camper for F250

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do I'm a bit confused... is the used battery your son put in the truck still there? If so, how old is it? And if so, the mechanic may have recommended a larger battery because the used one is too small. Ford trucks do normally have a rather large battery.

Do I'm a bit confused... is the used battery your son put in the truck still there? If so, how old is it? And if so, the mechanic may have recommended a larger battery because the used one is too small. Ford trucks do normally have a rather large battery.
It was still in the truck until the $1,400 repair job a month ago. I paid $158 for a new battery (in that repair job). When the mechanic suggested a bigger battery, I said it will have to wait, since he just put a new one in. I'm guessing my son's battery was not big enough. It came off a Chevy 1500 (iirc). Surely the mechanic didn't try to match that battery.

I just looked at Interstate's website and it says that battery does not fit my truck. I selected 1995, F250, 5.8 engine

https://www.interstatebatteries.com/products/MT-78

Could be a pinched wire if they replaced the turn signal switch in the column. Also the “reinforcement “ in the door could have pinched something. There is an item staying “on”, or a power wire touching ground, that. Is killing the battery. Also, the adapters for the different battery are potentially more opportunities for corrosion, though I don’t think they’d contribute to a draw.

As for Allstate, I’m not sure of their policy on dirt roads.
It wasn't on the column. It was ...Jeebus, I can't remember exactly. It was something I could fix myself, according to the guy at O'Reillys. He sold me something cheap and I put it in. It worked... til it didn't. So I bought another. Again it worked for a bit. That is why I initially took it into the first repair shop. They did a screwy repair job on it. When I saw it, it reminded me of a duct tape repair. Not that bad, but not very professional looking. They said they had to do it that way because the 'box' was falling out. That is why I had a bad connection. I'm sorry I can't remember. Tomorrow I'll take pictures.

I didn't go back to that shop, because they seemed expensive at $650. But, at O'Reillys they said you can't get much of anything done at a shop for under $600.

MT78 won’t come up as fitting because the terminals are different. That’s why your son had to use adapters. The number you’re concerned with is the cranking amps. If the battery doesn’t have enough amps, it won’t be able to run the starter either at all, or fast enough to start the engine.

If that mechanic replaced the battery with another group 78, I have little faith in him. Even without looking up the application, the cobbled connection should have indicated it wasn’t the right battery. My opinion, he should replace the battery with the correct size at no charge. Maybe you pay the difference if the new one is more.

The other posters brought up good points. If someone rigged up the signals, that could be your power draw.

Damn, I wish I was closer. I’d like to eyeball things myself.

Besides an owner’s manual, hunt down some factory service manuals. Those will have wiring diagrams.

I had thought I wanted a camper for my pickup, but my friends got rid of theirs, telling me it was not a good experience, almost tipping over on big country pumps, catching on trees and brush, rain leaks in roof and sides, overweight, frightening shaking in stormwind, etc. So I got a high-top van instead and built it out myself, and love it! They got an empty utility trailer and built it out themselves, hitched it to the same pickup truck, and loved it. We all became "happy campers". 😊🙃

... almost tipping over on big country pumps, catching on trees and brush, rain leaks in roof and sides, overweight, frightening shaking in stormwind, etc. 😊🙃
I had a camper and sold it, because I needed the money. I drove it from northern Minnesota to central Illinois. Then took one 800 mile trip with it. All of the things you mentioned could happen, but most could be avoided if the camper was a proper size for the truck. In general, people should avoid the campers with the basement garages on the rear. They are usually too heavy for a F250.

Mine shook like crazy at first on the interstate. It's called porpoising, and was due to the long sleeper over the cab. I switched to back country roads and no more porpoising. Think the wind direction on the interstate made it worse. Some ppl build deflectors or use pool noodles shoved into the gap.

I only had ratchet straps and took it off road for 4 miles through deep ruts and over stream beds. Camper didn't tip, but it probably came close. The straps were making screeching sounds at times. But, the camper was the right size and weight (1,400 pounds). I did dent the side of my truck in town when I drove over an unexpected speed bump. The strap dented it.

The man I bought it from said no leaks. It leaked where many old campers leak: in the over-the-cab bed area.

As far as catching on trees and brush, you just have to avoid those places. Or bring a saw. Found out you can't go through fast food drive-ups.

My biggest complaints could have been rectified, had I kept it longer. One was lack of a bathroom and the other was not having sturdy steps with a railing.

Not sure if I will get another slide in camper, but I enjoyed mine. They are super convenient and comfortable. This was my camper and truck:

Attachments

• kCkFUAV.jpeg
    kCkFUAV.jpeg
    78.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
MT78 won’t come up as fitting because the terminals are different. That’s why your son had to use adapters. The number you’re concerned with is the cranking amps. If the battery doesn’t have enough amps, it won’t be able to run the starter either at all, or fast enough to start the engine.

