cargo trailer?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoulRaven

Reaction score
I have been planning on getting a 13' Scamp travel trailer.  However, my plans were decimated by getting laid-off.    :s   I wanted to work another year and a half to pay for the Scamp; now I'm looking at getting something like a Haulmark Cargo trailer, and customizing it (adding to it) as time and money allow.  

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding brands of cargo trailer that are better/best?  I can just about afford a 6x12 cargo trailer with my retirement "bonus"... ~$5k

I have a wonderful 2001 F150 with only 55k miles on it, that was owned by a friends cousin, who literally drove it to church on Sundays... so, I'm looking to stick with that. 
Hence, the cargo trailer idea. 

I appreciate any help in advance.. 

Thanks,

Pat

Pat that's aweful that your plans were trashed by a layoff. I too had thought about the cargo trailer route...even had one quoted with windows and an rv door and roof rack for solar. For what you get Pat, they are one of the most expensive ways to go, IMO.
This is the perfect time of year to be looking for a small bumper pull camper. Why now? The season is over for most and it's easier for many to sell theirs cheap rather than store it, especially if they have plans to upgrade or just plain didn't use it. Why a camper vs. cargo trailer build? It's all there and ready to go, or modify to your hearts content. Also by going this route you can get out there and get a feel for it with a minimal time and effort investment.
After looking at cargo trailers and dreaming about how to build one out, we found a beautiful, lightly used 19' camper at a local rv dealer that has clearance sales twice a year. They had just taken it in on trade and we picked it up for less than $4k. The trailer I was spec'ing out was gonna be $6k. We spent three months in it last winter and came home with plans for mods that would make it better suited for our boondocking needs.
Maybe you need stealth ability, in which case please disregard my thoughts. However if you don't need stealth, you could potentially save some money and time with a camper.
However you realize your dream of the "vandwelling" life, I wish you the best of luck and safe travels.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear about your getting laid-off. I currently am living in my cargo trailer. I have been for, oh hell since February or March. I own a 2016 freedom 12x7 with a 4" Dexter drop Axelrod that has electric drum breaks and a rear drop door. I would strongly recommend that you spend the money on the 7' wide model as it makes for a much better bed setup, also the mirrors on my Crown Victoria can see around it and they are stock. Yes, I pull this with a car, my car has a 4.6L V8 in it so yes it has plenty of power. When I looked at trailers I found that there really was not that much difference in quality and in came down to the axle and the frame. Dexter is not the best but is good for my needs (I need the lower height) how ever I don't like having drum breaks and plan to upgrade to disk next summer. Also torsion bars (they help keep the trailer from swaying) are a planed addition. I strongly suggest you not to be concerned with the interior looks as you will want to put insulation in the walls and ceiling. Also I found that in the state I lived at the time that it was cheaper to purchase it from out of state and have it shipped to me via UShip. I hope this helps in your considerations.

I too advocate a used travel trailer.
Buying a $5000 cargo trailer to maybe someday convert to a camper may not be your wisest purchase......

For $5000 you can get something decent.
Keep your eyes open and be willing to travel to pick it up.

Here's an older listing for $4,900 probably gone but just shows what $5000 will buy you.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f53/1992-13-casita-75968.html

Daily Browse trailer sites such
as fiberglassrv.com
Craigs list
Ebay etc
Looking for anything that suits your needs.

Dave

Oh, I forgot, I bought mine new and paid a little over $4,000 for it. I strongly advise against a used trailer as most do not maintain them and just use it once or twice a year. With new you will get a warranty and can get things like drop doors or skylight or roof rack added.

I agree that if you look around a little you can find a good camping trailer for under 5k. there is nothing wrong with buying used a trailer, it only has wheel bearings, spring bushings and brakes to maintain. cargo trailers are expensive for what you get. Dexter axles are considered top of the line and made in the USA. barn doors are more versatile then ramp doors unless you specifically need the ramp. highdesertranger

Wow those things are expensive for what you get. Just a opinion but wow.

Thanks for all the replies, you've all given me a lot to think about ... 

Part of my issue is that , although I'm getting a small retirement package from my employer, my last day is next Friday.  Unless something amazing drops into my lap (it HAS happened before, so I don't discount the possibility)... I need to move with something quick ... I will not be able to afford to live in my apartment after Jan 1.  

So, that's why I'm thinking I CAN get a cargo trailer and I CAN sleep in it.   But I will pay attention and see what's available.  I would prefer a Scamp or Casita, absolutely. 

So, thanks again to everyone. 

Pat

pnolans said:
I have been planning on getting a 13' Scamp travel trailer.  However, my plans were decimated by getting laid-off.    :s   I wanted to work another year and a half to pay for the Scamp; now I'm looking at getting something like a Haulmark Cargo trailer, and customizing it (adding to it) as time and money allow.  

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding brands of cargo trailer that are better/best?  I can just about afford a 6x12 cargo trailer with my retirement "bonus"... ~$5k

I have a wonderful 2001 F150 with only 55k miles on it, that was owned by a friends cousin, who literally drove it to church on Sundays... so, I'm looking to stick with that. 
Hence, the cargo trailer idea. 

I appreciate any help in advance.. 

