Campgrounds don't accept truck campers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Telcobilly

Reaction score
Trying to find a place for my Tacoma with a fiberglass utility shell. I have called a few places (not resorts) and have been told no to truck campers. My time at the rental place is almost over and I'm trying to find a place to stay. So far, my search for a small travel trailer has resulted in overpriced old junk. Any ideas? I'm in Texas in the Conroe/Spring area. Thanks

no TCs...huh that is wild cause when we had our TC we 'were a camper' and never got a no on using any place we wanted...huh

sorry you are having such a hard time but finding a nice small used trailer camper is just luck of the draw on finding what you want.......sending good vibes your way to hit what you want!

Relating this to anothers experience. How about buying a cheap tent and throwing it up even if you don't use it and saying you are tent camping?

You might look for a place that accepts tents in a grassy area with a few trees and has a shower facility. Some tent spots at RV parks and campgrounds have water or electricity, or both. Ask them about a monthly rate.

If you find a suitable location, then buy yourself a $50 tent and move right in. You can put some of your miscellaneous stuff in the tent such as your cooler, extra clothes and shoes, folding chairs, lanterns, whatever, you don't have to actually sleep in the tent. 

The tent can be your 'place-holder' when you leave to run errands.

And you could keep looking for a more suitable location if this first one doesn't work out.

good post JT in that yea a tent put up would mean ya don't have to use it, but alot of places are like 'pack in' etc where a vehicle can't go but darn if you got 'a real site' for a tent then yea a car can go and use the vehicle as you see fit :) like that idea!! I would do that in a pinch and not think twice on it but that is me :)

My guess is you are looking at private campgrounds. Try campgrounds run by the Forest Service, BLM, COE(Corp of Engineers), State, County, City, etc. These campgrounds usually don't have the vehicle restrictions. Highdesertranger

I think their major problem is they don’t want those of us who shit in a bucket. I imagine they have facilities for tent campers to go potty. So why they’re prejudiced against you I don’t know. I think that they would except a truck camper, if it was a real camper not just a topper. Again I’m just guessing. I have had problems with my van Being rejected.because I don’t have proper plumbing. That’s why Boondocking is the way to go for me, and paying for a site at one of these campgrounds is almost as much as buying a cheap hotel room. It’s the forest for me, and at friends places.

I agree with nature. They may be banning TCs because in general they are not self contained, or a pretty small black tank. 15 gallon black tank is what BLM wants in the LTVA otherwise camp by the privy. Nothing wrong with camping upwind of the privy, even better if you have no sense of smell.
-crofter

I think this lifestyle works well mainly for those that travel continuously or stay in an area for a very limited time. We have been able to stay longer stays only because a full hookup site or housing was provided in exchange for volunteer or paid work by the employer. Most counties do not like non permanent housing and even if you own the land there are zoning restrictions against using a RV or vehicle as a permanent dwelling. You will be lucky to use a family members driveway as many Home Owners Associations will fine the owner of the property if you do so. State Parks are becoming crowded but may provide some temporary solutions. Finding a private parking spot in a storage facility or apartment complex may be possible, otherwise you will visiting some of your old truck stops nightly and moving daily to areas with free overnight camping or staying up nights and sleeping in day use areas.

Telcobilly said:
Trying to find a place for my Tacoma with a fiberglass utility shell. I have called a few places (not resorts) and have been told no to truck campers. My time at the rental place is almost over and I'm trying to find a place to stay. So far, my search for a small travel trailer has resulted in overpriced old junk. Any ideas? I'm in Texas in the Conroe/Spring area. Thanks

Were you calling campgrounds affiliated with Thousand Trails by any chance? I was considering a membership in TT and was conducting a lot of research last year. I contacted an assload of CG's in the TT network, and was met with the SAME baloney you've been hearing.

They basically told me, we ONLY accept vehicles that were born campers (conversions of ANY kind are not acceptable; trailers, shells, vans, schoolies, etc.). Further, all camper vehicles MUST have an RVIA sticker. If you don't have one, you're out of luck. Also, most places said they WILL check the RVIA sticker, and look it up in their database to ensure that it's legit.

My guess is, since you have a utility shell, they're using that against you since it doesn't fall under their "born camper" rule. Ie: Your shell wasn't made to sleep in, only house stuff.

A lot of CG's are adopting similar rules too, even those not affiliated with TT. And the amount of people getting into camping has EXPLODED in the past few years, so they can afford to be choosey.