If that mechanic replaced the battery with another group 78, I have little faith in him. Even without looking up the application, the cobbled connection should have indicated it wasn’t the right battery. My opinion, he should replace the battery with the correct size at no charge. Maybe you pay the difference if the new one is more.

The other posters brought up good points. If someone rigged up the signals, that could be your power draw.

Damn, I wish I was closer. I’d like to eyeball things myself.

Besides an owner’s manual, hunt down some factory service manuals. Those will have wiring diagrams.
Thanks Doug. Yes, he put in the MT78. You are right about the terminals:) About the service manuals, do you mean Chilton?

Are you the one who lives in Chicago burbs? Maybe I can come there for a day. (Was it Aurora?)

Do the turns work when the truck is turned off? Does anything else work when the truck is turned off that doesnt seem like it should? On older vehicles brake lights sometimes stay hot when the ignition is off, not sure what recent practice is on that.
Today I looked for the piece that was repaired, but only found what appears to be a new fuse panel unit. Maybe the last place put that in after seeing the previous repair job. The guy who repaired the turn signals said the big round silver thing (Novita name on it in attached picture) I kept replacing was no longer seated properly to get a good connection. IIRC, he put a screw either there or under the hood. On the other side? It was 2.5 years ago and I had just bought the truck. I can't remember exactly. I certainly don't recall his repair being inside the fuse panel, lol.

Attachments

• flasher.jpg
    flasher.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 3
Today I looked for the piece that was repaired, but only found what appears to be a new fuse panel unit. Maybe the last place put that in after seeing the previous repair job. The guy who repaired the turn signals said the big round silver thing (Novita name on it in attached picture) I kept replacing was no longer seated properly to get a good connection. IIRC, he put a screw either there or under the hood. On the other side? It was 2.5 years ago and I had just bought the truck. I can't remember exactly. I certainly don't recall his repair being inside the fuse panel, lol.
That silver thing is the Flasher unit.

A brief search indicates that Good Sam Roadside Assistance will provide service on any improved road... meaning that it is graded and maintained... even on NF or BLM land. Most are kinda wishy washy on this point.

In general it looks like many people are not all that happy with roadside assistance plans. Even Better World, the highest ranked one on this page, only gets a 3.5/5 rating. https://wallethub.com/edu/ci/best-roadside-assistance/10234

When I was fulltime for 13 years, and adventurous about finding remote sites, I only once needed help getting out. Fuel pump died on NF land, dirt road. I flagged down a kind soul who towed me back to town with his pickup, and left me in a grocery store parking lot. From there I hiked to auto part stores to get the parts I needed, and some homeless indians helped me fix it (which involved draining and dropping the tank which was a PITA). All part of the adventure... 🤪
I wonder if anyone here ever watches Matt's Offroad Recovery on Youtube? It isn't the typical material that interests me, but I got hooked on it because of the physics of the recoveries that he does. He is located in Hurricane, UT, but he goes miles to pull people out of sand and snow in offroad conditions. He has gone into California, Idaho, etc. Most of the rescues are in UT though. The Youtube channel is very entertaining. His son Rudy is funny.

Thanks Doug. Yes, he put in the MT78. You are right about the terminals:) About the service manuals, do you mean Chilton?

Are you the one who lives in Chicago burbs? Maybe I can come there for a day. (Was it Aurora?)
Chilton is a third party company. Their manuals are good, but cover a year range and are not as in depth. Ford Factory manuals would be more specific and more detailed to your truck.

You are correct on Aurora. Near I88 and Route 31. I still work for a living, though. Best I could give you is a weekend afternoon. I could maybe have a friend from work come over too.

Hey, you notice we’re on page eight and still haven’t found you a camper top? How’s that for side tracked? 😉

Hey, you notice we’re on page eight and still haven’t found you a camper top? How’s that for side tracked? 😉
I'm on disability & had to wait another month. Fun, fun! I keep checking craigslist and carpart.com (junk yard listings). Wish I still had Facebook, because I think most are listed there. There aren't very many high rise/mid-rise toppers for trucks as old as mine with an 8 foot bed. Ideally, I'd get one with wing windows, but that will be impossible on my budget. I found one, but it was cab height.

Just found a high rise, but it is too far to drive to (Nebraska). So I'm back to two that are close (enough) to me.

Edit: I like the first one (off white), but it appears to be bolted to the bed rails. Plus, it has seams on the body and I worry about leaks. Looks clean inside. It came with the 1979 Ford truck from the factory and has a vent in the roof. It is on craigslist for Altoona, IA.

