cargo trailer?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pnolans said:
Senor Bob, 

do you have a single axle?  Did you have it lifted?  I would LIKE to be able to take mine to trailheads , if I can.  Some of those roads up to trailhead are pretty rough.  And there are a lot of "jeep roads" here in Colorado that I would like to explore.  I assumed I would just have to leave the F150 / trailer at a friends house and take the 1998 Jeep Cherokee to the really rough roads.  (he'll be keeping some of my stuff in his garage and I'll be parking my Jeep there)

I had a 6x10 single axle, no lift but it has pretty good ground clearance. No, it isn't going everywhere your Jeep can go, but I've been very happy with where it goes. BUT, I leave it home in the summer because its too big a pain in the butt. I do NOT want to go a couple miles down a bad road and find out I have to back it out so I leave it home. Im very happy living in just the van.

The bigger issue with them is the height and width of RVs, In most National Forests that will stop you long before most roads will. They become overgrown and are very twisted. The road may be flat and smooth, but no RV is going down it because it is too narrow and branches have grown over and down. My girlfriend had a 29 foot Class C and the road rarely stops us, it's the trees and brush. 

However, I've got that effing van stuck so many times, as soon as I've got the money together, it's gone for a 4x4 truck. 
Bob

akrvbob said:
I had a 6x10 single axle, no lift but it has pretty good ground clearance. No, it isn't going everywhere your Jeep can go, but I've been very happy with where it goes. BUT, I leave it home in the summer because its too big a pain in the butt. I do NOT want to go a couple miles down a bad road and find out I have to back it out so I leave it home. Im very happy living in just the van.

The bigger issue with them is the height and width of RVs, In most National Forests that will stop you long before most roads will. They become overgrown and are very twisted. The road may be flat and smooth, but no RV is going down it because it is too narrow and branches have grown over and down. My girlfriend had a 29 foot Class C and the road rarely stops us, it's the trees and brush. 

However, I've got that effing van stuck so many times, as soon as I've got the money together, it's gone for a 4x4 truck. 
Bob

As far as the height and width, I totally agree with that.  Many of my friends just pull converted Ford Ranger pickup beds for large tents and such.  I WAS considering doing parts of the Mojave Road.  In that case, the height would not be a factor.  I've never been there, but I would think the width of a 6x10 would not be too much of a factor either.   

As always, your comments are greatly appreciated.

Pat

Pat, just got back from hunting and saw this thread. Bummer about the layoff. Since you're leaning this way I'd encourage you to come look at my trailer and maybe even tow it with your truck to get a feel for it. I bought my trailer used, but barely for about 1/2 the price of a new one right off our local Craig's List. I currently have less than $5K in it, will have just a bit over once I complete the solar and get a 12V fridge. Just PM me and we can arrange a time. I only live about 15 miles or so from where we last met.

And I built a cargo trailer VS buying a used travel trailer for most of the same reasons Bob laid out. Also, I could lay it out however I wanted. So far I don't regret that decision a bit. I've been in numerous travel trailers since, and I always come away with one of two, or both realizations. 1: most are built very cheaply using junk products, and 2: they are pretty much all bigger than my 6x12, but the layout doesn't work nearly as well - you always have to move something to get to something else, and if someone is with you it seems like you always are in each others way. I don't have that issue in mine when traveling with my wife or one of my sons. We even went on one trip with my wife and a son and a dog and didn't have an issue. Of course the son slept in a tent, but hung out with us in the trailer when the weather was bad.

masterplumber said:
Pat, just got back from hunting and saw this thread. Bummer about the layoff. Since you're leaning this way I'd encourage you to come look at my trailer and maybe even tow it with your truck to get a feel for it. I bought my trailer used, but barely for about 1/2 the price of a new one right off our local Craig's List. I currently have less than $5K in it, will have just a bit over once I complete the solar and get a 12V fridge. Just PM me and we can arrange a time. I only live about 15 miles or so from where we last met.