The tent solution others have offered is your best bet. I know because I'm in the same boat as you. I'm beginning my journey as a car camper, and most CG's don't allow car camping. However, a few will make an exception and let you stay in the tent section, provided you set one up next to your vehicle. It's basically to cover their asses. But you should have no issues actually sleeping in your shell at night.

Thanks for all of the insightful feedback! It never occurred to me that the repurposed shell without a proper potty could be the problem. I have a line on another park where I submitted pictures and info of my rig. They seemed to be open to me adding an offroad style smaller trailer to my rig. I'll call them back tomorrow. I just moved back to Texas to retire from 12 years of OTR trucking where I was paid to camp..lol I don't need nor do I want to get back into S&B housing.

Crofter, the BLM regulation states they require only 10 gallons for built in holding tank capacity.

Good news! I found a long term park in Willis TX not far from where I wanted to be. Very reasonable rates. All they need from me is a background check which is no problem because I have a CDL with a Hazmat endorsement. I'm putting the finishing touches on my truck and just ordered a Runaway Venturist camper today, 16 weeks to delivery. I'll live in the truck camper until then. https://www.runawaycampers.com/the-venturist
The park already approved that too. I will then use my shell for storage, the truck cab for cooking and food storage and the trailer for sleeping and lounging. Things are falling into place. I'm blessed!

Very nice....it's still hot down there so what are you doing in the middle of the day when it's hot? 

Or does your utility shell have A/C?

I notice the Venturist video does not show a roof vent or fan. You might want to see if that is available for when you are sleeping (or just chilling) in mild weather when you cant power the A/C unit.

A roof fan not only helps keep it comfy and dry, but also helps suck out the flies and skeeters that always seem to find their way into a sleeping space. You would of course need a battery and maybe solar to keep things charged.

I visited the Runaway office in Summerfield. I liked the one I could stand up in....wished they made one that transformed into standing height when parked and back to a lower height for driving, though.

I have a 7000 btu a/c unit in the shell, so it will be nice and cold. The Venturist is 16 weeks out before delivery so it will have cooled off here by then. I do agree about the fan though. Some of the concerns listed here have occurred to me, & I definitely appreciate that they are brought uphere. Maybe I'm rationalizing my decision, but here is what lead me to the this point:

1. Going forward, I'm living part time in the US, the rest of the time in Phillipines so I wanted a part time affordable home here in the US. Can't/don't want to live in motels, rooms in other people's houses or with family.
2. I know people here on this site understand the appeal of a mobile, economical lifestyle of freedom vs being locked into working just to pay rent or a mortgage.
3. Trailers are insanely expensive unless you go really old. Then they turn into money pits of time and resources to keep up & repair. Although I can't stand in this unit like I could in the sleeper of the semi that I just spent 12 years in, there is a lot more room than the shell on my truck.

I've been watching videos on CRVL and other YT videos with people living in these smaller teardrop type trailers and they seem to be pretty happy. Some are quite a bit older than I am. The freedom from financial worry seems to negate the lost comfort of a house or apartment.
Maybe I'm talking myself into it, or maybe I know what I can handle it after living the trucker lifestyle for 12+ years. It was the isolation and missing out on family life + a workplace injury that finally got me out of the truck. If the trailer doesn't work out, I can get money back because I'm the one who waited 16 weeks to get it.
I'm really comfortable in my current abode, but after 8/25, it's not an option. I paid $1100 to rent it so it would have taken a big bite out of my SS. I won't be getting Workman's Comp forever, so I'm trying to make hay while the sun shines and have this trailer paid for out of that vs my savings. I have a storage unit for the trailer when I'm overseas, a bigger camper wouldn't have fit.

Anyway, any feedback is appreciated. My brother thinks I have lost my mind..lol

It is of course possible later on to change to a different camping set up if your purchase does not eork as you hoped it would. So don't spend a lot of time stressing out about the devision you msde.

Enjoy your adventures. Spending half time in the Philipines sounds like a very interesting life.

A couple of thoughts:

After I turned 60 standing up to pee during the night became important - it's an enlarged prostate thing.

A ceiling vent helps a lot with getting rid of hot air inside the camper, powered is better.  A lot of window air conditioners have 'fan only' mode for when you have shore power and not hot enough for A/C.

When we started out with our restored older motorhome and wanted to stay in some RV parks that had the ten year rule (RV had to be less than ten years old) we bought the cheapest, smallest, stripped out 5 year old camper trailer with a RIVA tag we could find and towed it with our motorhome. We used it mainly for storage of bikes and tools. When checking in we registered with the camper trailer tag as it met the requirement and there was no ten year old rule for tow vehicles which happened to be our motorhome.