cargo trailer?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mothercoder said:
It's really very interesting reading the different opinions on this and it makes it tougher to make a decision.  I've been bouncing around between a camper trailer, molded fiberglass and converting a cargo trailer.  Love molded fiberglass but they are as rare as bucktoothed monkey out here and they sell within hours.  I can find camper trailers in my price range that look good now but they all feel so cheap to me.  And as some have said, a cargo trailer seems like a lot for what you get in the basic package but that's comparing it to an assembly line camper and you know that cargo trailer is going to last a hell of a lot longer.  I'm a 62 year old woman and I need some comfort but it doesn't have to come in the form of a complete bathroom and holding tanks.  As a matter of fact, I'm just as happy not to have to deal with holding tanks.

This discussion has convinced me to price out customizations to a cargo trailer.  And thanks for the link for US Cargo trailer sales.  Locally the trailers are more expensive and they won't customize to even put in a couple windows and barn doors.  WeeRoll was supposed to send me a quote last Friday but I haven't heard a thing.  So I'm gonna check these guys out.  What I have on my side is time.

I've had my 6x12 since December, 2016.   I often feel envious when I see other's travel trailers.  ON THE OTHER HAND, there's a lot to be said about doing it yourself (and that includes paying people to do some or even a lot of the work for you).  In addition, there are so many helpful and creative people here on this forum and in the "tribe", that it can be a lot easier.  

I still have a long way to go, some of that is controlled by my budget.  

The truth as I see it:  It would be hard to go wrong either way.  If you get a used travel trailer, try to find an expert to help you pick out a good one.  

my $0.02

Pat

Queen said:
Yep, I put more detail in the reply above.

We got one that someone else had ordered and never picked up, for $1500, got the second one for my honey in last years color for $1700.  It seems like a ton of money for a chair, but they last a lifetime and are seriously comfortable and supportive.  I've slept in mine for many weeks over different surgeries.

I am planning for a cargo trailer conversion.  I am sure one of those chairs are on the upper end of the comfort scale but I found a camp chair that applies the same principles.  https://www.strongbackchair.com/  It has excellent lumbar support and the seat is tilted back to throw your weight into the good lumbar support.  Considerably cheaper from the website than anywhere else and ~15% cheaper around a holiday. I paid ~$85 for my last chair. Some sort of foot stool or ottoman is added comfort.  I have no affiliation with these people.  Just happy to find a chair that I can get out of and NOT "grunt".

I am still in search mode for my cargo trailer.  Saving money not wanting to finance.

There wasn't much information on the Bravo trailer website as far as customization and costs. I've requested additional information. There's a great deal of information on the US Cargo Trailer site. The trouble is trying to determine what I want/need them to do. Plus there are options I am not sure I understand. Examples:
1) spare time mount - on tongue or recessed compartment
2) Do I want the "Pro Package:" radial tires, .030 gauge, led strip lights, 16" oc floors, RV side door, barlock, thermocool, stabilizer jacks, 6 floor D-rings? Some of these I had checked off (radial tires, RV side door, thermocool, stabilizer jacks) but wasn't sure whether the other items were worth the package deal
3) Fold down stabilizer jacks or scissor jacks
4) Do I want side vents
5) They will add overhead cabinets and base cabinets in the V-nose for $1300. I'm no carpenter so I'd have to pay someone to do it but would I be able to get it done cheaper
6) Do I want an electric tongue jack
7) Electric package: 2 receptacles, 1 switch, 2 4" lights, 60 amp box with life line; do I also want the LED full package and a porch light
8) Do I want an extended tongue

And then there's the "Beast Package:" 7,000 lb torsion axles, 12" oc floors, Led exterior light package, led dual taillights, extended tongue, 16" radial tires, red & white reflective tape, .030 gauge for $1,700. Worth it?

I would also need to have them set it up so that I can have a propane line coming in and I'm not sure how that would be done.

And I have to remember that even once this is completed, I still need to create my living space: bed, sink, porta-potty, clothing and supply storage, propane tank and line, battery(ies), solar if there's money left over.

Also check with Wells Cargo. They have 4 (I think) manufacturing plants and once you pick the basic model you want from the wide variety they have, you can customize it to your hearts content. And don't be afraid to ask for something you don't see.

I'm on my second W/C trailer and seriously recommend them. They're well built, tow like a dream and withstand everything but the worst accident.

My first trailer was a 15' x 7' box with an inside height of 8'. I had gray water tank, concession windows and a side slide window built in along with moving the man door to the front. Oh and the basic electric hook up package. There wasn't anything I wanted that I didn't get and without any goof ups either.

Yes, they're might be a little bit more than a Pace but IMO, well worth it.

The side vents are designed for trailers that haul gasoline powered equipment and gas cans.  One is located on one side, high up and facing forward, the other is on the other side, down low and facing back.  They ventilate any gasoline fumes out of the trailer as you're driving down the road with them open.

As for stabilizer jacks or scissor jacks, if you don't have a pair on the back to stabilize things, the trailer will bounce up and down on the springs as you walk around in it.  I'm not sure they would be needed on the front, the tongue jack gives you three contact points. Still, someone with more experience than I may contradict that.