And I built a cargo trailer VS buying a used travel trailer for most of the same reasons Bob laid out. Also, I could lay it out however I wanted. So far I don't regret that decision a bit. I've been in numerous travel trailers since, and I always come away with one of two, or both realizations. 1: most are built very cheaply using junk products, and 2: they are pretty much all bigger than my 6x12, but the layout doesn't work nearly as well - you always have to move something to get to something else, and if someone is with you it seems like you always are in each others way. I don't have that issue in mine when traveling with my wife or one of my sons. We even went on one trip with my wife and a son and a dog and didn't have an issue. Of course the son slept in a tent, but hung out with us in the trailer when the weather was bad.

Thanks... I will take you up on that.  Right now, I'm juggling moving out of my apartment with trying to get ready to travel.  I'll end up staying at a friends place SW of Pueblo for a month or 2.   I'll PM you later on.  

Thanks,

Pat

I can agree on what Bob says about the roads. What I take our trailer over already requires 4x4 low, I can't see it getting much rougher before you would tear up a utility trailer. How far from Denver are you? I have a short bed pick up trailer that is lifted for use as a hunters trailer. Now this thing is really lifted and would follow your jeep where ever you wanted it to go.

jimindenver said:
I can agree on what Bob says about the roads. What I take our trailer over already requires 4x4 low, I can't see it getting much rougher before you would tear up a utility trailer. How far from Denver are you? I have a short bed pick up trailer that is lifted for use as a hunters trailer. Now this thing is really lifted and would follow your jeep where ever you wanted it to go.

Hi, Jim, I'm in Colorado Springs... Denver is just a hop and skip from here.  :)

akrvbob said:

Bob

Not trying to be a jerk Bob, but it looks like you may have changed your mind about cargo trailers seeing your latest couple of videos about vans.

rwdyeriii said:
Not trying to be a jerk Bob, but it looks like you may have changed your mind about cargo trailers seeing your latest couple of videos about vans.
Or about the 4x4 truck, anyway. :p

Not really, I never took it into the National Forests as it was too limiting. I just used it in the desert in the few spots I stayed at for the winter. I finally decided why keep it for just the few months of the winter when I was perfectly happy with just the van the rest of the year.

They do allow you much more comfort, but that is a low priority for me.

I still would have preferred a 4x4 pickup, but they are so much more expensive to buy, run and maintain than a van that I decided to just stick with a van. At some point I will add a locker to the rear which will get me as far into the backcountry as I really want to go.

It's really very interesting reading the different opinions on this and it makes it tougher to make a decision. I've been bouncing around between a camper trailer, molded fiberglass and converting a cargo trailer. Love molded fiberglass but they are as rare as bucktoothed monkey out here and they sell within hours. I can find camper trailers in my price range that look good now but they all feel so cheap to me. And as some have said, a cargo trailer seems like a lot for what you get in the basic package but that's comparing it to an assembly line camper and you know that cargo trailer is going to last a hell of a lot longer. I'm a 62 year old woman and I need some comfort but it doesn't have to come in the form of a complete bathroom and holding tanks. As a matter of fact, I'm just as happy not to have to deal with holding tanks.

This discussion has convinced me to price out customizations to a cargo trailer. And thanks for the link for US Cargo trailer sales. Locally the trailers are more expensive and they won't customize to even put in a couple windows and barn doors. WeeRoll was supposed to send me a quote last Friday but I haven't heard a thing. So I'm gonna check these guys out. What I have on my side is time.

mothercoder said:
It's really very interesting reading the different opinions on this and it makes it tougher to make a decision.  I've been bouncing around between a camper trailer, molded fiberglass and converting a cargo trailer.  Love molded fiberglass but they are as rare as bucktoothed monkey out here and they sell within hours.  I can find camper trailers in my price range that look good now but they all feel so cheap to me.  And as some have said, a cargo trailer seems like a lot for what you get in the basic package but that's comparing it to an assembly line camper and you know that cargo trailer is going to last a hell of a lot longer.  I'm a 62 year old woman and I need some comfort but it doesn't have to come in the form of a complete bathroom and holding tanks.  As a matter of fact, I'm just as happy not to have to deal with holding tanks.