Nevermind that first one. I see the Chevy logo. His/her sizes can't be right. I deleted it.

Edit: I wasn't seeing things. The listing says it came off a 1979 Ford, but I see the Chevy logo on the truck: https://desmoines.craigslist.org/pts/d/altoona-truck-topper/7444245181.html

Attachments

• redmidrisetopper.jpg
    redmidrisetopper.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
This is the high rise, but after gas and the $250 for the topper it would cost $850. Can't swing it.

Attachments

• redtopper.jpg
    redtopper.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 4
I wonder if anyone here ever watches Matt's Offroad Recovery on Youtube? It isn't the typical material that interests me, but I got hooked on it because of the physics of the recoveries that he does. He is located in Hurricane, UT, but he goes miles to pull people out of sand and snow in offroad conditions. He has gone into California, Idaho, etc. Most of the rescues are in UT though. The Youtube channel is very entertaining. His son Rudy is funny.
I just binged on Matt's a few days ago. They are addicting, lol. I eventually got bored, but it was fun while it lasted. Was surprised how many ppl with travel trailers pull onto beaches or soft desert sand. And how many without 4WD try rock climbing.

Edit: Also watched BBC's 'World's Most Dangerous Roads'. The episode about the Dalton Highway was interesting. I didn't know how important it was to have a CB radio and to call out to the truckers before the curves. Think that applied to winter driving mostly. But I think I want a CB eventually.

I'm on disability & had to wait another month. Fun, fun! I keep checking craigslist and carpart.com (junk yard listings). Wish I still had Facebook, because I think most are listed there. There aren't very many high rise/mid-rise toppers for trucks as old as mine with an 8 foot bed. Ideally, I'd get one with wing windows, but that will be impossible on my budget. I found one, but it was cab height.

Just found a high rise, but it is too far to drive to (Nebraska). So I'm back to two that are close (enough) to me.

Edit: I like the first one (off white), but it appears to be bolted to the bed rails. Plus, it has seams on the body and I worry about leaks. Looks clean inside. It came with the 1979 Ford truck from the factory and has a vent in the roof. It is on craigslist for Altoona, IA.

Nevermind that first one. I see the Chevy logo. His/her sizes can't be right. I deleted it.

Edit: I wasn't seeing things. The listing says it came off a 1979 Ford, but I see the Chevy logo on the truck: https://desmoines.craigslist.org/pts/d/altoona-truck-topper/7444245181.html
Just because it's sitting on a Chevy (I'd love to have that one), doesn't mean it didn't originally come off a Ford. Note the front wall doesn't match the cab. 79 was a different body style than yours as well. Keep in mind, the old square body trucks were just that, square. Caps from one should be pretty close to the other. Ask the guy to take measurements from outer edges to outer edges and the width of each side wall. That will tell you if the cap will sit on your bed rails. That red one looks sketchy; pretty sunburnt. I'd bet the window gaskets are dried out and potentially leaky. The off white one seams to be a bit higher.

On FB. Eight foot cap. $80. Algonquin IL. Says it came off a Silverado, but it looks like it's sitting pretty square on this Ford. I requested a phone number for you.

Attachments

• F250 cap.png
    F250 cap.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • F250 cap2.jpg
    F250 cap2.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 0
Here ya go! $300 in Valporaiso In. Still sitting on an 86 F250. I asked for their phone number.
Does one of your kids have Facebook? They could be looking for you.

Attachments

• F250 cap3.jpg
    F250 cap3.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 4
Here ya go! $300 in Valporaiso In. Still sitting on an 86 F250. I asked for their phone number.
Does one of your kids have Facebook? They could be looking for you.
That one looks great. Yes, kids have Faceboook. My son got one number for me.

My daughter keeps telling me to make a new FB account:) Some guy from Nigeria changed my email addy on FB after I fell for a scam on FB Messenger. He had hacked my former sister-in-law's FB account and messaged her contacts asking for help getting back on FB. Long story, but I lost my account after 13 years and no way to contact FB. Gave up trying.

Just because it's sitting on a Chevy (I'd love to have that one), doesn't mean it didn't originally come off a Ford. Note the front wall doesn't match the cab. 79 was a different body style than yours as well. Keep in mind, the old square body trucks were just that, square. ...That red one looks sketchy; pretty sunburnt. I'd bet the window gaskets are dried out and potentially leaky. The off white one seams to be a bit higher.
I did finally notice the slight color difference. Been looking at that one for a couple weeks. Like the vent in the roof. Thanks for pointing out the square body from 1979. Found another in which the post said it will fit square body only. I wondered about that.

The post for the red one says "nice patina". Thought that was funny.