camper for F250

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B and C said:
Holes in bed over where the frame is and the 7 pin trailer wiring harness points to a hitch that was removed.  They pulled a trailer and the plug is where the trailer plugged in for lights/brakes, etc.  I think you said a farmer had it so makes sense.

The outlet in the dashboard appears to be a factory 12V power outlet.  Not sure though.

Thanks:) Guessing that'll make hooking up lights on a topper pretty easy. Well, easier than not having an outlet in the bed.

I'll test fuel tanks with it off. Thanks.

The truck did not come with an owner's manual. I'll see if I can get one off Ebay.

Smitty716 said:
If not mistaken, the one inside the bed was a fifth wheel plug . On fifth wheels a lot of times they will go threw the bed for the plug in for wiring . That’s the big hole , there Should be 8 smaller holes where the fifth wheel hitch mounted

ty:) I used to think I wanted a fifth wheel, because I read they are the easiest to tow. Probably be a pain to try to match up a hitch with those holes

yes it did have a 5er hitch which rally doesn't play along with the farmer/rancher story. 99% of farmer/ranchers use gooseneck hitches. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
yes it did have a 5er hitch which rally doesn't play along with the farmer/rancher story.  99% of farmer/ranchers use gooseneck hitches.  highdesertranger

I've heard that. Fell asleep watching youtube vids of F250's on youtube the other night, lol.

But the place where I read that 5th wheels tow the best, said few people use 5th wheels. The author sounded biased in favor of 5th wheels (vs. goosenecks), but he didn't say why exactly. He said few ppl have "true" 5th wheels today.

Edit: 5th wheel hitches

as far as how they tow there isn't any difference. the big difference are 5ers are much easier to hook up but goosenecks don't take up a lot of space in the bed. even with the trailer connected a gooseneck bed can be loaded with other equipment. highdesertranger

I know why he preferred 5th wheel hitches... because the website was about travel trailers:D

I just read this (you are right):

"Pro Tip: Gooseneck trailers are mostly used for agricultural or industrial use. We recommend purchasing a fifth wheel hitch when towing a trailer."

Maybe he was a farmer who owned a RV. That is very common. There was paperwork belonging to him in the glove box. He lived in a tiny farm town in central Illinois.

they make travel trailers with gooseneck hitches although a little rare they make them. if I had to choose between the two I would take gooseneck everyday, but I am use to them. highdesertranger

I had a gooseneck adapter built for a 5th wheeler in the 90's  I hate 5th wheel hitches, heavy and take up a lot of room.  Mostly too heavy for an old guy like me.

closeanuf said:
I had a gooseneck adapter built for a 5th wheeler in the 90's  I hate 5th wheel hitches, heavy and take up a lot of room.  Mostly too heavy for an old guy like me.

I know they take up most of the bed, but once installed, why does the weight matter? I don't know how they work. I thought they stayed in the bed permanently and you back the truck up to the 5th wheel trailer.

All the 5th wheel hitches I've seen can be removed from the bed when you aren't pulling the trailer, but they are heavy and you have to have someplace to store it.  The gooseneck is just SO MUCH EASIER and when it drops down on that ball you flip your latch and you are done.  5th wheel hitches can come loose and if you're lucky your tailgate will catch your trailer.  I know some folks like 5th wheel hitches, but I don't.  Just my opinion; I've had both and see no advantage to the 5th wheel hitch.

closeanuf said:
All the 5th wheel hitches I've seen can be removed from the bed when you aren't pulling the trailer, but they are heavy and you have to have someplace to store it.

Gotcha. Glad you pointed that out. I have no garage.

I have had quite a few truck campers and can tell you, having one with a toilet and shower is the best way to go, you can find some 8 ft campers from the 80's and early 90's that are priced within your price range, ask the seller if he can plug it in the night before you go to look at it so you can see if the fridge and A/C work, they are both very costly to replace. I did a topper but it kinda sucks when you have to go potty in the middle of the night and putting your clothes on isn't real fun either. I have a 1996 Ford F250 and after owning about every size camper there is, I picked a 2000 Lance 940, it is a 9.6ft camper and it has the best of both worlds, not as heavy as a bigger camper but lots more storage than a 8ft camper and a bigger bathroom than a 8ft as well. I would recommend air bags such as the firestone ones, they really help with the load and help the camper from leaning in turns. Look on ebay or craigslist for used camper tiedowns as they are a whole lot cheaper than new. the only other thing I can say is to look for one that has never leaked, they are hard to find but they are out there, number one spot to check is the cab over front window and around the roof vents, I am allergic to mold so for me it was a no brainer NO LEAKS.... once you get black mold its nearly impossible to get rid of it. I hope this helps you in some way and best wishes in finding the perfect camper!

