fun and meeting interesting people and dogs!

I, too, am happy and content with my solo life on the road. No intention whatsoever of changing it.

The reason Mayberry was so peaceful and quiet was because nobody was married - Andy, Aunt Bea, Barney, Floyd, Howard, Goober, Gomer, Sam, Earnest T Bass, Helen, Thelma Lou, Clara, and of course Opie - all single.

The only married person was Otis, and he stayed drunk.

I have been married, raised 3 children, helped raise 2 of my 6 grand children, and have been single for many years now. I have dated, but have been hesitant to go into a living together or marriage situation because I knew I wanted to live differently than most people and all of the men I have dated try to change me and want me to stay in one place. They don't get me.

If I have to give up me to be with someone then I don't want it. Should I meet someone in the future who is into this nomadic lifestyle then sure, I would like that I guess, but if not, then I am content staying single.

On the flip side, I see several people have posted wanting to find someone and got no response (other threads in this area). I also saw they had no pic of themselves (you need a pic if posting for a relationship imo) and they didn't offer a compelling case to get a response. If I were to actively seek to meet someone, I would attend events like RTR, travel more with groups, and be in a situation to meet someone in the lifestyle while doing what I loved and do by myself anyway. That way, you get to see them living their life, get to know them without "dating" per say, and a friendship can blossom into more if the spark is there. Just my 2 cents worth :)

I've often wondered about the controlling, changing thing. It isn't the exclusive property of either sex but does seem to be more often the tendency of the male. When the lady resists being changed and manipulated she suddenly becomes a raving b---h. That is not to say that it doesn't work both ways, it surely does. I think this comes from insecurity, if I can control her/him I am in control in my world. The thing that we all learned growing up, get an education, get a job, get a spouse, get some debt, get a house, get some kids and you'll be happy ever after. When it doesn't work out that way, get some anger, get some liquor, get some drugs, get some misery. I'm in no way saying everyone's life follows that road map, but too many do. Learn to know yourself, love yourself and you will not only be happier, you will be a better friend, companion, confidant.

This is why I will be a solo traveler forever. I have too much fun singing in a vehicle. Road trip anyone??? :p

****51 second clip for those with data usage****

[video=youtube]

I was married to the love of my life for 40 years and am not anti-marriage by any means. I just don't want another one at this stage of my life.

buckwilk said:
I've often wondered about the controlling, changing thing.

My first wife married me for what she thought she could mold me into. She actually told me that, after our divorce. When she realized she was not going to be able to manipulate me into becoming what she really wanted: That's when the problems started.

DH and I have had a good run, not far from 50 years. He is a good man and I am a good woman. We have reached the agreements we needed to reach and enjoy each other's company. Life together is good. That being said, if both DH and our dog died tomorrow, I would get a new dog.

I am old. I am set in my ways. I have my own financial resources. I like my own company. I do not have the time or the energy or the patience to break in a new man.

This time is for me to recharge.  If I meet someone, so much the better, but I am not pushing.  I am enjoying the little things.

Attachments

• With Tessalyn.jpg
    With Tessalyn.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 32
I am a married man that is single ( the most dangerous type) we have a separate arrangement these past 8 years. I pay all the bills she gets the bedroom. I figure where in San Francisco can I rent that is cheaper than buying this house the answer is nowhere , the only problem with that is I do not like living in San Francisco any more, and the only problem with that is the house across the street sold for 1.4 million. My mortgage is 1100. I either need a good psyciotrist or just walk/drive away and go into foreclosure. It is still very amicable between us like buddies, it's complicated . She is very loving and caring but we do have a distinct separation when her severe Menopause kicked in I had to give her A LOTTA SPACE. AM I SPILLING MY GUTS HERE OR WHAT, I am OK with the arrangement for now and manage . Thanks for letting me bend yer ears. you guys get me thinking about a lot of girlie stuff again I may bring my pink pajamas
AGAIN

I've read some medical research that says women's hormones during their fertile period spend a LOT of time trying to convince her to find a mate, procreate, and 'give in' to said mate in order to ensure the offspring are provided for. Menopause hits, those hormones go away, and the woman asks herself what the !$%^@# she's been doing putting up with this @#&(%^%$# for all these years. Many post-menopausal women feel like they spent their adult life in a foggy daze and only now are they waking up to 'themselves' again.