Camping at Quartzite

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ran home to take care or heating issues... I laughed at a comment a few posts ago about cold being 40’s.:. After tomorrow we’ll be below zero for several days straight. Good my camper off and gonna grab a trailer full (16) canoes and drop off in Kansas City trailer and all. Then I’ll have three on my truck rack to California... outta my way, but I’m thinking Quartsite will be added to destination. Leaving end of next week! I used to love winter...

Freelander said:
Planning on checking out Camp Bouse today.

Camp Bouse?

I rock hunt in Bouse and see people camping here and there but I didn’t know there was a “Camp Bouse”

Look what we got from Bouse: green banded rhyolite

438814b288753ba1cd4adf1516f77c62.jpg

5fea280b530635e30213d14c000bc6e1.jpg

Its where Patton trained his troops, the only thing I saw was a plague on a post and a flag. Its defiantly of the beaten path.

Stopped by Bouse and looked at the M60A1 Tank they had, I knew the track was awful loose, now I see why. They removed the final drives, the track on that Tank weights close to 2000 lbs per side, without the final drives it would be hard to tighten it up.

Also the Pak (Powerpak, i.e. Motor and Transmission) had be removed as well.

I wonder what else on the inside has been removed, I am betting the breech has been cut off with a torch, and probably a lot of other goodies inside are missing as well.

I noticed the Gun Tube was held up with a brace, so I'm thinking the Gunners Controls (Also referred as the 'cadillac controls') have been removed as well.

Funny. I am watching The Development of Soviet Armour and its Doctrine 1918-1941 as I type this.

Thats one of my favorite channel, The Chieftain always has his facts straight.

SLB_SA said:
Funny.  I am watching The Development of Soviet Armour and its Doctrine 1918-1941 as I type this.

And funny you mention this, this morning as I was driving to Camp Bouse, there was a Semi, hauling what looked like a T72, I didn't get a good enough look to see for sure, but it wasn't a T54/55, and the T62's are rare, but it may have been a T64. It was too far ahead to get a good look.

Just a note the Tank at Bouse was probably what is called a M60A1 RISE (Reliable Improved Selected Equipment) version, it had the newer style air cleaners, for one things, but it had the old style Track. I was a tank Mechanic in the Army. :)

As a Note the Sprockets were being held on with a piece of pipe running through the Hull, the pipe was welded to the sprockets. Also they had an M109 Artillery gun, but don't know which upgrades it had, the newest one are the A7 upgrade, I ones I was trained on were the A1 version.

I’ve got a really funny tank campfire story I’ll share with you someday. Amazing the sound a tank recovery vehicle makes going down the road.

Of course the3 M60 tank has that distinctive squeaking sound form the track that once you hear it, you can't forget it.

Freelander make sure you fuel up in Arizona. you do not want to buy fuel at Chiriaco Summit or anywhere in California for that matter, trust me. Highdesertranger

My car gets 40mpg so I will run a long ways on a tankful.

Doing a happy dance, woke up to nice weasther that will last a few days. Tempted to buy s ome firewood for tonight and roast the hot dogs I have in the fridge over real flames. There are some good stone fire rings next to me with no one camped at those sites.

I have some Hickory you can have, more than enough for a campfire.

Cinnamon Rolls on the Smoker!!!

YEA BABY!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1254.jpeg
    IMG_1254.jpeg
    283.9 KB

Latest posts