BTW, just in case you're not aware of it, there is an extremely active sub-forum over on the Teardrops and Tiny Travel Trailers forum.  Currently, a little over 1800 separate threads.  A few days there will answer lots of questions and give you many, many ideas as to how a cargo trailer can be fitted out.

http://www.tnttt.com/viewforum.php?f=42&sid=25a3815b9833fe3ce6ea4ea9b1c09a01

mothercoder said:
There wasn't much information on the Bravo trailer website as far as customization and costs.  I've requested additional information.  There's a great deal of information on the US Cargo Trailer site.  The trouble is trying to determine what I want/need them to do.  Plus there are options I am not sure I understand.  Examples:  
1) spare time mount - on tongue or recessed compartment

On the tongue, recessed will take up room inside and you'll have to leave access to it. Could screw up a good interior layout.

2) Do I want the "Pro Package:"  radial tires, .030 gauge, led strip lights, 16" oc floors, RV side door, barlock, thermocool, stabilizer jacks, 6 floor D-rings?  Some of these I had checked off (radial tires, RV side door, thermocool, stabilizer jacks) but wasn't sure whether the other items were worth the package deal

I'd pass on a package, you'll always get stuff you don't need. If they offer it as part of a package, they will also offer it separately.

3) Fold down stabilizer jacks or scissor jacks

I'd go with scissor jacks
4) Do I want side vents

Not unless you're not planning on adding any windows - Personally, I couldn't live without a view on all sides - windows, large windows...lol.
5) They will add overhead cabinets and base cabinets in the V-nose for $1300.  I'm no carpenter so I'd have to pay someone to do it but would I be able to get it done cheaper

I'd have to look closely at the cabinet package and assess whether the cabinets are designed for what I want to use them for.
6) Do I want an electric tongue jack

Maybe...what kind of shape are you in physically and are there disabilities that would limit you cranking the tongue jack up and down yourself....Me I look at it as exercise
7) Electric package: 2 receptacles, 1 switch, 2 4" lights, 60 amp box with life line; do I also want the LED full package and a porch light

Again, a package may or may  not be a good deal for you. If you haven't designed the final layout of your interior yet, then I'd pass. It's murphy's law that wherever they put things, they'll be in the wrong spot once you've got the interior laid out.

8) Do I want an extended tongue.

Maybe - if you need the space for spare tire AND propane tanks, it may be the only way to go. Some people also mount a single battery up front but you might need more electrical than 1 battery so a bank would have to go inside.

Also, depending on how good the manufacturer is (or not so good), a longer tongue can alter the way a trailer tows.

And then there's the "Beast Package:"  7,000 lb torsion axles, 12" oc floors, Led exterior light package, led dual taillights, extended tongue, 16" radial tires, red & white reflective tape, .030 gauge for $1,700.  Worth it?  

I'd say no, it looks like it's meant more for someone planning on hauling a trailer full of bikes, serious weight hauling.

I would also need to have them set it up so that I can have a propane line coming in and I'm not sure how that would be done.  

And I have to remember that even once this is completed, I still need to create my living space: bed, sink, porta-potty, clothing and supply storage, propane tank and line, battery(ies), solar if there's money left over.

Answers in blue above!

Optimistic Paranoid said:
The side vents are designed for trailers that haul gasoline powered equipment and gas cans.  One is located on one side, high up and facing forward, the other is on the other side, down low and facing back.  They ventilate any gasoline fumes out of the trailer as you're driving down the road with them open.

As for stabilizer jacks or scissor jacks, if you don't have a pair on the back to stabilize things, the trailer will bounce up and down on the springs as you walk around in it.  I'm not sure they would be needed on the front, the tongue jack gives you three contact points. Still, someone with more experience than I may contradict that.

BTW, just in case you're not aware of it, there is an extremely active sub-forum over on the Teardrops and Tiny Travel Trailers forum.  Currently, a little over 1800 separate threads.  A few days there will answer lots of questions and give you many, many ideas as to how a cargo trailer can be fitted out.

http://www.tnttt.com/viewforum.php?f=42&sid=25a3815b9833fe3ce6ea4ea9b1c09a01

Thanks!  I'm perusing that now.  :)

Ballenxj said:
Since this thread seems to have attracted folk that are knowledgeable about cargo trailers, what are your thoughts about Pace American brand cargo trailers?

I had one for 15 years (sold it last summer) that i used as my race trailer but also doubled as a camper when needed.
Pace was always rated at the top end for quality and value, which is why i bought it back in '01.

However, the original company fell on hard times and folded. The assets including the 'name' was purchased and 'Pace American' trailers today are not the same as they once were. I don't have info on current build quality, but keep in mind this history when asking around about 'Pace' trailers.

From the current Pace American web site:

"Are You an Existing Pace Customer?
We are here to support our Customers! Fill out the form below and we’ll get right back to you.

Notice: To all owners of Pace American trailers built prior to January 2012
Pace American Industries Inc. went into bankruptcy in September of 2011 and ceased operations. In November of 2011 LGS Industries d/b/a LOOK Trailers purchased the intellectual property and select assets at a bankruptcy liquidation auction. In January of 2012 LGS Industries Inc., began producing products under the brand name Pace American.

