camper for F250

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks pretty good. DO you know what it weighs?
Its not as heavy as you’d think, im a professional carpenter. I built it lightweight.
I have not weighed it, but I would guess around 1,000 lbs. the truck is old and has sag in the rear without a load, doesn’t sag any more with the camper in it
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n3IKfeEyyfw

In my reply above the "DO" was a typo and was just supposed to be "Do".

I decided to make my own camper for my f250.
I considered buying an older camper and renovating it, but in the end decided to build new...
View attachment 30429View attachment 30428

Looks good! Looking forward to seeing how you finish it inside.

Ive wanted to do a wood sided camper for ages. I thought a 1950s or earlier heavy truck would be a cool, start, but your 72 is much more practical while still classy and old/unique without being as hard to get on the road as an older rig.

What did you use on the sides, 1x (3/4) T&G or something thinner?

It rides well although it feels top heavy so I'm gentle on curves. It fits with the tailgate closed so I still have use of my backup camera when traveling.
Thanks for sharing. Have you solved your storage issues? Capri Camper has a similar model, the Cowboy. Same issue with it: lack of storage. Sure is nice to be able to stand up, though! Plus, it will keep you dry. Beats tent camping:)

I decided to make my own camper for my f250.
I considered buying an older camper and renovating it, but in the end decided to build new...
That is sharp. I watched all your videos. You are quite the carpenter. Loved your tiny home, too. And how you figured out how to change a flat tire with no jack. That was impressive. The camper swayed quite a bit when you were attempting to get the truck unstuck. Were there big ruts?

Thanks for sharing. Have you solved your storage issues? Capri Camper has a similar model, the Cowboy. Same issue with it: lack of storage. Sure is nice to be able to stand up, though! Plus, it will keep you dry. Beats tent camping:)
I have plenty of room inside the truck. My next idea is to build a murphy bed that folds up against the front of the camper during the day and then I can build storage shelving along the front wall. Still tossing ideas around inside my head.

I have plenty of room inside the truck. My next idea is to build a murphy bed that folds up against the front of the camper during the day and then I can build storage shelving along the front wall. Still tossing ideas around inside my head.
I see you have an extended cab. I regret not buying a truck with one.

It would look nice polished and Avion made high end trailers, but I'm guessing it would be too heavy for a F250.

That depends on the weight of the camper and what type F250 you have. if the light duty version, it may be flirting with being too much weight, if the old school 3/4 ton full floater heavy duty type, its probably not too heavy.

Ive had both types, the GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) should be on the door frame tag or someplace in the vehicle cab, you can compare that with info you find online, the full floater will be rated higher. You can also check the rear axle and see which type it is. The light duty type arent all much better than a 1/2 ton because of the way the axle functions with regards to the bearings and how they handle loads. ive had to replace axle shafts in zeveral 1/2 ton trucks because of axle shaft wear from the bearings, and had one light duty 3/4 ton that also had the same issue, Instead of throwing good money after bad repairing a lower rated rear axle, i just junked the semi floater and got a heavy duty full floater rear end for it and never looked back, its a huge upgrade for load carrying.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1141216-full-floating-or-semifloating-rearend.html#post11463758

It would look nice polished and Avion made high end trailers, but I'm guessing it would be too heavy for a F250.
Weight is approximately 2000lbs. Adding a bump stop or airbags to your suspension might be advised.

Carla, I just went back to page 1 and reread your truck specs and I think you'll find your truck can handle as big a camper as you might want. Those are pretty heavy specs.

Carla, I just went back to page 1 and reread your truck specs and I think you'll find your truck can handle as big a camper as you might want. Those are pretty heavy specs.
Ya 4,000 lb payload is a lot. My payload is 1,400 lbs but I'll be 1,000 over that most likely.

That depends on the weight of the camper and what type F250 you have. if the light duty version, it may be flirting with being too much weight, if the old school 3/4 ton full floater heavy duty type, its probably not too heavy.

Ive had both types, the GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) should be on the door frame tag or someplace in the vehicle cab, you can compare that with info you find online, the full floater will be rated higher. You can also check the rear axle and see which type it is. The light duty type arent all much better than a 1/2 ton because of the way the axle functions with regards to the bearings and how they handle loads. ive had to replace axle shafts in zeveral 1/2 ton trucks because of axle shaft wear from the bearings, and had one light duty 3/4 ton that also had the same issue, Instead of throwing good money after bad repairing a lower rated rear axle, i just junked the semi floater and got a heavy duty full floater rear end for it and never looked back, its a huge upgrade for load carrying.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1141216-full-floating-or-semifloating-rearend.html#post11463758
My truck has those things that stick out beyond the lugs, but when I looked up my VIN it said Light Engine.