This discussion has convinced me to price out customizations to a cargo trailer.  And thanks for the link for US Cargo trailer sales.  Locally the trailers are more expensive and they won't customize to even put in a couple windows and barn doors.  WeeRoll was supposed to send me a quote last Friday but I haven't heard a thing.  So I'm gonna check these guys out.  What I have on my side is time.
Amen sister, we want a little comfort and we want simplicity.  I love that in a cargo trailer we could bring our Stressless chairs, they're a stupid expensive Swedish chairs that are amazingly comfortable.  Keeps the body happy and relaxed... every travel trailer I've seen but one would require major mods to accommodate them.

mothercoder said:
This discussion has convinced me to price out customizations to a cargo trailer.  And thanks for the link for US Cargo trailer sales.  Locally the trailers are more expensive and they won't customize to even put in a couple windows and barn doors.  WeeRoll was supposed to send me a quote last Friday but I haven't heard a thing.  So I'm gonna check these guys out.  What I have on my side is time.

I would suggest you also check out Bravo Trailers.  They seem to build pretty good ones, and they will factory install windows, and RV side door and other features.  I see they have a dealer in Greenbelt MD.

http://bravotrailers.com/trailer-models/scout/options

Queen said:
Amen sister, we want a little comfort and we want simplicity.  I love that in a cargo trailer we could bring our Stressless chairs, they're a stupid expensive Swedish chairs that are amazingly comfortable.  Keeps the body happy and relaxed... every travel trailer I've seen but one would require major mods to accommodate them.

I was so happy when I was able to remove the torture device called a dinette from my trailer, now I use either my lawn chair with a few throw pillows or my anti-grav recliner. They are sooooooo much better.

Since this thread seems to have attracted folk that are knowledgeable about cargo trailers, what are your thoughts about Pace American brand cargo trailers?

Queen said:

Do you have a link to one of these chairs or similar?  I tried googling but gives me about 20 different designs with the word Swedish in it.  Ever since being diagnosed with Lyme I have to end my day in a recliner type chair to recoup.  I use a zero gravity for outside I really like, but if/when I convert a cargo trailer i'd like to get a nice dedicated indoor chair.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
I would suggest you also check out Bravo Trailers.  They seem to build pretty good ones, and they will factory install windows, and RV side door and other features.  I see they have a dealer in Greenbelt MD.

http://bravotrailers.com/trailer-models/scout/options

Awesome! I'll check them out. I think I'm crossing WeeRoll off the list. I heard back but his response seemed as though he really doesn't want to customize. He just wants to make his basic models.

Queen said:

Is this the chair? http://www.ekornes.com/us/stressless-recliners

Every Road Leads Home said:
Do you have a link to one of these chairs or similar?  I tried googling but gives me about 20 different designs with the word Swedish in it.  Ever since being diagnosed with Lyme I have to end my day in a recliner type chair to recoup.  I use a zero gravity for outside I really like, but if/when I convert a cargo trailer i'd like to get a nice dedicated indoor chair.

Here is the site, they are made by Ekornes: http://www.ekornes.com/us/stressless-recliners?gclid=CM__6J70xtICFQGraQodL2kJSw  Here is the one I have: http://www.ekornes.com/us/stressles...ess-consul-stressless-diplomat/consul-classic  Nice thing for a camper is they have a smaller footprint than a regular recliner, and most styles come in three different sizes.  They run in the $2800-$3500 range but you can usually get a great sale price if you're not hung up on "last years color/style".

mothercoder said:

Yep, I put more detail in the reply above.

We got one that someone else had ordered and never picked up, for $1500, got the second one for my honey in last years color for $1700. It seems like a ton of money for a chair, but they last a lifetime and are seriously comfortable and supportive. I've slept in mine for many weeks over different surgeries.