The current company operating as Pace American did not purchase the previous liabilities and warranties of products produced prior to January 2012. The organization will make every effort to help assist the former Pace American customers; however, they will not offer the following items as they pertain to your trailer, warranty, recall letters, manufacturer statements of origin. Additionally we are unable to search for information on products produced by the previous ownership. Those records are not available to us."

johnny b said:
Notice: To all owners of Pace American trailers built prior to January 2012
Pace American Industries Inc. went into bankruptcy in September of 2011 and ceased operations. In November of 2011 LGS Industries d/b/a LOOK Trailers purchased the intellectual property and select assets at a bankruptcy liquidation auction. In January of 2012 LGS Industries Inc., began producing products under the brand name Pace American.
<----snip---->
The current company operating as Pace American did not purchase the previous liabilities and warranties of products produced prior to January 2012. The organization will make every effort to help assist the former Pace American customers; however, they will not offer the following items as they pertain to your trailer, warranty, recall letters, manufacturer statements of origin. Additionally we are unable to search for information on products produced by the previous ownership. Those records are not available to us."
Thanks, I have a 2013 6x10 Pace American with a V- Nose. (I think it's a 2013, I'll have to look) It seems well built, but I wanted others opinions here since I'm no expert.
Sounds like mine was made by the new owners, and I hope they develop a good reputation.

I saw this project recently and thought I'd mention it here.

It was a home built Cargo Trailer based on a Harbor Freight trailer kit.

1720 LB capacity trailer kit.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1720-lb-capacity-48-in-x-96-in-super-duty-folding-trailer-62671.html

maxresdefault.jpg

with a pointed nose

images

and finished

custom-mini-camper-exterior.jpg

I could see using pressure treated lumber and ply wood on the bottom, and build up from there. 

I would imagine a resourceful person could put something like this together for under $1000 dollars using some recycled materials.   Then have something that would serve their needs dependably. 

I'm just amazed at the cost of some of the Trailers I see.  My guess is that they figure Contractors are buying them as Capital Equipment where their accountants will write them off the books in 5 years.   By then there won't be much left of them from what I've seen.   The metal Horse Trailers may be more durable and able to carry the weight.

LOL   :)

Women were building these things during WW2

1200px-Color_Photographed_B-17E_in_Flight.jpg

8b07919v.jpg

A little ol' utility trailer would be a piece of cake wouldn't it.    I'd bet a group of women could build that trailer in an afternoon once they were shown how to build the first one.

For the record, Harbor Freight is crap.

In this case, specifically, the trailers are bolted together with nuts and bolts, and people report that no matter how much they tighten them, they shake loose going down the road.  Some people do try to use them as the basis of teardrop trailers, and they end up having to weld them together.

Also, note that these things only have 12 inch tires.

I like redneck engineering, but the guy who built THAT was seriously deranged . . .

There are better built trailers and many have them custom fabricated by using the guides on the tntt site. They do cost more. If light weight is the primary concern there are some really nice aluminum flatbed utility trailers for between $2,000 to $3,000 that would be pretty much a life time quality solution. Welded steel trailers with 15 inch tires run from $700 to $1500 depending on size, actually cheaper if lighter frames are used. 12 inch tires at max load usually give me about 3,000 to 4,000 miles before tread dept goes away. Harbor Freight replacement tires mounted on wheels are less than $150 a set, as I only move the trailer 3,000 miles a year they work fine. It is easy to buy larger axle/ hub/ tire assembly and have a better trailer fabricated that try to improve on the little red trailer. Some of us are starting to build removable campers so we can use or swap trailers as need be as these campers once unloaded are light enough to do that. tntt site covers every thing you need to know even if all you can do is hold a paint brush you can build a foamie. A cargo trailer can be just a box sitting on a trailer after all. Most people who build out a cargo trailer start with an empty box any way I have two built in twin beds. I have a fairly heavy steel trailer with an 80" wide, 11' foot long, 6' 2" tall box that doesn't leak, has 2 doors and a vent that I tow with a 4 cylinder 4 x 4 Tacoma. Everything total has cost less than $2,000.

mothercoder said:
Thanks for the build thread.  Wow, the ProLine trailers are twice as expensive as US Cargo!  I haven't compared details yet to see why that would be so.

I don't know much about US Cargo, although I just checked its website and also Cargo Mate trailers....they are both Forest River companies.

Cargo Mate is the maker of the "Serenity" horror story. :(

Just saying.

Proline only builds aluminum products, which by itself adds about 30-40% to the price.

Featherlite and Worthington are two more premium priced aluminum trailer companies I've looked at, but also probably not what your after.

I wish i could help more with information.
Someone mentioned Bravo trailers....a friend had one for a while and it was very nice, but it was also a 35 foot 5th wheel with three axles...I'd like to think their smaller models are as good a quality. Don't know their cost.

Wells Cargo has always had a good reputation.

Haulmark, which is common here in the DC area, I would rate as medium in quality and user satisfaction.

That's about all i've got.

Good luck.