Planning stage

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

livinthedream

Reaction score
Hello all!  I am new to this site (having watched Nomadland and after a few google searches).  I've camped from childhood on into adulthood meeting my ex-husband camping/canoeing.  Two years ago, I took off in my Kia Sportage from Florida to North Carolina to see the leaves change by myself.  I am blessed as my occupation allows me a lot of flexibility so I can drive down the highway with my laptop and mifi fired up just pulling off for meetings as needed.  I loved it!  I went up a dirt road that the AT crossed, caught trout and car camped for $15 a night in a grove of walnut trees (brought home lots of 'em) . . . and was woke up by a "wild" cat leaping on my sunroof of all things.  COVID kind squashed my travels as did a side gig starting last June caring for a dementia patient.  

I turned 65 in December, in good health and slowly building up equipment for more car camping which I am quite comfortable with.  I just ordered one of those luggable loo lids and female urinal to handle those things.  Have no problem with cooking over a canway camping stove and an open fire.  Can make always fall back on adding water to a plastic baggie full of ramen noodles with a can of tuna if all else fails.  

Here's my dilemma.  I have cats.  So that means that once I can take off for months it will involve taking them along.  I can't be the crazy cat lady with 3 cats in a SUV, so what's the most viable solution?  My son thinks I would be better off with a truck and tow something.  I was thinking a Class B and my bicycle or a moped would be better, selling my Kia either way because it can't tow more than 2,000 pounds and it's a waste of money to pay for insurance on 2 vehicles.  I have towed a 24' boat with a full size van with kids but never totally alone.  

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Also, I don't want to be in a tent - much more comfortable sleeping in a vehicle of some sorts, alone by a campfire at night I don't last long either.  Got some of that window blocking foil - great idea!

Janet

Welcome to the form living the dream. I’m glad you enjoyed the trip to see the leaves. And hope you have the freedom to get into northern Pennsylvania New York and New England some fall to see real color. I know the Carolinas can be pretty but the mixture of trees up north is so different the colors are astounding. And I love the smell of the leaves in the fall camping in A hardwood forest is a treat. I am enjoying your Florida weather here in Sarasota now but as things warm up I’ll be going north again.

If you can afford it a class B is a wonderful vehicle. I have lots of friends really enjoy them and since it’s just one of you and a few cats a class B be fine. I couldn’t afford a class B so I bought an old conversion van and build it out myself but I don’t have any plumbing systems and tanks to worry about are use the old fashion potty chair. There are videos on Bob Wells site about pets on the road. And there are quite a few people who travel with them. I really like the “homemade” van camper or class B van because I like not having to go outside in weather and bad situations (haven’t had any yet but you never know) to get into the driver seat and leave. Another advantage is better gas mileage than many of the larger campers or even a toad. Of course one of the disadvantages is you have to break camp to go anywhere. I hope you find what you’re looking for and I also hope that you stick around here for a while. let’s get to know each other we have a good bunch of people here.

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Thanks for the tip.  Yes, I was looking at some of those Class Bs.  I tripped into some of the light weight A-frames (Aliner - Forest River) which I was thinking about as my insurance agent gave me a quote of $10 a month for insurance rather than a second vehicle.  As it is for just me (without the cats) I am rigging my SUV for "car camping" for now.  

I grew up in Pennsylvania so I've seen my share of fall leaves up north.  Something to be said for the wild strawberries in the spring; blueberries, blackberries and raspberries in the summer and currents in the fall as well

If I were comfortable towing, I'd have something like a small Scamp or Casita. But I'm not.

My elderly cat was quite content traveling with me in an ordinary cargo van. I do know people who have multiple cats who travel in vans, but I dunno whether I'd do that.

Class Bs are very spendy, and I don't need half the stuff that is crammed into them. My cargo van has a twin-sized bed, a cooler-sized 12v refrigerator, some wooden cabinets from the thrift store, and a luggable loo. I have a hitch mounted cargo carrier that carries a couple of Rubbermaid Action Packers and some water containers. I carry a CLAM pop-up shelter for a kitchen tent. I am in the process of adding a single rooftop solar panel and a 100 ah lithium battery. Far cheaper than a Class B, and everything I need.

YMMV of course. But before you spend a lot of money on a commercial rig, go head and use your car to go camping in all kinds of weather. You might find that a minimalist setup is all you REALLY need.

Welcome!

You are already ahead of most who initially post and have no real idea or experiences to fall back on. You'll get all kinds of opinions and each has merit, though usually for that person. If you feel more comfortable in a single vehicle then a class B or "type" of B/conversion van would work well for what YOU want.

There's YT videos about dwellers with multiple cats and others with multiple dogs so don't let that put you off.

Follow your "intuition" about what feels right to you. Ignore everything else, the 25' custom $100K Sprinter is fine for "them", as is the 40' bus RV for someone else. If you are happy in a B style van then that's fine.

Go onto the rv forums and check out the (smaller) amount of threads on class B's. That will give you an idea of their versatility and challenges. In general, they are expensive for what you get.

My impression of Class B RVs is that unless you get a great price on a used one, they are generally an expensive version of what you could get at a much lower price if you do the van conversion yourself, or get help from friends to do your van build. https://rvlifestyle.com/best-class-b-rvs/

Eg of those Class B RVs, the least expensive one is $130k. Some are over $300k. Compare that to the cost for a used cargo van of the same size, which is in the range of $10-$35k. A van build can be done for as little as $2-$10k, depending on what your needs are. So I really don't see the point of getting a Class B RV unless you have the money and want something already all set up and like the way the van is built.