Campfire Cooking & Safety

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A favorite technique hubby and I used to use was preparing 12 charcoal briquettes on a piece of heavy duty foil, and when they were ready they would be arranged 6 on the bottom and 6 on the top of a double pie iron or panini.
The more I think about this, the more I like the idea of using the pie iron as a tiny dutch oven for one or two. Can't wait to give it a try (it's raining)! This has also made me rethink the cast iron waffle maker. No flipping required!

The more I think about this, the more I like the idea of using the pie iron as a tiny dutch oven for one or two. Can't wait to give it a try (it's raining)! This has also made me rethink the cast iron waffle maker. No flipping required!
I want to try one, too. Most that I am finding are around $90, though. The cast iron ones.

With a google search I see the cast iron panini pans for between $22 and $40, by Rome and at Amazon.

Not that bad, right now.

Attachments

• 6D7353DC-4DA8-4897-8229-1445FE72D85E.jpeg
    6D7353DC-4DA8-4897-8229-1445FE72D85E.jpeg
    1,002.4 KB · Views: 0
With a google search I see the cast iron panini pans for between $22 and $40, by Rome and at Amazon.

Not that bad, right now.
Thank you! I went to links at Amazon provided in an article about the "top 3" pie irons. Rome was one of them.

I'll be more thorough checking Amazon prices:)

I like pie iron pizza rolls And right now I have some instant pop open canned type dough just sitting in my fridge. might be a thing I do tonight as we still have a ton of 'stuff' down from the last storm to burn.... One pizza roll each and one apple pie filled thing each.

So I got to thinking about campfire cooking and remembered I had seen a you tube video about reflector ovens to set in front of a fire. I had made one out of dollar store cookie sheets and a dozen or so nuts and bolts. I dug it out and tried it out for the first time today, as we are and will be for a while, still cleaning tree stuff up from a storm, which means fires. I tried it and IT works. Cost for the whole thing about $5.00 plus a few nuts and bolts from the shop. Tonight, we had fire baked biscuits, and they were yummy. This thing is definitely going camping with us.
While I don't have any links or anything just look up reflector oven cooking on youtube....

You can do a lot with that Dollar Tree foil. I built this Smoker with it.
The grill was modified to work on a rod set by a camp fire. The sheets of foil are held together with paper clamps.

https://vanlivingforum.com/threads/smoking-meat-and-other-things.44709/#post-554727
Foil_Smoker_full.jpg

Foil_Smoker_KDF.jpg

Ha. I have always cooked over an open flame campfire. Never had one single problem. And, as noted above, the soot wipes right off. If your pans get a little blacker, who cares. But if you do care, a quick scrub with some fine steel wool and they look new again.
cover the bottom of the pan with soap (use a bar of soap to wipe it on). When finished cooking over coals or fire, wipe the blackened soap off. Off comes the soot and the pan is not black.

Latest posts