"It's time to cancel campfires"

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bigger the fire, the bigger the fool. Unfortunately you can't tell who is going to turn a campfire into a conflagration until they do it, and for the people who will do that it won't matter if there is a burn ban.

The bigger the fire, the bigger the fool. Unfortunately you can't tell who is going to turn a campfire into a conflagration until they do it, and for the people who will do that it won't matter if there is a burn ban.
agree
no one can control human issues but to put strict laws into effect for the best of it all. burn ban, done deal. those doing it, need law interaction or a 'talking' to about why LOL but humans do as they do so...ugh

And remember to PUT THE FIRE OUT! Way back when I was in my 20s, my dog and I went for a hike in the San Gabriel Mtns, east of L.A., CA, and found a completely empty campground with a fire burning in it. I emptied my bottle of water on it, and spread the burning pieces apart, but it was still burning. Fortunately, a cop was passing by, and I flagged him down. He had more water, so we got it out.

That was almost half a century ago, and I still wonder why some people are so stupid.

I think I have had 2 fires in the last 3 years. One I planned, and used my cast iron pots to cook dinner. The second was a fire pit that had an existing fire from the previous campers. I smelled smoke when I arrived, and out of curiosity I tossed a handful of leaves on the logs. Poof I had a fire. My question is why would anyone leave a campsite without putting your fire out? It’s just one of the questions I have on personal responsibility lol
I was camped in a national forest in the east. When the travel trailer a few sites away left, they're pulled all their firewood on their fire and left it burning. Friend and I babysat that thing all night.

so sad I had a similar event. unfortunly i DIDN'T get their license tag # next campout I will do that,, trashing the site same thing.
keebler

Recently camped in NC, I think it was Falls Lake or Jordan Creek?
When I got to my site it was a mess. The previous campers had tried to burn just about every log in sight. There were a bunch of melted bottles and cans in the fire circle, which was still going!
They even hauled one of the impact pad perimeter logs up on the fire ring. It pissed me off because now the rangers might think I made this huge mess!
So before I set up my kitchen or anything else I spent 45 minutes putting things back where they should be, and putting out the still smoldering coals.
I should add that at this campground, you are only supposed to burn store bought wood. No gathering of dead wood is allowed. And like most campgrounds these days, alcohol is forbidden.
But there is no enforcement that I have seen.
Not that I want super intrusive forest rangers hassling all the campers.
It just sucks when you go by the rules and leave your sites cleaner than you found them. But other folks are just trashing the place.