camper for F250

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carla618

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm having trouble deciding on which type of camper to buy for my F250 pickup. I keep reading that most slide-in campers (in my price range) would overload my truck. But I've also read that old campers from the 70's and 80's are lighter than today's hard sided campers. I don't have much money for a camper so my selection is limited... I may end up with just a topper.

But being close to Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan I see so many old campers for cheap on craigslist. Many are 10 and 11 feet, though. I've found a couple 8 foot ones, but they are either pretty far away or they are popups.

Sometimes it seems silly to get a topper for the same price as a full size camper. So I guess I want to know for sure if those old campers would be too much for my truck. (Having trouble finding the load limits for the old ones on craigslist)

IIRC, Bob frowns against popups because they are colder and they let too much dust in. Not sure if he was referring to truck campers.

And, I think I read that he said to avoid anything that extends beyond your bed... so no 9 ft. plus. Recently I read to avoid basements... this is getting so confusing:D

My truck specs, if anyone knows of any old campers (of any length) that are on the light side:

XLT 2dr Reg Cab LB

Length 213.3 in.
Maximum towing capacity    10000 lbs.
Gross weight    8600 lbs.
Height    71.0 in.
Maximum payload    4045.0 lbs.
Wheel base    133.0 in.
Width    79.0 in.

Thanks!

(P.s. Also interested in your thoughts on popups)

Edit: Is this the wrong forum for campers on trucks? I just read "toppers" in the sub-heading

Hi tx2sturgis,

My budget is $2K:)

Actually, it's zilch atm. Long story. But l'm not giving up on my plan to do this (travel in a pickup camper). The logistics are off, though.

So, I'm returning to teach as a sub this year to save money. In a nutshell, I was approved for disability, but my local Social Security office mistakenly told me I'd be getting $2250 next week. Since they did an early release of funds for a vehicle (the F250), I won't get my monthly checks for Aug., Sept. and Oct. << the $2250. Wish they had told me that sooner.

I didn't know how disability worked. I thought I could teach, as long as it's part-time and still get disability. You can work, but any income is subtracted from disability. Now my plan is to somehow get a total knee replacement (surgeon won't do it unless cardiologist says I "passed" a new stress test and my GP says my diabetes and thyroid are under control). Stress test is Friday... hope I pass. With a new knee I can make money teaching more than a couple days a week (for a good rig!) and travel on school breaks.

If I wait to buy a full size camper in the spring, the budget will be better... more like $5K. I wanted to travel this fall and maybe even visit the RTR in January. Not looking good atm, though.

Last night I found some campers that I thought would work with my truck. Maybe it would be a waste of time to share the links, since I'm not ready financially. Plus I called a few camper sellers and they were helpful. One man told me I shouldn't compromise with a topper if standing up is important to me. Plus, I love the old campers from the 70's and 80's. I think one of those will work... someday. As long as it has few amenities and doesn't extend beyond my bed and rails.

I'm blabbing. Thanks for replying tx2sturgis:)

PS. I love Capri's, but way too expensive.  I found a great deal on a Callen topper that I love, but I really want to stand up in my camper.

I searched for a truck camper for a couple of months trying to get the most bang per pound of weight. I ended up w/ a 1988 BigFoot 10.6 ft fiberglass camper. They made a 9.6 ft length as well, iirc. It needs lots of work but the camper tag stated it weighed something like 1400 lbs. I have plenty of truck so I wasn't worried about my gross vehicle weight, I just knew that I wanted the lightest camper that would provide what I needed.

Outside of a fiberglass model I was looking at pop ups. Bob's recommendation mentioning cold and wind were from his experience around them in the AZ desert winter, iirc, and, imo, those are drawbacks IF you will spend a lot of time in cold/windy weather. But, I don't think they're huge issues is you find the right camper with a plan to address those issues.

I was looking as vintage Alaskan hard side pop up campers which, though the years, have had many sizes/configurations. They're not light but the wind/cold problem is less an issue. An older 8 ft, non-cabover Alaskan might work if that's enough camper for you.

How the camper will be used w/ help determine what direction to look in as well as the match for your truck. What climate will it be used in the most, how much room do you need/want, details specific to your situation.

I'm a newb as well, just wanting to add what I can.

Hi MaTaLa,

I want to explore Illinois more. People here don't realize there is dispersed camping allowed in Shawnee National Forest (along with Army Corps sites in Illinois). Those spots are on my bucket list, but I also want to visit the entire country, lol. Well, as far as the money from teaching part-time will allow me. And for as long as my truck holds up.

In my dreams: Washington & Oregon, northern California, the lakes of northern Minnesota and Michigan, New England and Florida.

Not sure about living in the desert, but I do want to visit it and attend RTR. So, it seems I'll only be in the desert for a few weeks out of the year. Then again, if money is short, I may end up there for months. Once winter arrives in Illinois, I may reconsider the desert & choose to stay there longer.

Realistically, I doubt I'll be traveling that much annually, because of the gas expense. But those are places I want to visit.

I have 5 adult children, all in Illinois (I'm 60 and will be traveling solo, unless I can drag one of my kids along now & then), so I'm sure I'll want to return here often. I still own a house here and I'm not sure how I'll handle a mortgage and staying on the road for months. I think I can do it, as long as I can continue teaching.

I didn't see any fiberglass in my price range. I did see a beautiful old Alaskan non-cabover in Michigan, iirc.

Last night I found these: a 1994 Texson, a 2004 Mountain Star Travel Lite, 1990 Starcraft fleetstar 851, a 70's TEC, Fliteway from the 1970's and half a dozen more no-name ones from 70's and 80's. All for under $1200. Most were about $600. Seemed all needed work and a few needed roof work for leaks.