Thanks,

Pat
You're shopping at the wrong place if a 6x12 is costing 5K. Just saying. 

http://www.usacargotrailersales.com/virtuemart/7-wide/7x12-tandem-axle-detail.html

http://www.usacargotrailersales.com/virtuemart/6-wide.html

Pat, you might want to look at the fiberglassrv.com forum if you like the Scamps. There have been many other brands made for years that have the same things the scamps have. They have a place where many list them for sale. You should be able to pick up something used at a reasonable price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why I chose a cargo trailer and not a used travel trailer.

1) It'll weigh a tremendous amount less. 1500-2000 pounds versus 4500-7000. Over the long run that's going to mean many more tow vehicle repairs and MUCH more in gas for a full-timer.
2) MUCH more durable and reliable. Most economy travel trailers are garbage right off the dealers lot. Start planning for your new roof the day you buy it.
3) All those systems in any RV will cost much more to maintain over the long haul. The older it is, the more money it will suck up.
4) 1000 times better in the back-country!
5) Blank slate to turn into exactly what you want, no more than you want, no less.
6) Can be insulated a million times better than any cheap old RV. No drafts or freezing your butt off!

If you want all the comforts of an RV, then it will cost more to install them in a cargo trailer that a cheap used one. But it's a false economy because the extremely poor quality of most RVs will cost more in the long run. A $4000 used trailer is going to be a very heavy money-pit. While a new $3000 cargo trailer will be trouble free for decades--the roof should never leak. After 6 years mine only cost me a new set of (small and cheap) tires, two of them and not 4 or 8.

akrvbob said:
Why I chose a cargo trailer and not a used travel trailer.

1) It'll weigh a tremendous amount less. 1500-2000 pounds versus 4500-7000. Over the long run that's going to mean many more tow vehicle repairs and MUCH more in gas for a full-timer.
2) MUCH more durable and reliable. Most economy travel trailers are garbage right off the dealers lot. Start planning for your new roof the day you buy it.
3) All those systems in any RV will cost much more to maintain over the long haul. The older it is, the more money it will suck up.
4) 1000 times better in the back-country!
5) Blank slate to turn into exactly what you want, no more than you want, no less.
6) Can be insulated a million times better than any cheap old RV. No drafts or freezing your butt off!

If you want all the comforts of an RV, then it will cost more to install them in a cargo trailer that a cheap used one. But it's a false economy because the extremely poor quality of most RVs will cost more in the long run. A $4000 used trailer is going to be a very heavy money-pit. While a new $3000 cargo trailer will be trouble free for decades--the roof should never leak. After 6 years mine only cost me a new set of (small and cheap) tires, two of them and not 4 or 8.

Senor Bob, 

do you have a single axle?  Did you have it lifted?  I would LIKE to be able to take mine to trailheads , if I can.  Some of those roads up to trailhead are pretty rough.  And there are a lot of "jeep roads" here in Colorado that I would like to explore.  I assumed I would just have to leave the F150 / trailer at a friends house and take the 1998 Jeep Cherokee to the really rough roads.  (he'll be keeping some of my stuff in his garage and I'll be parking my Jeep there)

Again, 

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I must need more coffee.... I re-read Bob's message , realized you had already answered a question I asked... but could't see how to edit it.

disregard my question regarding the "single axle" please.   I AM still interested in you had it lifted, or if that's even an option ... 
I wouldn't mind knowing what brand you got on the trailer, if you feel that makes a difference.   I'm looking at a few websites at their prices. 

Also, I wanted to mention that your item #4 regarding the backcountry is one I am very interested in myself.

Thanks,

Pat

if you want to lift it stay away from torsion axles. if you want to drive it off road stay away from torsion axles. leaf spring axles are simple, easy to lift, and are 100% serviceable. highdesertranger

I got a 2004 27' Travel trailer for $3100. I've been living in it full time now for almost two months.....in my driveway while i do work on my house. So far it's far exceeded my expectations in every way. Two nights ago we had some of the hardest rains i've experienced in a long time that lasted for a few hours and it rained steadily over two days. Not a single leak, so I was very happy about that. Mine is insulated, albeit i'm sure not very well. It does heat up and hold heat surprisingly well. Coldest i've been in it so far is 29 degrees.

Now all that being said, I would much rather buy a cargo trailer and convert it. I've owned several cargo trailers over the years for my construction business and everything about their construction is better, they tow better and converting it, I can put everything in it where I want and only have what I need. The travel trailer I bought has twice as many features as I'd want, a layout I don't particularly care for and i've only used it sitting still in one spot, it's not something i'd enjoy towing or want to tow all over the country.

ZoNiE said:
X2. Should be less than $3K new.

Cargo Trailers are a little more durable than travel trailers, but you will spend a lot of time and money outfitting it and still not have something as nice as a finished travel trailer.

Understood... but I don't HAVE to outfit it to sleep in it... I can add when I can afford to... Who knows?  I might try it for a year and decide I want a conversion van or something else!  After I retire, I'll have an AWFUL lot of time on my hands... and I won't have a brick and mortar abode.  I will be close enough to friends with workshops and tools... and at least one of them can use the company!  He's a retired widower living on SSA and in the middle of BFE.   

Thanks,  

Pat