Oh and the plug in the bed of the truck was for a 5th wheel but also works on most Campers and is located where the campers electrical cord will easily reach it.  The 12 volt outlet in the dash is for electronics, such as charging a cell phone or lap top, this way you don't have to use the cigarette lighter.  Some people new to trailers and 5th wheels don't like them because you have to back them up, which can be scary due to the length and the fact it is hard to see all the way to the back of the trailer, another thig is, if you go down a street or dirt road and it ends up to tight to turn around means you would have to back all the way out, thats the nice thing about a truck and camper, it's short and easy to turn around and you can fit in a regular parking spot, and it's a lot better for stealth camping and you fit in way more spaces and you don't have to worry about turning corners and hitting something. I have had a tear drop trailer, multiple truck campers, multiple travel trailers, a couple fifth wheels and about 4 motorhomes and in the end, I still chose a Lance 9.6ft camper.  :cool:

Attachments

• 20160220_120253_1487890370878_zpsyzuj69ki.jpg~c100.jpg
    20160220_120253_1487890370878_zpsyzuj69ki.jpg~c100.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 63
Did you ever find your camper? Living in slow dialup land by the river.

badlands said:
I would recommend air bags such as the firestone ones, they really help with the load and help the camper from leaning in turns. Look on ebay or craigslist for used camper tiedowns as they are a whole lot cheaper than new. the only other thing I can say is to look for one that has never leaked, they are hard to find but they are out there...

Sorry I unexpectedly left the forum October 31:) I had to stop thinking it was possible to buy anything for the truck.

Well, I did finally buy something... a 1990 Skamper truck camper with leaky overhead cab area for $300. (Think it leaked around roof vent too)

I see you recommend airbags, but the camper weighs 1400 lbs. Do I need them?

I did look on craigslist for used Torklift tiedowns but they make them specific for each truck so they are hard to find. I'll keep looking.

Sorry for the late reply. I'll try to add pics.

Hi,

I'm having trouble deciding on which type of camper to buy for my F250 pickup. I keep reading that most slide-in campers (in my price range) would overload my truck. But I've also read that old campers from the 70's and 80's are lighter than today's hard sided campers. I don't have much money for a camper so my selection is limited... I may end up with just a topper.

But being close to Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan I see so many old campers for cheap on craigslist. Many are 10 and 11 feet, though. I've found a couple 8 foot ones, but they are either pretty far away or they are popups.

Sometimes it seems silly to get a topper for the same price as a full size camper. So I guess I want to know for sure if those old campers would be too much for my truck. (Having trouble finding the load limits for the old ones on craigslist)

IIRC, Bob frowns against popups because they are colder and they let too much dust in. Not sure if he was referring to truck campers.

And, I think I read that he said to avoid anything that extends beyond your bed... so no 9 ft. plus. Recently I read to avoid basements... this is getting so confusing:D

My truck specs, if anyone knows of any old campers (of any length) that are on the light side:

XLT 2dr Reg Cab LB

Length 213.3 in.
Maximum towing capacity 10000 lbs.
Gross weight 8600 lbs.
Height 71.0 in.
Maximum payload 4045.0 lbs.
Wheel base 133.0 in.
Width 79.0 in.

Thanks!

(P.s. Also interested in your thoughts on popups)

Edit: Is this the wrong forum for campers on trucks? I just read "toppers" in the sub-heading
A year ago I was looking for a slide in camper for my F-250 the cheapest I could find was over $4,000, I decided on building my own, it's not pretty but it was cheap. Metal studs & 2 inch insulation, canvas & paint cost just over $400. I'll give up pretty for cheap every day.SUNP0002.JPG

Attachments

• SUNP0003.JPG
    SUNP0003.JPG
    410.8 KB · Views: 5
  • SUNP0002.JPG
    SUNP0002.JPG
    528.8 KB · Views: 5
A year ago I was looking for a slide in camper for my F-250 the cheapest I could find was over $4,000, I decided on building my own, it's not pretty but it was cheap. Metal studs & 2 inch insulation, canvas & paint cost just over $400. I'll give up pretty for cheap every day.
Very cool. How has it held up? Nice to be able to stand up in it and have a door instead of a gate. Good job! What year is your truck? It is in great condition. Mine has rust above the wheel wells (and one other spot).

Early on in this thread, someone asked about TravelLite. I have one. bought it new. Six months later all the issues including replacing the fridge are done. Right now it is winterized and waiting on warmer weather. This is the FK model. Hot water, stove, fridge (no freezer). I installed a maxxair fan instead of the simple vent it came with. I splurged and got electric jacks. I can load it and be ready to go in about 30 minutes. They are crap but this one is watertight and I've fixed all the other issues. I can sleep, stay warm and carry a small amount of food. There is no storage. It overloads an F150 but a chevy 2500 carries it with lots of extra room to carry weight. There are several videos on my youtube channel covering all I've done to it. I'm not full-time and probably never will be but I can pull over, sleep and use the porta-potty anyplace I can park the truck. I can stand up and the dog sleeps in her bed on the floor. Carries a 20lb propane tank and one 12v deep cycle for the battery. 30amp service or I can dog bone it and use 110 if I don't use the AC and microwave at the same time. I added 12v outlets and extra usb ports. it has 110 outlets inside and outside. It rides well although it feels top heavy so I'm gentle on curves. It fits with the tailgate closed so I still have use of my backup camera when traveling.

loaded.jpg