Northern Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan have so many old campers.

Edit: just saw your truck specs. You can haul just about anything with that!

Texson was the precursor for Northstar, a great brand. Same family different corporate structure. The fiberglass ones are more difficult to find but most of them are Canadian made.

The Travel Lite sounds really interesting. 

Ideally, we'd like to find something that is one/two owner and when stored it be under shelter. I probably would have just as easily ended up with a pop up of some type but I'm 6'4" and I wouldn't be able to stand upright in most of them. The Bigfoot allows me the necessary headroom.
It also had a toilet but no shower...yet. :)

A F250 is a fine truck and with some mirror suspension upgrades I'm sure will serve you fine. Rear air bags are a GREAT addition to add stability to a TC rig.

Be careful going back to work , I found out disability is on a state by state type of deal. It’s not supposed to be but it is . For instance when I got sick in 2007 and had my first lung surgery I was determined to be disabled right away . After a couple months I started drawing 1335 a month. I was paying child support when I got sick so they took 65% of my check . After 6 yrs I got that done and my old boss said I could come back part time. I’m a retired or disabled mechanic. If I would have went back and drew a check and paid taxes in my state , when I decided to quit I would have to prove I couldn’t work again . And since I was working that would be hard to do if my health issues were the same . They will tell you you can work but honestly I wouldn’t risk it especially if you don’t have too. Be careful it is easy to mess up disability, I know one guy they took pictures of him cutting his yard and told him to go to work.

Smitty716 said:
Be careful going back to work , I found out disability is on a state by state type of deal.

Thanks Smitty,

I already messed up with them when I switched from part-time to full-time in 2016. I originally applied for disability in 2013. But since I switched to full-time (only to discover I couldn't handle full-time) my back payments only went back to 2016. I can't live on $750 a month, though. That's what my payments will be. So, I'm going to attempt part-time 5 days a week. It'll give me double what disability pays. I guess I'm scared to give up my house. I wanted to leave it to my kids someday.

Next week I get the results of the non-stress test I had today. If my heart is stable, I'll feel more confident about giving up disability. And maybe I'll be approved for the knee surgery... making working easier.

I see what you are saying, though. If I give up disability and need it later... I screwed myself (again).

MaTaLa said:
The Travel Lite sounds really interesting. 
Yesterday I watched a ton of youtube vids on camping in truck toppers. I wasn't too excited until I saw one that was configured really well. The topper looked like a utility topper with a ladder to the roof rack. Fully insulated. The layout made all the difference. I definately don't want to be crawling over a big bed. This was a single bed/couch on one side and cabinets and counter on the other.

The only thing I (maybe) regret about the F250 is that it is regular cab. Extended cab would add much more storage.

A tall topper with a screen room, like a Clam, might work for me. I won't worry about it being too heavy or too tall..

Also, I want to stay as low tech as possible... except I do want some solar someday. I love the idea of solar, but I don't quite grasp how to install it=/

Edit: The Travel Lite had some water damage in the cab over area

Carla , talk to the kids . Me and my brothers don’t want my Moms house because it’s not the one we grew up in . Yours may not care if you get rid of it . Just a thought

I think you are right, Smitty. A couple of my kids have already told me that. Tonight my daughter questioned if it's a good idea to go off disability.

So many decisions.

And I still can't decide between a topper and a full size truck camper. Maybe a Bel-Air is best. They look like an in-between size. I couldn't find prices for  Eureka, but Bel-Air has prices on their web page.

Do you know of any others that make that size camper?

Have you watched Destination open roads YouTube vids ? Teri and Scott live in a truck camper . Might look at them. And if you sale the house and figure out what you want to live in , that might leave you with a little nest egg . Just in case something happens. Everyone Says have two to four thousand for repairs put back

Smitty716 said:
Have you watched Destination open roads YouTube vids ?

No, but I will:)

Yeah, I'm planning on keeping at least $3k for repairs. I'll shoot for $5k. That's why I'm looking on craigslist instead of at new toppers or campers.

Thanks, Smitty

Edit: first vid that came up was their hit and run:(

Ironically, that's partly how I ended up on disability. Was hit the same way: rear ended on the interstate. Only my car rolled 3 times. I was south bound on I-57 and my car rolled in the median. They found me in a ditch on the other side of the north bound lane. I flew! So... thanks for the vid! lol... kidding. It was a long time ago. But weird that it was the first vid to pop up.

Carla618 said:
I think you are right, Smitty. A couple of my kids have already told me that. Tonight my daughter questioned if it's a good idea to go off disability.

So many decisions.

And I still can't decide between a topper and a full size truck camper. Maybe a Bel-Air is best. They look like an in-between size. I couldn't find prices for  Eureka, but Bel-Air has prices on their web page.

Do you know of any others that make that size camper?

Callen toppers are high quality and hold their value pretty well. They were till 2008 anyway when, I am told, the owner turned the business over to his son. Now, in the last year or so, the original owner has started taking orders. Iirc, they're pretty heavy w/ a steel frame but the Baja guys used to swear by their durability.

MaTaLa said:
Callen toppers are high quality and hold their value pretty well. They were till 2008 anyway when, I am told, the owner turned the business over to his son. Now, in the last year or so, the original owner has started taking orders. Iirc, they're pretty heavy w/ a steel frame but the Baja guys used to swear by their durability.

I know. I really wanted one I found on craigslist and I think he still has it. It's a great deal. A little bigger than just a topper. It has a small cabover for storage. And a nice rack on top. It's not advertised as a Callen... the owner didn't know what it was. I zoomed in on the pic and saw the Callen name, then researched Callen. It'll be gone by the time I have the $875:(

I've talked to the guy and told him what he has. He was tickled to learn about Callens.